Noob to this, not to that... - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cicero, NY
Posts: 63
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissetsfire View Post
It isn't 2007 anymore. it's been a good 7 years since [bandaids have] been considered acceptable.
The bitch of that is, the stickied FAQ is from 2007, and it seems to be friendly to all sorts of bandaids, ancient injectors and other hardware that offend the veterans here. You can't tell someone to Search or to read the stickied threads; they'll stumble onto that thing and be significantly misled, which brings us to situations like this.
LetItSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #42
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,191
Total Cats: 260
Default

You mean the FAQ from 2006 where it was suggested EVEN THEN the best option was and still is a standalone ECU...

https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo...big-post-4288/
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
1.8 rotors/calipers slotted and drilled. 15x7.5 tr motorsports 11.5lb wheels with 225/45r15 bfg rivals.
Why man-sized tires on boy-sized wheels?
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #44
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Why man-sized tires on boy-sized wheels?

Unsprung weight savings. Wheels only have to be big enough to clear your brakes, nothing more.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
Unsprung weight savings. Wheels only have to be big enough to clear your brakes, nothing more.
Then why not run smaller tires that work better on your smaller wheels? They would weigh less. More unsprung weight savings!
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #46
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
What pad compound?
Ebc yellow.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #47
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Then why not run smaller tires that work better on your smaller wheels? They would weigh less. More unsprung weight savings!

Because I don't feel 205s are going to adequately handle the boost.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
Ebc yellow.
Get pads that don't suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
Because I don't feel 205s are going to adequately handle the boost.
Get wheels that fit your tires.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #49
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,191
Total Cats: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
Because I don't feel 205s are going to adequately handle the boost.
At 225whp, with a 5 speed and 4.10 LSD a proper 195 tire will handle it.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #50
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Get pads that don't suck.



Get wheels that fit your tires.
I mean the wheels are on pretty good . I don't see how these don't fit. Nor do I see how my brakes suck.

Come on guys, in my wife's full bolt on/tuned '90 I can break the tires free. And she's rocking 205s.

The ring/pinion I got is the 4.30 from the 99-02? Torsen.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
I mean the wheels are on pretty good . I don't see how these don't fit. Nor do I see how my brakes suck.

Come on guys, in my wife's full bolt on/tuned '90 I can break the tires free. And she's rocking 205s.

Sounds like her tires or suspension sucks.

I have those pads on my car. They're ******* awful.

The point we're making is that 1) you don't need 225s to hook up weaksauce power, and 2) those 225s crammed on some 7.5s aren't doing you any good. Probably nothing better than cheaper 205s would do. If you want to run 225s, i'd suggest going up to 9" wheels. The extra pound per corner won't kill you.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #52
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Sounds like her tires or suspension sucks.

I have those pads on my car. They're ******* awful.

The point we're making is that 1) you don't need 225s to hook up weaksauce power, and 2) those 225s crammed on some 7.5s aren't doing you any good. Probably nothing better than cheaper 205s would do. If you want to run 225s, i'd suggest going up to 9" wheels. The extra pound per corner won't kill you.
My 2004 gti had 17x7s with 225s from the factory. I've got an additional .5"

The wheels fit great. I see no reason to run a wider wheel besides the fact that it is ever so slightly doing the opposite of poke n stretch , mad fly stance, yo. *shocker sign*
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #53
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
My 2004 gti had 17x7s with 225s from the factory. I've got an additional .5"

The wheels fit great. I see no reason to run a wider wheel besides the fact that it is ever so slightly doing the opposite of poke n stretch , mad fly stance, yo. *shocker sign*

If performance doesn't concern you, then you can just say so, and i'll go back to my table. There's a reason why nobody on here runs 225s on a wheel that narrow.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #54
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
If performance doesn't concern you, then you can just say so, and i'll go back to my table. There's a reason why nobody on here runs 225s on a wheel that narrow.
The reason is?
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #55
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Because it sucks. We will only spoon feed you so much.

Right now you've got a bastard setup that could be better going with your choice of smaller tires or larger wheels. You're in this weird middle ground that is ripe for improvement.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #56
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Because it sucks. We will only spoon feed you so much.

Right now you've got a bastard setup that could be better going with your choice of smaller tires or larger wheels. You're in this weird middle ground that is ripe for improvement.

I mean, you say that but according to bfgoodrich I can use this wheel on a 15x7 to a 15x8.5, so that's my source for information I just want to know yours.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #57
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Source: Every successful competition Miata on this site, ever.

If you want to sit at the grown-up table, you run 205/50 on an 8, 225/45 on a 9, 245/40 on a 10, or 275/35 on a 10 or 11.



There's a difference between "can" and "good."
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #58
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

I agree. However, I don't have supporting documentation. Our local boosted guy (all 3 of them) do not run that setup. So what I have experienced is different from what you're telling me, so without some sort of proper evidence we have your suggestion which in sure is valid but no proof, so I can't really put new tires on my budget list when I'm here trying to save money for a megasquirt man. The tires are already on the wheels , which are already on the car.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #59
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

Good luck.


Our love has grown stale and stagnant. I'm going to find someone else.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #60
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Total Cats: -33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Good luck.


Our love has grown stale and stagnant. I'm going to find someone else.
Lol, thanks man. The closest thing I could find to proof of your claim, is the following from the other miata site.

Some guy on the other miata website says...

Regarding the 205 vs 225 comparison - the tire width in relation to wheel width has to be taken into account. On an 8 inch rim, 205/50 will create more grip than 225/45. The 225/45 needs a 9 inch rim to create max grip. The reason is the flex and squirm in the sidewall. Putting just a slight stretch stabilizes the contact patch. If the tire is wider than the wheel, it can deflect and deform more laterally, reducing overall grip. Similar to backpacking with loose stuff shifting around in the pack - it throws you off balance.

The spec Miata probably had 7" rims, and so could not maximize what the 225 had to offer.

This has been tested on higher hp turbo miatas - same driver/track/day.

However I inherited this setup from a friend who is pretty big time in racing, it was super cheap, and so far it works. When the tires go, I'll re-evaluate tire selection for next season.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96 montego blue nOOb from Milwaukee Squiblez Meet and Greet 1 09-23-2015 02:50 AM
VE analyze and Autotune seems funny (noob) TorqueZombie MEGAsquirt 64 09-18-2015 06:03 PM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM
Compression test results Colipto General Miata Chat 3 09-11-2015 02:44 PM
timing marks don't match crank pulley gfeeley Engine Performance 10 09-04-2015 06:36 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.