Front wing - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #41
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 10
Default

love it !!!
for those of you thinking about running this on a PT car.
Greg already said, you bring it, we ban it (or add a ton of points to it)
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #42
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 655
Total Cats: 281
Default

William, the wing is a nice shortcut, but you can definitely make the extra downforce within the PT rules.
The shortcut is that you can tune it easier on the spot without replacing parts, but given that PT allows splitters and dive planes, it can all be done

Moti
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
Ian
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
So that Lotus posted a bit earlier in this thread...

Took first place in Pro ("Unlimited") at the UK time attack.
(btw it's running a twin-charged K-series swap)

All hail front wings!
Must have taken first at one of the races. It looks like it's in 6th place currently:
2013 Championship Points

Never trust what you read on Speedhunters.

I found a high quality YouTube channel that covers these UK races. Hope nobody's busy for the next hour or so:
Togethia TV on YouTube
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #44
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,863
Total Cats: 485
Default

Woah there Mr. Doubter Pants

It did take first at one of the events, that's exactly what I meant. Wasn't implying anything beyond that, nor was Speedhunters AFAIK. Their series awards additional points for the preliminary qualifying results, so there is someone who netted more points for the event than him, but if you place your mouse over the highlighted "DR(0)" for that third event, the final results for that event pop up below, where you can see that Simon Scuffham (Lotus Exige S1) clocked the fastest final time with a 1:12.176.

Looking at his overall results, he missed the first event so naturally he wouldn't be in the running for top place in the overall season.

Furthermore, his finishing result of the second event is only poor because he appears to not have run later in the event (mechanical issue?) But, in the qualifying he was the fastest overall. There's 7 events for the season, so the fat lady is definitely not singing yet at 6th in points after only 3 events. If they can get that Lotus running reliably, it looks like it has a good shot.

My main point was that said car is rocking a front wing and is doing admirably well against some very stiff competition in the UK time attack circuit.


Last edited by ThePass; 06-14-2013 at 02:50 PM.
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 409
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
love it !!!
for those of you thinking about running this on a PT car.
Greg already said, you bring it, we ban it (or add a ton of points to it)
Did he give any explanation as to why?
Handy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #46
Ian
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
My main point was that said car is rocking a front wing and is doing admirably well against some very stiff competition in the UK time attack circuit.

No need for a novel on this one. Neither you or Speedhunters were very specific about it being one race.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #47
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 655
Total Cats: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Man View Post
Did he give any explanation as to why?
Probably to prevent an arms race, especially since you're talking about something as sensitive as a front wing in terms of both performance and longevity in a w2w environment...

Moti
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #48
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 655
Total Cats: 281
Default

From a recent post on the WTAC FB page -
Attached Thumbnails
Front wing-463_629526203726556_642233193_n.jpg  
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #49
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
Woah there Mr. Doubter Pants

It did take first at one of the events, that's exactly what I meant. Wasn't implying anything beyond that, nor was Speedhunters AFAIK. Their series awards additional points for the preliminary qualifying results, so there is someone who netted more points for the event than him, but if you place your mouse over the highlighted "DR(0)" for that third event, the final results for that event pop up below, where you can see that Simon Scuffham (Lotus Exige S1) clocked the fastest final time with a 1:12.176.

Looking at his overall results, he missed the first event so naturally he wouldn't be in the running for top place in the overall season.

Furthermore, his finishing result of the second event is only poor because he appears to not have run later in the event (mechanical issue?) But, in the qualifying he was the fastest overall. There's 7 events for the season, so the fat lady is definitely not singing yet at 6th in points after only 3 events. If they can get that Lotus running reliably, it looks like it has a good shot.

My main point was that said car is rocking a front wing and is doing admirably well against some very stiff competition in the UK time attack circuit.

Scuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 655
Total Cats: 281
Default

May I presume that "Scuffers" is Mr. Scuffham?
Ahh the wonders of the interwebz
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #51
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
May I presume that "Scuffers" is Mr. Scuffham?
Ahh the wonders of the interwebz
You presume right!

and yes, the power of Google! (came up with this thread in the 'talked about' bit)
Scuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #52
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 655
Total Cats: 281
Default

Nice
Well don't just sit there rolling your thumbs together, spill the beans buddy... haha!
Do share what details you can - what wing? CFD done? how was the position determined etc...

Thanks!

Moti
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #53
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 1
Default

LOL!

not much to tell, I am not the aero guy, that's Simon McBeath

The history is this, the car belongs to Jamie Willson, he ran it in TA first in 2010 then 2012.

last year he added a *HUGE* rear wing to it, (along with a shed load of other stuff) and whilst it worked great (and he won the Club-Pro championship), it pushed the car into high-speed understeer.

After a lot of thought/conversations/etc. Simon came up with a list of stuff to look at, including a front wing, Jamie then fabricated all this stuff and got it ready for test, we then got 3 hours time in MIRA's full size wind-tunnel to test out this stuff (nothing like enough, but beggars can't be choosers!)



can't say much about this yet, as it was done off the back of some work for Racecar Engineering Magazine, and till it's fully published, we are not at liberty to publish anything about it.

Anyway, much as I hate the look of it, it does work, but not in the way most people would think, however, it had moved the aero balance forward significantly (along with a load of other stuff).

not really had the chance to fully test it out at the track yet, as we are suffering a lot of niggles with the car (teething stuff from other work done for this year), but what I can tell you is that we have not really scratched the surface of the cars ultimate pace yet, and the aero package is very significant, to the point we are having to change the cars suspension setup to account for it (a lot more than we though we would).

if you want to real up on the car, Jamie has a website here: about it, and a facebook page here:

My part in all of this apart from being the test-pilot is I am the engineer behind most of the cars mechanical build, from the suspension and powertrain package though to the electronics.

Anyway, I think that's enough trumpet blowing for now! (feel free to ask anything)

Cheers

Simon
Scuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #54
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Probably to prevent an arms race, especially since you're talking about something as sensitive as a front wing in terms of both performance and longevity in a w2w environment...

Moti
what Moti said.
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.