ILOVETACOTACO Turbo Kit - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #121
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 659
Total Cats: 66
Default

It's true, they have tested it several months without problems. It all kinda comes down to what your goals are.

I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Stephanie about it, and she did say flat out she would not hesitate to put the Shanghai kit on her own car.

However, she did also say that they do have a couple shanghai kits fail every year. She said that they are priced so that "if something goes wrong with the turbo, you can just buy another one because they're so cheap".

She also said that the ONLY garrett failures they've had are user induced. That means they've had absolutely ZERO issues with the turbo that are the fault of the turbo.

If it's going to be a track rat, and you're okay with the possibility that something could go wrong, have at it.

My goals are a little different. I'm going for a relatively conservative build that I want to be 100% reliable* because this car is for the most part my daily driver in the summer, and I'd hate to have gone on a 2hr cruise (something that's common in our local car club) and get stranded 90 miles from home because I decided to buy all super-high quality parts except for the one piece of equipment that gets the hottest, spins the fastest, needs to be most precise, and has the possibilty of causing MASSIVE damage to the rest of my engine if something fails with it.

It wasn't *that* long ago that people laughed at chinese intercoolers. Now they're fairly well accepted. However, the chinese still haven't proved that they can make a truly high-quality manifold that won't crack.. so I don't quite trust a turbo from them yet either. Maybe in the near future this will change..?

*by 100% reliable, I mean as reliable (or at least very close to) as the N/A engine. i understand that surprises can still happen.
mlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #122
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I won't argue this with you because you seem to know next to nothing and arguing vague stupid things.

I'll just ask:

Have you purchased from BEGi before?
Have you run a chinacharger for a substantial length of time?

I want to know because if you haven't, then you can go ahead and just stop posting in this thread altogether.
Hey it's cool. Does it matter what experience I have with anything involved here? Why start inquiring now? Most people here have already passed judgement, so we'll just leave it at that.
I'm the new guy to this forum, so that's the way it goes.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #123
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
It's true, they have tested it several months without problems. It all kinda comes down to what your goals are.

I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Stephanie about it, and she did say flat out she would not hesitate to put the Shanghai kit on her own car.

However, she did also say that they do have a couple shanghai kits fail every year. She said that they are priced so that "if something goes wrong with the turbo, you can just buy another one because they're so cheap".

She also said that the ONLY garrett failures they've had are user induced. That means they've had absolutely ZERO issues with the turbo that are the fault of the turbo.

If it's going to be a track rat, and you're okay with the possibility that something could go wrong, have at it.

My goals are a little different. I'm going for a relatively conservative build that I want to be 100% reliable* because this car is for the most part my daily driver in the summer, and I'd hate to have gone on a 2hr cruise (something that's common in our local car club) and get stranded 90 miles from home because I decided to buy all super-high quality parts except for the one piece of equipment that gets the hottest, spins the fastest, needs to be most precise, and has the possibilty of causing MASSIVE damage to the rest of my engine if something fails with it.

It wasn't *that* long ago that people laughed at chinese intercoolers. Now they're fairly well accepted. However, the chinese still haven't proved that they can make a truly high-quality manifold that won't crack.. so I don't quite trust a turbo from them yet either. Maybe in the near future this will change..?

*by 100% reliable, I mean as reliable (or at least very close to) as the N/A engine. i understand that surprises can still happen.
See that's good information to pass along. Which if anyone on here would go back and read, was all I was wanting to do. Find out which chinese stuff was good. Based on peoples experience with it. Every one of my posts was about this and only this. No name calling or put downs.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #124
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 3
Default

I've used my shanghai turbo without worries. the only thing that failed on me was my piston rings lolol
Canipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #125
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 659
Total Cats: 66
Default

Compression test, ************. Did you do it?
mlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #126
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp speed View Post
Hey it's cool. Does it matter what experience I have with anything involved here? Why start inquiring now? Most people here have already passed judgement, so we'll just leave it at that.
I'm the new guy to this forum, so that's the way it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp speed View Post
See that's good information to pass along. Which if anyone on here would go back and read, was all I was wanting to do. Find out which chinese stuff was good. Based on peoples experience with it. Every one of my posts was about this and only this. No name calling or put downs.
Cool way to back out of the argument...

For the record, many here that you're calling "most people" have done both, myself included.

Looks like you've done neither.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #127
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 659
Total Cats: 66
Default

I just find it amazing that 18psi and I are agreeing on something. :| Can we hold hands next?
mlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #128
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Cool way to back out of the argument...

For the record, many here that you're calling "most people" have done both, myself included.

Looks like you've done neither.
Ok.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #129
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Wow -12, and I've done nothing to nobody. LOL!
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #130
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Apparently people don't like what you're saying?
Here's some +props for at least not getting butthurt
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #131
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Apparently people don't like what you're saying?
Here's some +props for at least not getting butthurt
That's one thing I noticed quicker on here more so than the 20 or so other forums I am part of. I haven't said negative crap to anyone. And people get "butt hurt" over an idea or opinion. Kind of odd to me.
I try to talk to people on the interwebz as if they were standing in front of me. It's maturity thing I guess. Referring to a previous post. I'm old and experienced also. 39 years of it. Not to any particular model of car or motorcycle. I jump around trying everything. That's why I'm tolerant of people in the beginning. They see newbie, or low post count and instantly start waiving their "experience" around likes it's the biggest since Ron Jeremy. Not knowing who I am or what I know. But that would be a different thread.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #132
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,158
Total Cats: 131
Default

Maybe i'm off base on this and I am no huge watcher of "Big Bang Theory" but to me this forum has some elements of Sheldon's personality:

