NC turbo kit miata.net - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #121
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

No way Tim. Don't tell them that. They'll crucify you. You'll be a "hater" no matter what you say afterwards.

lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
V-bands are more reliable than the non-inconel stud arrangement, don't have gaskets, and don't have space related problems for tightening some of the nuts. The downside is the turbine housings are less common and cost more.
Which is exactly what I was saying: why save money by making the mani less efficient only to dump more money into a vband hotside + ewg + etc?

I guess I'm just crazy, since these tools are all negging my posts despite clearly stating what I was getting at.

Everyone follows the logic, but refuses to agree with it for fear of the "anti-haters"

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #122
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default


$1000 for that ****? ROFL!




Those blue couplers make me sick. Why blue couplers? at least use blue ones.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #123
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I've only built one log manifold ever, for a local kid who gave me all the material and just paid me to weld it. It was not Vband.

Maybe you are confusing it with my BEGI/FM replacement mani which isn't a log at all. Has a collector similar to the original absurdflow style, just built with tight radius bends instead of long rad. bends and orientated/rotated 90 deg so that the flange is vertical, not horizontal.
I was thinking of the manifold that you built for ScottFW. I know it was AC/PS compatible and not your typical low mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Which is exactly what I was saying: why save money by making the mani less efficient only to dump more money into a vband hotside + ewg + etc?

I guess I'm just crazy, since these tools are all negging my posts despite clearly stating what I was getting at.

Everyone follows the logic, but refuses to agree with it for fear of the "anti-haters"

You keep getting held up on its all about saving money. That is not the only consideration that TDR had to work with. How do you know that with both the RHD and LHD setups that you could fit a standard GT2871 with a t2 flange and internal gate with a fancy manifold? How about routing the downpipe on that internally gated turbo? Can you fit it around the steering column? We all know with larger exhausts that Garrett internal waste gates tend to creep, even with porting it is still known to happen. How do you know they didn't test an internally gated turbo on a fancy manifold and could not control boost creep. Maybe that is why they went with external waste gate which would then be needed with whatever manifold they went with.

All you see is a log manifold, v-bands, ewg. YES a log,v-bands, ewg is not the most efficient in a perfect world. Unfortunately the NC engine bay is not a perfect world. You have to make trade offs when building a production setup that is going to go on a car that is sold on multiple continents in different configurations. I am willing to bet TDR has been through most of that to figure out what works the best with what trade offs.

What if they went your idea of going with a fancy great flowing manifold but it added $750 to the kit? Or if they went with a standard t2 flanged GT2871 and internal gate but it only saved $50 because of routing of things?

Last edited by shuiend; 03-11-2013 at 12:37 PM.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #124
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11
Total Cats: -11
Default

Hey Just wanted to stop by and drop some of my bad grammar and spelling here.
I actually learned very much from this forum by just lurking and absorbing since 2010. you guys diffidently got this stuff down.

I also wanted to thank you for the critic and advice, is just about the only beneficial thing I gotten for free in this business.


We took it all in, perhaps you did not get to see our final manifolds for the TDR1.
Of course someone can always make a better one we are well aware of that, perhaps one day we can get one of those guys mention here to build our stuff, but I think the final many came out Ok. here is a picture.

No more tacking and no more gaskets promise....LOL



As far as the TDR2, that presented some serious challenges as far as space. we imported our own RHD setup and then we build 4 manifolds
Even-though they all worked they all presented an issue or another.
here is my favorite, I probably keep this on my car as it could well put out serious power that my build engine can certainly take; however due the serious heat was not commercially feasible.




See what I mean about heat, needs a swaintek coating and serious wrapping.

.


The reason for our current use of V bands on the log, was mainly to allow a quick exchange in housings as we are determined to make this kit the end of the supercharger for the NC
A .64 for superb response, ad a .86 track use.
It will also allow those in Carb places to return car to stock in 2 hours.


I want to specially thank all those who even-though were though on their comments, were none the less very fair to us and continue to be, after all we are all in this same mess together.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newmanifold_zps86d2e545.jpg (89.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2246_zpsd6a413ed.jpg (85.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344_zpsbfc3fa5b.jpg (111.4 KB, 143 views)
blackone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #125
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Thank you for your input. I get it now. As shiuend said: I guess I was getting too hung up on your "to save money" statement, when in fact that was not the goal with your log design.

So are you planning on offering the choice of all 3 or are the others now considered one offs?

That last one looks really cool actually.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #126
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Is there any particular reason you are cutting the flanges so close to the exhaust port openings?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #127
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Is there any particular reason you are cutting the flanges so close to the exhaust port openings?
So you cant tighten the nuts. I thought that was obvious. By the time u're done if u still have ur knuckles the bolts aren't tight.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #128
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Thank you for your input. I get it now. As shiuend said: I guess I was getting too hung up on your "to save money" statement, when in fact that was not the goal with your log design.

So are you planning on offering the choice of all 3 or are the others now considered one offs?

That last one looks really cool actually.
The first one is still available as his manifold for the tdr1 kit I believe, which is only for LHD cars, and the log is available as the tdr2 manifold for LHD and rhd. The long one is a one off for personal use only and experimentation.

I'm pretty impressed TDR went through the work to get one manifold to work with LHD and RHD cars.

Now the final frontier is to prove to jay that an efr will fit with a sexy manifold made by yours truly. I'll do all the design work jay, and you can implement my final design in a kit and pay me royalties .
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #129
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Omfg, they want 900 bucks for those charge pipes? What the actual ****

This is a very nice charge pipe kit for a Honda, perfect fitment:


$250...
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #130
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11
Total Cats: -11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyworks View Post
The first one is still available as his manifold for the tdr1 kit I believe, which is only for LHD cars, and the log is available as the tdr2 manifold for LHD and rhd. The long one is a one off for personal use only and experimentation.

I'm pretty impressed TDR went through the work to get one manifold to work with LHD and RHD cars.

Now the final frontier is to prove to jay that an efr will fit with a sexy manifold made by yours truly. I'll do all the design work jay, and you can implement my final design in a kit and pay me royalties .
.

Heck yeah!!
we got to talk.
blackone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.