Help me pick new track car - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #61
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Total Cats: -9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
I live in a hurricane zone and flood zone. Does that count? I think they get mudslides, fires, and quakes over in Savs area. Does that count? lol If you were to take all cars that had a note on them and make it illegal to track them you would only see miata's and older porsche's. You also would loose that sweet Audi R8 vid on youtube.
I don't care about you or your car. I just thought it was funny that Savington compared totaling an unpaid car while racing to 70% of homeowners who don't own their house.

Just get an S2000. All the cool kids are doing it, you should too.
Trackwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #62
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not completely sober so this may be a stupid question lol) but what is up with the latest craze over s2000's?

You're thinking of one, Jay is thinking of one, etc.

lets say you want dead reliable car that you can drive to/from track and not have more power than driver. Why not go rotrex+ic+ms+injecdtors, some really good suspension (like xida, etc), 6uls with your choice of sticky tires.
You'd be looking at around 200whp in a much lighter car that is just as capable, for right around 10k maybe even less.

Or am I missing something?

Should you decide to start modifying in the future, stuff for an s2k is TONS more expensive than a miata. whether you do sc, turbo, or pretty much anything: it makes miata mod prices look like chump change.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #63
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwhore View Post
I don't care about you or your car. I just thought it was funny that Savington compared totaling an unpaid car while racing to 70% of homeowners who don't own their house.
My point was that here's a big difference between being able to afford something and being able to pay cash for it. If he understand that crashing his car means making payments on a dream, and he can still afford to get to work on Monday (and every other day) after crashing his car on Sunday, then I don't understand why you are still yapping about it.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #64
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwhore View Post
I don't care about you or your car. I just thought it was funny that Savington compared totaling an unpaid car while racing to 70% of homeowners who don't own their house.

Just get an S2000. All the cool kids are doing it, you should too.
You ever seen somebody walk into a room that nobody likes, and then everyone stops talking and stares at the guy. This is YOU in this thread.

I'm about to get divorced from my forth wife and I'm selling off all of my assets, off shoring the money, financing everything. When she comes to take my stash I'll tell her wife number three took the cash. When the smoke and powder clears, I'll pay everthing off. Too bad you turned out so vile in my thread. I've actually got about 10 exotics that I don't track in a hanger in Pasadena. I figured with your screen name and your ip location you wouldn't mind a little 100k job offer I had in mind. I guess I'll keep driving my cool S2K, and let all my crappy cars in Pasadena get washed by this crappy temp agency out there. I'll be in town on business at noon. I'll be at the Trattoria Tre Venezie on Green meeting with the CEO of Jacob's Engineering if you want to come by and talk about it. Look for my silver Mercedes with the trackHQ sticker. Peace guys...early flight.
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #65
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

lmao
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #66
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
lets say you want dead reliable car that you can drive to/from track and not have more power than driver. Why not go rotrex+ic+ms+injecdtors, some really good suspension (like xida, etc), 6uls with your choice of sticky tires.
You'd be looking at around 200whp in a much lighter car that is just as capable, for right around 10k maybe even less.

Or am I missing something?
Clean NB $6k (NAs are 5-10 years older and don't compare in interior quality)
Rotrex $3k
IC $250
MS $500
clutch $300
injectors $150
XIDAs $2700
6ULs $850

~$13.5k (add it yourself if you want an exact figure, lazy chumpz)

Same price as a nice S2k, more expensive than a shitty one. I'd never own one because they are too expensive to repair after off-track incidents and too small/not comfortable enough to use as a daily driver.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #67
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

Yup, bang for the buck is my game and the S2000 looks good. I did the math just like Sav on about 10 different cars, the S2K comes out on top everytime. Thats also why I like to off shore every once in a while, I get a bigger Bang from my Buck everytime...lol I hope wife four doesn't subscribe to MT.net
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #68
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
look for my silver mercedes with the trackhq sticker. Peace guys...early flight.
b+
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #69
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
all fluids $100
spare rotors $150
17x9's with 255 rs3's $1300
sway bar $150
track pads $200
saftey?
traqmate $1000
$2900 plus safety stuff
you are missing few must:

1. camber kit. w/o it, you will go through tires every other track day.
2. oil catch can. AP1 demands it. AP2 have no issue.
3. BSK kit - a must on AP1. snap oversteer is real.
4. DIY brake duct.

recommended:
5. a small wing, GTC200 or so. it helps a ton on S2000. mounted it on a cheap trunk. you can remove trunk with 4 10mm bolts.
6. if you are going aftermarket wheels. go 17x9" 6UL front with 255/40 and 17x10" 6UL rear with 275/40.

as for safety. it is safer than a Miata with roll bar. S2000 a-frame is strong in a roll over. I've seen 3 rolled, all intact. problem with S2000 roll bar is you cant (technically you can, but a lots of work) use stock belts. so you must go aftermarket seat/harness.
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #70
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

Unlimited class miatas are running high 1:50s at BW
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #71
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,109
Total Cats: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
you are missing few must:

