Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Turbo Smurfette - Build in progress (slow)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Total Cats: 1,006

Looks really nice.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 544

Scrap aluminum, an angle grinder, drill and rivnuts to mount an oil cooler. Will work on lines later once I build a mount for oil filter relocation.

Went in to get a check up on motor health and aside from having a restrictive catch can setup, they gave the car a clean bill of health. Good to go for retune next week and am e85 tune.

The sticky throttle infuriated me on the drive home. I spent 6 bux on a variety pack if springs in the "help me" section at advanced auto and fashioned a throttle return spring. Will try to fix this legitimately later.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Total Cats: 93

Did you see my ducted oil cooler setup in my build thread?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:00 PM
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer

Total Cats: 1,866

The AEM sensor is linear. So you can adjust the offset by changing the min and Max values together. That will let you make it match your old sensor.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Tomorrow is the big day. For some reason I feel as though I forgot something or that something is wrong. I guess we'll find out on the dyno.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 AM

Total Cats: 41

Much excite, what boost pressure?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Total Cats: 1,006

Love your interior work. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Lexzar
Much excite, what boost pressure?
Thanks! Car has a 3.5bar map sensor now so might be able to squeeze more than the 22psi it was previously capped at. Time will tell now that there's also a functioning knock sensor.

Originally Posted by turbofan
Love your interior work. Good luck.
Thanks! The material is rather inexpensive, otherwise I couldn't really justify purchasing pre-made. It was a good winter project until it got warm enough to do real work on the car.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 AM

Total Cats: 41

Dang, it should make all these misfortunes insignificant. Making it real hard to resist your supercore lol, as my warranty is still pending.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

Ok, so just a small update.

Hit some snags so no significant work was done on dyno. The flex input wasn't making connection through the ECU connector despite it working to the terminal, and continuity checking out on both sides of the pin on the conversion harness. I make-shift jumped the wire directly (I'd have to cut the wire if I want to remove components), and everything worked fine. Because I was unavailable on the first day of the two to fix this issue due to ensuring my girlfriend was ok after some medical stuff, I lost time and had to reschedule. I'll be in sunny San Diego mid May, so they'll have it for a week to retune/e85/blend/street verify.

So stay tuned, new numbers in two weeks!

Anyone have recommendations on things to do in San Diego??
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM
mkturbo.com

Total Cats: 1,681

Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix
Anyone have recommendations on things to do in San Diego??
Go **** yourself.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Elite Member

I've never watched that movie. I miss out on a lot of pop references because I live under a miata. :(
Old 05-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Elite Member

So I got the new gauge wired in. On chance I wanted to see if sharing a digital signal from the flex sensor would give rise to any reading errors. I split the line between the megasquirt and the added a lead for the gauge, dead nuts same. So I don't need to use any weird analog output to MS, or run a second standalone sensor for the gauge.

The original gauge that was sent was defective. The warrantied gauge was replaced with a new one but lost in shipping. I purchased it again from a different vendor as I was growing frustrated and was about to reverse transaction, then ups found the package.

If anyone wants a brand new one for a discount, hit me up. Because I got this working with my existing flex sensor, I have an extra to go along with the gauge to be sold. Pm directly or watch the classifieds.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Nut jammed and rotated shaft. I couldn't remove it easy so had to cut it. Replaced with high boost canister. Dropped the car off for tuning now that flex sensor issue has been corrected and am off for a week long trip to San Diego!

Also if anyone wants the ecf-1, hit me up and save $100
Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

So, I get a call while on vacation with an update on smurfette. It seems that the car is getting a bit squirrely on the dyno when it's hitting over 350 torque. The tuner wanted to let me know that he's concerned with such a small wheelbase, and that the tires might not be up to the task and that he'd perceive the car becoming a bit dangerous if there was any wheel slip on the road when the hammer drops. After lengthy discussion, and back and fourth, I'm confident in their advice to flatten the torque, limiting a bit of boost and just going from there. It seems there's something choking up top which might be head related. Hopefully my new head will be finished before my bottom end blows out.

We'll see what happens. Now a different approach is being taken; less about glory and being a dyno queen, more about actually not dying when trying to use what's available.

93 octane tune has been made a bit more conservative at 320whp because of the overhead e85/flex allows. I need reliability and drivability over dick measuring numbers since this is my daily.

I fly back tomorrow, pick car up Thurs.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM
mkturbo.com

Total Cats: 1,681

Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix
I need reliability and drivability over dick measuring numbers since this is my daily.
​​​​​​​I think you need dick measuring numbers. I can also help you with that. I have a sweet Artech setup sitting in my garage that will make your silly little EFR turbo seem silly and small. Also comes with a full 4" exhaust so all the Subaru people will know how you roll.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by shuiend
I think you need dick measuring numbers. I can also help you with that. I have a sweet Artech setup sitting in my garage that will make your silly little EFR turbo seem silly and small. Also comes with a full 4" exhaust so all the Subaru people will know how you roll.
​​​​​​​I think I should stop while I'm ahead, finish the oil cooler stuff and finally take this to the track (maybe just on wastegate) and finally drive the poop out of it. When it blows, spontaneously buy a daily and start building a K series.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by shuiend
I think you need dick measuring numbers. I can also help you with that. I have a sweet Artech setup sitting in my garage that will make your silly little EFR turbo seem silly and small. Also comes with a full 4" exhaust so all the Subaru people will know how you roll.
I think I should stop while I'm ahead, finish the oil cooler stuff and finally take this to the track (maybe just on wastegate) and finally drive the poop out of it. When it blows, spontaneously buy a daily and start building a K series.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Newb

Total Cats: 0

I saw in your sig that you've got the NB foglight bezels. I did that on my OEM bumper before I swapped over to the S2 piece. The bezels look great.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

So aside from having high boost misfire, it has been discovered that one of the coil terminals has actually broken at the 90° under the boot. Are there more robust terminals available? These seemed to be simple sheet metal stamped out, formed, then bent.

Quick Reply: Turbo Smurfette - Build in progress (slow)