Quote:
Sheldon Lee Cooper[2] Ph.D, is a fictional character on the CBS television series The Big Bang Theory {stuff snipped}

Sheldon is a Caltech theoretical physicist who shares an apartment with his colleague and best friend, Leonard Hofstadter (Johnny Galecki). He is a former child prodigy with genius level IQ, but has an almost total lack of social skills, a tenuous understanding of humor, and has a very hard time recognizing irony and sarcasm in other people, although he himself often employs them. He exhibits highly idiosyncratic and narcissistic behavior and a general lack of humility or empathy. These characteristics provide the majority of the humor involving him, which has caused him to be described as the show's breakout character.[3][4][5][6] Despite speculation that Sheldon's personality traits may be consistent with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive personality disorder and asexuality,[5][7] co-creator Bill Prady has repeatedly stated that Sheldon's character was neither conceived nor developed with regard to any of these conditions.[7]
This is not an insult on the forum or any of it's members, but we don't hold people's hand unless they have proven they have done the work on their part first.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #133
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 659
Total Cats: 66
Default

As a fellow recent joiner of this forum I can tell you exactly what members of this forum don't like, and it's not when you share your opinion.

1) When you share your opinion *as if it was well known fact* and that you're a know-it-all (especially when you're wrong).

2) When you ask a question about something that's stickied/been discussed/"tribal knowledge".

The second is easier to do (in my opinion) as this "tribal knowledge" is scattered across 17 different stickies located in a few different places, some of which are several clicks deep... that being said, I've been amazed at the information that's buried on this forum. You just have to click through the DIY (all your answers) post, the "Your path to power" post, and a few others. You just have to spend a *very* long time looking before asking.
mlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #134
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
As a fellow recent joiner of this forum I can tell you exactly what members of this forum don't like, and it's not when you share your opinion.

1) When you share your opinion *as if it was well known fact* and that you're a know-it-all (especially when you're wrong).

2) When you ask a question about something that's stickied/been discussed/"tribal knowledge".

The second is easier to do (in my opinion) as this "tribal knowledge" is scattered across 17 different stickies located in a few different places, some of which are several clicks deep... that being said, I've been amazed at the information that's buried on this forum. You just have to click through the DIY (all your answers) post, the "Your path to power" post, and a few others. You just have to spend a *very* long time looking before asking.
Good thing I've done neither of those bad things.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #135
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp speed View Post
That's one thing I noticed quicker on here more so than the 20 or so other forums I am part of. I haven't said negative crap to anyone. And people get "butt hurt" over an idea or opinion. Kind of odd to me.
I try to talk to people on the interwebz as if they were standing in front of me. It's maturity thing I guess. Referring to a previous post. I'm old and experienced also. 39 years of it. Not to any particular model of car or motorcycle. I jump around trying everything. That's why I'm tolerant of people in the beginning. They see newbie, or low post count and instantly start waiving their "experience" around likes it's the biggest since Ron Jeremy. Not knowing who I am or what I know. But that would be a different thread.
A jack of all trades is a master of none.

Usually people here don't like people like you because what they say rarely is applicable or helpful. Its vague and only sounds helpful, but in reality is not.

No matter how much you try to sugarcoat it and be "mature" about it, you either know what you're talking about or you don't, and if you don't you stop acting like you do.

Here's an example for you: cheap ebay manifolds crack like humpty dumpty on a BP. They do not on most other cars. So any advice about those when talking about other cars is completely useless to the miata crowd.

Get my drift?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #136
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
A jack of all trades is a master of none.

Usually people here don't like people like you because what they say rarely is applicable or helpful. Its vague and only sounds helpful, but in reality is not.

No matter how much you try to sugarcoat it and be "mature" about it, you either know what you're talking about or you don't, and if you don't you stop acting like you do.

Here's an example for you: cheap ebay manifolds crack like humpty dumpty on a BP. They do not on most other cars. So any advice about those when talking about other cars is completely useless to the miata crowd.

Get my drift?
Why do you feel the need to resort to personal attacks? All the while invalidating your own point.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #137
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp speed View Post
Why do you feel the need to resort to personal attacks? All the while invalidating your own point.

I feel like we're not reading the same post, or you possess a different definition of "personal attack" than most.


That post was a "Here young one, let me take you aside and give you a few helpful hints for the future." Not "Your mother is a ***** and you enjoy ***** in and around your mouth."
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #138
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

+1
Either post up something that's actually valid/relevant or just shut up?
Stop being such a crybaby.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #139
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Total Cats: -15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
I feel like we're not reading the same post, or you possess a different definition of "personal attack" than most.


That post was a "Here young one, let me take you aside and give you a few helpful hints for the future." Not "Your mother is a ***** and you enjoy ***** in and around your mouth."
I was referring to the "Jack of all trades master of none" comment. All the while insinuating knowledge of cars other than a Miata while telling me that my knowledge of other cars is irrelevant.
warp speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #140
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Ok, **** it. Let's do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp speed View Post
I was referring to the "Jack of all trades master of none" comment.
Yeah, that hasn't been an insult since like... this century.

Quote:
All the while insinuating knowledge of cars other than a Miata
Oh man, that's offensive. Heaven forbid he acknowledge that you might know something about other cars.

Quote:
while telling me that my knowledge of other cars is irrelevant.
Much of it is. Especially when it comes to RWD BPs.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Tags
ebay turbo, i touched a girl once, neckbeard, not hit block, supercars.net, turbo kit, vaginal discharge, warpspeed's tiny e-penis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.