1. camber kit. w/o it, you will go through tires every other track day.
2. oil catch can. AP1 demands it. AP2 have no issue.
3. BSK kit - a must on AP1. snap oversteer is real.
4. DIY brake duct.

recommended:
5. a small wing, GTC200 or so. it helps a ton on S2000. mounted it on a cheap trunk. you can remove trunk with 4 10mm bolts.
6. if you are going aftermarket wheels. go 17x9" 6UL front with 255/40 and 17x10" 6UL rear with 275/40.

as for safety. it is safer than a Miata with roll bar. S2000 a-frame is strong in a roll over. I've seen 3 rolled, all intact. problem with S2000 roll bar is you cant (technically you can, but a lots of work) use stock belts. so you must go aftermarket seat/harness.
Thanks for picking out the stuff I missed William. So are you saying there is a way to run a harness with the stock bar? Also, I would prefer to run a square setup on the tires. Can I make it stable with a square setup, a sway bar, and a wing?
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #72
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

I love when peoplemake assumptions about somebody based on their financial decisions. Especially when they don't know the person. Good for you jacob300zx; I'm following this s2k thread closely.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 505
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
You ever seen somebody walk into a room that nobody likes, and then everyone stops talking and stares at the guy. This is YOU in this thread.

I'm about to get divorced from my forth wife and I'm selling off all of my assets, off shoring the money, financing everything. When she comes to take my stash I'll tell her wife number three took the cash. When the smoke and powder clears, I'll pay everthing off. Too bad you turned out so vile in my thread. I've actually got about 10 exotics that I don't track in a hanger in Pasadena. I figured with your screen name and your ip location you wouldn't mind a little 100k job offer I had in mind. I guess I'll keep driving my cool S2K, and let all my crappy cars in Pasadena get washed by this crappy temp agency out there. I'll be in town on business at noon. I'll be at the Trattoria Tre Venezie on Green meeting with the CEO of Jacob's Engineering if you want to come by and talk about it. Look for my silver Mercedes with the trackHQ sticker. Peace guys...early flight.
Ok get the S2K.

Now what about this 100k job...?
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #74
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

I still say go nsx. Should be able to find one for a good price.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #75
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

LSx swapped FD.*




*recommendation made with zero track experience and zero first hand experience of FD's, swapped or otherwise.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #76
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Total Cats: -9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
You ever seen somebody walk into a room that nobody likes, and then everyone stops talking and stares at the guy. This is YOU in this thread.

I'm about to get divorced from my forth wife and I'm selling off all of my assets, off shoring the money, financing everything. When she comes to take my stash I'll tell her wife number three took the cash. When the smoke and powder clears, I'll pay everthing off. Too bad you turned out so vile in my thread. I've actually got about 10 exotics that I don't track in a hanger in Pasadena. I figured with your screen name and your ip location you wouldn't mind a little 100k job offer I had in mind. I guess I'll keep driving my cool S2K, and let all my crappy cars in Pasadena get washed by this crappy temp agency out there. I'll be in town on business at noon. I'll be at the Trattoria Tre Venezie on Green meeting with the CEO of Jacob's Engineering if you want to come by and talk about it. Look for my silver Mercedes with the trackHQ sticker. Peace guys...early flight.
I can be there at noon, but only if the drinks are on you.

I'll definitely eat before I come though. That place only got 3.5 stars. :(
Trackwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #77
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Thanks for picking out the stuff I missed William. So are you saying there is a way to run a harness with the stock bar? Also, I would prefer to run a square setup on the tires. Can I make it stable with a square setup, a sway bar, and a wing?
square setup - square setup is good, as you can rotate tires. just saying you can fit 10" at rear with 275/40, that gives you more total grip. but 9" with 255 square is a proven setup. you can make it stable with a sway bar and wing, no problem.

I have to look up harness setup (what I said in earlier post was it is almost impossible to run stock belt once you have a roll bar in). with a stock roll hoop, I am not sure about a harness. not sure if want that, unless you have a low race seat, and are a short person. but I would think it is doable. you just don't use wrap around belt, but mounted the rear harness belts on rear shelf. I will ask.
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #78
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 387
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotpsi? View Post
Unlimited class miatas are running high 1:50s at BW
who ?
I know 1:54s and 1:55s (Savington did this in summer, so probably 1:52s in winter).
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 505
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
who ?
I know 1:54s and 1:55s (Savington did this in summer, so probably 1:52s in winter).
I think Emilio has done a 1:53 or 4 and Sav did a PB at the last race with a 1:55.8
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
LSx swapped FD.*
That is not a bad suggestion. I know someone who is/was seriously racing one of these (LS1 engine) and it is fast. He bought it new and used it for autox (lots of LTDs) but had all of the typical problems with the sequential turbo setup. It was in the shop a lot under warranty. Finally he grew weary of that and did the LS1 swap. It is road raced in that configuration with big Hoosiers and a fast driver.

FDs are beautiful cars IMO. I saw one in perfect condition on display (not for sale) in a local Mazda dealership and it was the best looking car on the lot.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM


Tags
chocolate wasted, jake>death, s2000>miata, unsafe at any speed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.