Oil in the Intake - Help - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

pretty sure the issue at this point is beyond pcv related.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
pretty sure the issue at this point is beyond pcv related.
Agreed, but his implementation of a catch can isn't helping anything, so I thought I'd throw in my .
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

Here are the pictures including the pictures of what I assembled to get to that point.
















2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

All you needed to do was put both (pcv and vent) hoses in a can and cap your intake mani port. That would have caught any oil that might be ejecting during boost blow-by. Like I said, there's a ton of info here on catch cans, how they work, how to build them and how to install them. The intake side photo above looks correct. I can't tell where the vent hose goes on the exhaust side after it leaves the catch can.

Quote:
...after intercooler before going to intake...
If you did indeed hook up a vent hose to an intercooler pipe, then you essentially boosted your crankcase (as mentioned). That usually puts oil in places it shouldn't go and does other worse things depending on the amount and length of pressure. My guess is you've got a bunch of oil in your intake and/or intercooler and piping now.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #25
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

where's the breather side one going back to? i cant tell.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
where's the breather side one going back to? i cant tell.

it comes out from the VC, goes back behind the washer fluid bottle, then goes in the "in" of the catch can, the out goes by the throttle body.

the pics above that on the other end, it comes out of the VC, goes through the catch can, around the ps fluid container and goes into the tube that connects the turbo and the air filter.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

this looks like the breather/vent side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (244.7 KB, 49 views)
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
it comes out from the VC, goes back behind the washer fluid bottle, then goes in the "in" of the catch can, the out goes by the throttle body.

the pics above that on the other end, it comes out of the VC, goes through the catch can, around the ps fluid container and goes into the tube that connects the turbo and the air filter.
That's correct. Did that allow for pressurizing the crankcase?
2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
All you needed to do was put both (pcv and vent) hoses in a can and cap your intake mani port. That would have caught any oil that might be ejecting during boost blow-by. Like I said, there's a ton of info here on catch cans, how they work, how to build them and how to install them. The intake side photo above looks correct. I can't tell where the vent hose goes on the exhaust side after it leaves the catch can.


If you did indeed hook up a vent hose to an intercooler pipe, then you essentially boosted your crankcase (as mentioned). That usually puts oil in places it shouldn't go and does other worse things depending on the amount and length of pressure. My guess is you've got a bunch of oil in your intake and/or intercooler and piping now.
I understood the concept with the pcv and vent going to the catch can, but I was trying to stop oil in the lines and return the lines back to where are supposed to be going. I thought if put a catch can that is vented to the air without return lines, the car may not pass emissions. I don't know, may be that's the wrong line of thinking.
2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #30
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

I took that whole setup back off the car and the smoking was still the same. The only part of it that is still on the car is that PCV.
2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #31
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

sounds like you have dead rings.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #32
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

I just put the car up on stands. I found oil running down the piping from the compressor outlet to the intercooler. None around the intercooler/piping connection, none on the other side of the intercooler and none by the intake.
I also found oil on the turbo/downpipe connection, running down all the way to the Cat.
I found oil that have seeped from the the oil cap as well. It looked like it seeped down over the VC gasket, but the rest of the VC gasket looks fine, so I'm guessing it is from the oil cap.
That's what I have found so far.
I hope I don't have dead rings. I know that my compression numbers are low and may have issues down the line, but I really don't want to deal with anything major at this point.
2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #33
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Total Cats: 0
Default

Another update - I decided to remove the 323 GTX PCV valve and check it out... It was stuck! Brand new valve, peace of crap. Anyway, put the one I had before that, and drove until I burnt almost all the oil off (It's sleet and snow here, so I can't burn everything off). The car is back to where it was before. Small smoke cloud after boosting (and skidding on the snow), letting go then applying the throttle again. The reason I was putting in those catch cans in the first place!!!
I guess I should have left that PCV valve on and tried the setup I had. Oh well, I don't want to deal with it for now. May be in a week or two.
2002SilverMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002SilverMiata View Post
Another update - I decided to remove the 323 GTX PCV valve and check it out... It was stuck! Brand new valve, peace of crap. Anyway, put the one I had before that, and drove until I burnt almost all the oil off (It's sleet and snow here, so I can't burn everything off). The car is back to where it was before. Small smoke cloud after boosting (and skidding on the snow), letting go then applying the throttle again. The reason I was putting in those catch cans in the first place!!!
Seriously, try removing the PCV system altogether. If you have an emissions inspection, you can reinstall it in about 15 minutes for the duration, and then remove it again.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.