NASA Texas Time Trials Season Results - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken o View Post
I run the e46 M3 in TX NASA TT.

NASA TX does care about the rules.

My car is TTB legal with 39 points my sheet is on file if you would like to see it just ask. Mod points are, ** +14, 275mm R6 +14, intake +1, pulleys +1, exhaust +2, AST 4200 +3, springs +2, brakes +2, total 39 points. Plus the free mods, camber plates, bushings, etc. The car is built to the top of the class.

Power to weight is legal. I am happy to dyno my car at any event/track.

I never had any issues at TT Nationals with tires or engine mods.

I usually run on new or fairly new 275mm Hoosiers R6. Fresh tires make a difference as mentioned in this thread by spoolin2bars.

I am at a track or autocross event almost every weekend, practice, practice, practice. My M3 has had 48K miles on it in 3 years and I don't daily drive it.
I rescind my accusation. I meant no disrespect to Ken, I was really frustrated and said things I should not have. I am tired of getting constantly curb-stomped and crying like a ------ about it.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken o View Post
I am at a track or autocross event almost every weekend, practice, practice, practice. My M3 has had 48K miles on it in 3 years and I don't daily drive it.
You have to admit that that your 10.8hp/lb ratio to my 11.6hp/lb ratio, the NT-01 that are 50mm skinnier, and general gayness means there is no way in hell I will ever be competitive in that class. I basically there to help other people win tires. I believe you're a better drive, but I don't believe you're a 4-second better driver than me at Hallett, there is just no way. The same is true with the other tracks aside from TWS.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
You have to admit that that your 10.8hp/lb ratio to my 11.6hp/lb ratio, the NT-01 that are 50mm skinnier, and general gayness means there is no way in hell I will ever be competitive in that class. I basically there to help other people win tires. I believe you're a better drive, but I don't believe you're a 4-second better driver than me at Hallett, there is just no way. The same is true with the other tracks aside from TWS.
I agree that your car is under classed. I think if you tried fresh tires it might help.
ken o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken o View Post
I agree that your car is under classed. I think if you tried fresh tires it might help.
Last time we ran Houston early on Saturday we were together out of Diamond's Edge and you put-a bus-length on me when we got to sweeper. I was so pissed.
I have a set, but at 260whp and new NT-01's the best I've run at Hallett is not a 24. If I could get 1-point back somewhere I could run front and rear aero, that might put me closer to you...I think a wing and splitter would change the game on my car but my only option is to put a 5-speed back in it.

Right now I'm trying ------- surgery instead so who knows when I'll drive again, if ever. I kind-of over it these days and not exactly in a hurry to track the car again.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Last time we ran Houston early on Saturday we were together out of Diamond's Edge and you put-a bus-length on me when we got to sweeper. I was so pissed.
I have a set, but at 260whp and new NT-01's the best I've run at Hallett is not a 24. If I could get 1-point back somewhere I could run front and rear aero, that might put me closer to you...I think a wing and splitter would change the game on my car but my only option is to put a 5-speed back in it.

Right now I'm trying ------- surgery instead so who knows when I'll drive again, if ever. I kind-of over it these days and not exactly in a hurry to track the car again.
Can you run R6s?
ken o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
and TTB has a 10hp/1lb limit for a reason.
Wait wha?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #27
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken o View Post
Can you run R6s?
I have 13 points in TTB. The splitter is +3 and the wing is +4, I need to find a point somewhere. I can run an R6, but I don't exactly have $1200 to blow on tires every 3 track days...I track a Miata for a reason. Well, more than one reason, lol. An R6 is not going to give me much time over the NT-01 though.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

lol @ NASA classing:
TTC Eric Foss Mazdaspeed 3 01:57.351 Nov-11
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 409
Total Cats: 17
Default

Have you considered used R6's? Give John Berget a call (http://www.jbracingtires.net/). He sells half worn tires for about $50 a piece. They aren't as fast as new R6's, but they may be faster than NT-01's... and they are definitely cheap.
Handy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #30
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
lol @ NASA classing:
TTC Eric Foss Mazdaspeed 3 01:57.351 Nov-11
You gotta remember Eric Foss is a pro driver. That car is mostly stock on take-offs. Stock motor, downpipe mod worth 20-30 hp or so, stock brake calipers and rotors... Most of that awesomeness is due to the equipment between the seat and the wheel (driver).

It was great watching him at TWS last November in the rain. He was stomping everyone on the track in that car, and I mean everyone, at least everyone in the TT sessions.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Man View Post
Have you considered used R6's? Give John Berget a call (http://www.jbracingtires.net/). He sells half worn tires for about $50 a piece. They aren't as fast as new R6's, but they may be faster than NT-01's... and they are definitely cheap.
949 will tell you they are not as fast an an NT-01, and I believe him.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #32
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
You gotta remember Eric Foss is a pro driver. That car is mostly stock on take-offs. Stock motor, downpipe mod worth 20-30 hp or so, stock brake calipers and rotors... Most of that awesomeness is due to the equipment between the seat and the wheel (driver).

