Miata Flat Underbody - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #121
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rockford
Posts: 86
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Man View Post
not air piston jacks. WRC cars have reinforced cylindrical holes in the sides and their jacks have pins that insert into them.
Yup, Google wrc tire change or something or wrc jacks. Some gt1 style air jacks would be dope though
98mystique2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #122
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default Under tray, under engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993ka24det View Post
Hey "cordycord" is your undertray just to fit under the engine or is it also a splitter also. The resin I'm asking is because, I'm going to finish my underbody when I get back and I'm going to have the front section in 3 pieces. The front undertray, a 3" airdam and the splitter. What thickness are you running on the undertray, because I was thinking of using Alumalite for it.
I'm using aluminum sheet only. It doesn't extend beyond the bodywork so I'm not concerned about ultimate stiffness. I forget the thickness.

At present there's no tray under the engine.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #123
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

The only thing about air jacks is that they are so expensive as a kit, but since I am a hydraulics guy that works on C-130's I don't think it would be hard to make a air system for a car.

cordycord-- Ok I working with .063 and I might use it under the engine or use the rest of my 5x12 sheet to make duct work for air in the rear wheel wells.

Any have the measurements from the widest the front bumper gets and from the steering rack to the edge of the front bumper
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #124
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
I don't think anything developed for the catfish is going to transfer over to a miata with anything less than pretty much a total redesign.
You're just down the street in San Diego...maybe we'll need to check it out with your car.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #125
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 20
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
sandwich material under and over the underbody so it doesn't buckle, and so the jack doesn't walk. Without going into too much detail, easy peazy.
Yep. That's pretty much what factory flat bottom cars do. Some tube frame cars just weld on a jacking puck and drill a hole for it in the undertray.

donour
donour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #126
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

Cool thread. Sub'd.
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #127
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,655
Total Cats: 1,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5autoxer View Post
Cool thread. Sub'd.
There is a "thread tools" dropdown menu that allows you to subscribe to any thread without adding a post.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #128
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

Is it a new hardtop? Nope its the new splitter Im building. I guess you gotta get it home some how lol


Sorry I got scratch's on my Galaxy Note's camera lens




Attached Thumbnails
Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_095437_zps07a12ab6.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_095503_zps8b98f303.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_095452_zps1da194c4.jpg  
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #129
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

Here are some more pics from today







Splitter mounts



More pics to come
Attached Thumbnails
Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_111628_zps0d288f42.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_111656_zps72ac7be6.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_111713_zps6169d66c.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130315_130527_zps7a1eb095.jpg  
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #130
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 0
Default

Looking good but two queries:

1. Is the flat floor held with screws/bolts/dzus into the frame rails?

2. Have you taken heat into consideration? It looks like you're covered front to back with no airflow for the gearbox or diff.
koan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #131
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan123 View Post
Looking good but two queries:

1. Is the flat floor held with screws/bolts/dzus into the frame rails?

2. Have you taken heat into consideration? It looks like you're covered front to back with no airflow for the gearbox or diff.

1. Yes bolts and Dzus Fasteners

2. I am still working on that


I got bored today and built
Splitter/front diffuser




Attached Thumbnails
Miata Flat Underbody-20130413_160420_zpsd7697480.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130413_160506_zps4c5c67ec.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130413_205637_zpsb79071ee.jpg  

Last edited by 1993ka24det; 04-14-2013 at 03:57 AM.
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #132
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 322
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993ka24det View Post
In this pic, are we looking at the top side or bottom side? That is, are the vents bringing air into the enginebay/underbody? Or releasing air from behind the rad?

