250whp at 205 tires??? will I die? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default 250whp at 205 tires??? will I die?

I was planning on running 99 wheels for both the street and r-comps track with 205's because I'm poor. I can get a set of nickel 6ul's with rs2's at the wear bar for $600. I don't really want to spend the money.

With that said, r-comps are only $130 for the 225's, but that might be too much traction for my 450/375 springs with bilstein HD's on the track. Any thoughts?
Also, are 205 street tires going to be scary in comparison to 225's? I only know of RS2's in that size and don't want to pay that much for street rubber.

Is passing on these for the track going to be a mistake? I love the idea of running crappy wheels I don't have to worry about bending or getting stolen, but I may wish I had more rubber on the track.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,867
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

I've been running on the street with 205 and 195s. no issues. i would love at least 225s for the track.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

t3/t4 about 12-14psi here. 205 kuhmo cheapies, i have zero traction problems as long as i ease into gears. 1st gear is planted, but it will spin like crazy if hitting gears to hard, and if i use flatshift.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

The Z1 star specs on my car currently are more than adequate for the street.

I don't think you can have too much grip at the track.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

205/50/15 rt615's at 7psi ona gt2871 with a front RB nb hollow 1 1/8 sway, solid endlinks and 450/350 springs gives me some issues in the corners..

Exiting corners wot is difficult without alittle spinning, and that is with a high preload rx7 clutch lsd, I believe a 225 would preform miracles for my exit speed.(Not to mention braking distances) And I should add corners are a second gear affair at my track, so consider that aswell(no high speed sweepers here)

I would higly recommend stiffer fronts, like a 550 or better, 350 in the rear I feel is great for a street/track set-up but the 450 fronts aren't what I'd call a track spring rate.

Wide wheels and tires are a no brainer no matter your budget as long as your class allows it.

205's just don't give you quite enough in the tighter corners imo, an r-compound might help enough but I'd spring for the 6ul's with some big tires.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default

im running 195s with stock suspention. Going straight is no problem through all the gears, turning I can break free fairly easy, espically with a open diff.

Rain, 1st, 2ed, 3rd, and 4th gear are all scary... haha
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I'm in money saving mode to buy a house right now, so I really don't want to spend the cash. **** **** ***.

Yeah, I'm going to chill on this. I am not required to have the fastest miata around, just required to have fun when I go out.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
205/50/15 rt615's at 7psi ona gt2871 with a front RB nb hollow 1 1/8 sway, solid endlinks and 450/350 springs gives me some issues in the corners..

Exiting corners wot is difficult without alittle spinning, and that is with a high preload rx7 clutch lsd, I believe a 225 would preform miracles for my exit speed.(Not to mention braking distances) And I should add corners are a second gear affair at my track, so consider that aswell(no high speed sweepers here)

I would higly recommend stiffer fronts, like a 550 or better, 350 in the rear I feel is great for a street/track set-up but the 450 fronts aren't what I'd call a track spring rate.

Wide wheels and tires are a no brainer no matter your budget as long as your class allows it.

205's just don't give you quite enough in the tighter corners imo, an r-compound might help enough but I'd spring for the 6ul's with some big tires.
that diff could be the culprit on the oversteer. I'll have 170* r-comps so I'll have a bit more traction. I guess I can always order 6UL's another time.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

this...

Name:  biketyre.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  2.0 KB


OR

this...

Name:  miat15x9-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  3.4 KB

Get the fat tire/wheel assembly. You won't regret it.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

newsflash! no matter what tire size or boost pressure you run you will die.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,363
Total Cats: 1,324
Default

Street tires are scary as **** on track, period. My car was a handful on track with the 225/45 R-S2s; at only 200whp I had several solid 3rd gear slides and one very scary 4th gear 100mph+ slide. The 225 R-comps make my car easy and fun to drive again; the street tires made me afraid of the throttle.

BTW, Toyo is going to release their new R1-R street tire in 225/45, so there will be 2 options for streets in that size. Apparently the R1-R runs wide as **** for its side (apparently someone at Toyo thinks a "205/50" means it needs a 221mm case width) and they are sticky as hell (durometer readings on par with RA-1s). I'll probably throw some 225/45 R-comps on 15x9s and run those for the streets on my 8s.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm in money saving mode to buy a house right now, so I really don't want to spend the cash. **** **** ***.

Yeah, I'm going to chill on this. I am not required to have the fastest miata around, just required to have fun when I go out.
With housing prices down there I don't know how anyone can not own there own home now.

If your just going to have fun and not be the fastest, then your 205's will be fine. I still recommend stiffer front springs, even some no name ebay stiff springs would be better (mine are "dropzone" lol and cost 60bux for all four with sleeves)
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I think I'm going to buy them just because its going to look so ******* insane on the pearl brg paint. They'll be the photo-session and track wheels.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Street tires are scary as **** on track, period. My car was a handful on track with the 225/45 R-S2s; at only 200whp I had several solid 3rd gear slides and one very scary 4th gear 100mph+ slide. The 225 R-comps make my car easy and fun to drive again; the street tires made me afraid of the throttle.

BTW, Toyo is going to release their new R1-R street tire in 225/45, so there will be 2 options for streets in that size. Apparently the R1-R runs wide as **** for its side (apparently someone at Toyo thinks a "205/50" means it needs a 221mm case width) and they are sticky as hell (durometer readings on par with RA-1s). I'll probably throw some 225/45 R-comps on 15x9s and run those for the streets on my 8s.
I don't understand...is it a street tire or track tire? I'd love to have either the best of both worlds, or something sticky that lasts even longer than ra1's. I'd love to have something to split the gap between ra1 traction, and azenis life.

I just read and they have a 140-treadwear rating, heat range of 160-220, so basically it looks like I may have found my track tire after I burn up these 205 nt-01's.
Name:  r1rvsazenis1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  109.6 KB
lol

Last edited by hustler; 08-16-2008 at 10:48 AM.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,363
Total Cats: 1,324
Default

The R1R was specifically designed to rape the elderly in STS2 competition. The best way to describe it is as a "street" tire.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
The R1R was specifically designed to rape the elderly in STS2 competition. The best way to describe it is as a "street" tire.
they have a similar temp range to the ra-1, I wonder how they will do on a road course?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 790
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
The R1R was specifically designed to rape the elderly in STS2 competition. The best way to describe it is as a "street" tire.
And it wears out super quick at autox. Totally bald after x runs shaven where the RE-01R shows no wear after the same.

225/45/15 R1R will be awesome, but it will wear faster then a ... <insert funny ending here>

When my RS2's wear out the miata will probably be retired from DD duty and on go the 235 R888's.
reddroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Hey everyone another n00b here Big_gumby Meet and Greet 80 10-05-2015 05:06 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
6ULs for Sale in Green Bay JStoops Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-28-2015 06:35 PM
Recommended Tire Temp for best friction thumpetto007 Race Prep 4 09-27-2015 06:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.