It was great watching him at TWS last November in the rain. He was stomping everyone on the track in that car, and I mean everyone, at least everyone in the TT sessions.
So it's making ~300whp/350wtq?

Here is his mod-list:
Mods are SURE intake, SURE Flow M3, SURE RMM, Carbotech pads, DBA Rotors, Cobb AP @ 16.5psi and BFG R1's 225/45r17.

Meh, I'm tired of living through this ---- again and I've had a lot more fun since I stopped tracking this car. I'm going back to not driving the turbo car and wishing I had a Mustang.

Last edited by hustler; 05-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 102
Total Cats: 0
Default

There is no way the NT01 is faster than the R6.

Going fast isn't cheap I've found...but grip is the #1 thing to have.

Trey have you tried Hankooks? The Z214 DOT tire I mean I may buy a set of those in a 225/45-15 C51 at some point...
miata_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #34
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 581
Total Cats: 4
Default

From my experience, BFG R1 are quick on heavy cars (not available in 275 tho). Just like R6 (275) they take 2-3 laps to reach their optimal temperature. A6 (275) are quicker to reach their temp and they don't overheat (5-7) laps. At least on my 200HP/2300lbs (consistent 140-150F).

Will collect data on used A6 vs new R6 (both 275) on the next Time Attack in June.
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 175
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
You gotta remember Eric Foss is a pro driver. That car is mostly stock on take-offs. Stock motor, downpipe mod worth 20-30 hp or so, stock brake calipers and rotors... Most of that awesomeness is due to the equipment between the seat and the wheel (driver).

It was great watching him at TWS last November in the rain. He was stomping everyone on the track in that car, and I mean everyone, at least everyone in the TT sessions.
Important distinction, a pro driver with a boatload of time behind the wheel of a MS3 for a pro team (Freedom).

I watched Mike Skeen do other-worldly ---- behind the wheel of a ZR-1 last weekend. If you were ever looking for an ego deflation, (and this works especially well if you have data), put a pro behind the wheel of your car.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #36
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
There is no way the NT01 is faster than the R6.

Going fast isn't cheap I've found...but grip is the #1 thing to have.

Trey have you tried Hankooks? The Z214 DOT tire I mean I may buy a set of those in a 225/45-15 C51 at some point...
I thought about it during the NT-01 shortage. Now we have the Toyo slick, the Maxxis R-comp, and the Federal R-comps coming out soon so those will hopefully be a more grippy option that does not cost $1000 per set.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 409
Total Cats: 17
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
There is no way the NT01 is faster than the R6.

Going fast isn't cheap I've found...but grip is the #1 thing to have.
Trey have you tried Hankooks? The Z214 DOT tire I mean I may buy a set of those in a 225/45-15 C51 at some point...
He's referring to used r6 vs new nt01... I think used a6 would be the best bang for your buck as long as you don't overheat them
Handy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: south texas
Posts: 1,419
Total Cats: 9
Default

Lol @ old thread, but theres no way nt-01's are as fast as a6/r6. Once the hoosiers fall off sure, but not new. Plus you have multiple wheels. You run nt-01s to practice on then put the hoho's on for a few laps on the last session or 2. And stop being a -----. You've gotten faster which is the point. Who cares if you can't win your class. You don't have fun out there? I missed msr-c this year and by month 3 I was having serious withdrawals. I was a ticking time bomb, sorry to anyone I offended or assaulted last month! Lol
spoolin2bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #39
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post
Lol @ old thread, but theres no way nt-01's are as fast as a6/r6. Once the hoosiers fall off sure, but not new. Plus you have multiple wheels. You run nt-01s to practice on then put the hoho's on for a few laps on the last session or 2. And stop being a -----. You've gotten faster which is the point. Who cares if you can't win your class. You don't have fun out there? I missed msr-c this year and by month 3 I was having serious withdrawals. I was a ticking time bomb, sorry to anyone I offended or assaulted last month! Lol
Sometimes I feel like I'm dying to go to the track, other times like right now I just want to make #2 without pain. Do you think those 1-year old Contis in my garage are still any good?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 302
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
so those will hopefully be a more grippy option that does not cost $1000 per set.
Don't EVER complain about costs vs. winning. Gotta pay to play, or in this case to win. Surprised you would go there, considering how you put your turbo/motor together.

That being said, it is also a reason I didn't bother finishing my TTD car.
stinkycheezmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.