And by the way,
M.Adamovits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #133
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 187
Total Cats: 3
Default

they are front diffusers. they are doing neither, not bringing air nor releasing it. They are used to help channel air between the wheel and wheel well/feed brake ducts.
motormechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #134
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

In the morning I will take some more pics, so you can get a better idea
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #135
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

Here are some more pics, but still not complete

I got the temp of the diff after a hour drive 142 Deg F













Attached Thumbnails
Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_114951_zpscdd53e2a.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_114707_zps6afefcc8.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_115003_zps45f84c69.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_114653_zps85ffd115.jpg   Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_114236_zps23669779.jpg  

Miata Flat Underbody-20130417_1235101_zps50c1a381.jpg  
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #136
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 223
Total Cats: 4
Default

I'm going to be building a flat underbody for my miata within the next few weeks, but I have a few questions before I dive into this whole process.

1) My biggest issue is where and how you guys are mounting the panels? I was thinking of mounting the panel over the outside of the frame rails and then on some of the bracing but some more insight on this particular topic would be much appreciated.
2) I see some people having the entire underside covered while others have a channel for the exhaust. What are the pros/cons to each one? If I decide to cover the entire underside, would I have to bend the panel in order to fit over the exhaust or what?
3) What material are you guys using? I've read that 2mm 5052 aluminum is perfect. Is this the correct thickness/grade aluminum?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions once I dive into the process, but this is all I can think of at them moment.
ApexAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #137
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 223
Total Cats: 4
Default

Would it be safe to drill 5 holes on each frame rail and weld round base weld nuts onto them (with the long part up inside the rail and the round base welded on the bottom of the rail)? I have yet to see someone do this, so maybe there's a reason why?
ApexAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 654
Total Cats: 282
Default

I did mine that way.
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #139
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 187
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAddict View Post
I'm going to be building a flat underbody for my miata within the next few weeks, but I have a few questions before I dive into this whole process.

1) My biggest issue is where and how you guys are mounting the panels? I was thinking of mounting the panel over the outside of the frame rails and then on some of the bracing but some more insight on this particular topic would be much appreciated.
2) I see some people having the entire underside covered while others have a channel for the exhaust. What are the pros/cons to each one? If I decide to cover the entire underside, would I have to bend the panel in order to fit over the exhaust or what?
3) What material are you guys using? I've read that 2mm 5052 aluminum is perfect. Is this the correct thickness/grade aluminum?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions once I dive into the process, but this is all I can think of at them moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAddict View Post
Would it be safe to drill 5 holes on each frame rail and weld round base weld nuts onto them (with the long part up inside the rail and the round base welded on the bottom of the rail)? I have yet to see someone do this, so maybe there's a reason why?
1. Mounting it to the frame rails seems like the best bet. On Ryan's car, he initially welded tabs to the frame rails to hold his underpanel.
2. Covering the whole underside would yield the best results, but you'd have to deal with heat from the trans/exhaust/diff. A few well place NACA ducts to feed air into the hot parts would be enough.
3. Material is all up to you. 5052 bends very well if wanted that. CF/foam/nomex core, alumalite are also good choices.
4. I don't see why that wouldn't work, actually I think Moti's underpanel on Morpheus is mounted this way.
motormechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #140
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 223
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
I did mine that way.
Right on, how many did you do on each frame rail and what size did you use? If you don't remember it's not big deal, I'm assuming the size of the weld nut isn't THAT important right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormechanic View Post
1. Mounting it to the frame rails seems like the best bet. On Ryan's car, he initially welded tabs to the frame rails to hold his underpanel.
2. Covering the whole underside would yield the best results, but you'd have to deal with heat from the trans/exhaust/diff. A few well place NACA ducts to feed air into the hot parts would be enough.
3. Material is all up to you. 5052 bends very well if wanted that. CF/foam/nomex core, alumalite are also good choices.
4. I don't see why that wouldn't work, actually I think Moti's underpanel on Morpheus is mounted this way.
Right on! Thanks for the advice. I was definitely planning on doing NACA ducts to all 3 mentioned heat spots. What I'm curious about, is the fact that my exhaust seems to be lower than my frame rails. How do people get around this? I'm not 100% positive but i'll have to double check.
ApexAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.