Custom Koni Coilover Suspension for Street Use - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default Custom Koni Coilover Suspension for Street Use

Hi, suspension noob here,

I want to do custom coilovers on my NA6 after doing some reading this is what I've come up with. The car is used primary as a street car on bumpy New England and New York roads.

My questions are:
Will all this work together? lol
Which dampers should I be using? (NA or NB)
Are the 7in spring lengths idea? (not sure no the ride height I'll use, but I'm not slamming the car)
Spring rate too soft/hard for street use?
What do you guys think of this setup? Is there anything I should change?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Front:


Rear:
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,432
Total Cats: 778
Default

Spring rates way too soft, and wrong shocks.

For budget a budget DIY setup you want NB bilstein sports, NB front hats, Hyperco springs, 5X Racing sleeves/perches, Goodwin or Two Six Motorsports extended hats, DIY Integra Speedthane bumpstops to the length you want, and around a 500/350 spring rate. Personally i think 550/375 on an NA with NB bilsteins is awesomesauce.

Or just get Xidas.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,759
Total Cats: 1,101
Default

Koni's are never the answer.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 140
Total Cats: 3
Default

Will second billes. For potholes/broken pavement etc. I would suggest 350/250 rates though. At these (low) rates a revalve would be nice as well. For such applications (no smooth roads), I have had a lot of positive feedback for FMs Fox setup as well.
HarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,703
Total Cats: 1,764
Default

lol. bumpy roads--picks worst shock on market.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Thanks for the response! The NB Bilstein Sports are the "B6" or "B8" models? Those spring rates seem kinda harsh for street use, but then again I don't know much about this stuff lol, would the 350/250 that HarryB suggested work well for my application? Also why Hyperco Springs over Swift? Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Spring rates way too soft, and wrong shocks.

For budget a budget DIY setup you want NB bilstein sports, NB front hats, Hyperco springs, 5X Racing sleeves/perches, Goodwin or Two Six Motorsports extended hats, DIY Integra Speedthane bumpstops to the length you want, and around a 500/350 spring rate. Personally i think 550/375 on an NA with NB bilsteins is awesomesauce.

Or just get Xidas.
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ops! , that's why I asked before I bought em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
lol. bumpy roads--picks worst shock on market.
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,432
Total Cats: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFonte View Post
Thanks for the response! The NB Bilstein Sports are the "B6" or "B8" models? Those spring rates seem kinda harsh for street use, but then again I don't know much about this stuff lol, would the 350/250 that HarryB suggested work well for my application? Also why Hyperco Springs over Swift? Thanks again!
The less you're on bumpstops, the better your ride is.

Hypercos are cheaper than Swifts. And are quality springs.

I'm from NY, and run 850/500 Hyperco springs. 11/10 would drive on NY roads.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 15
Default

1000/500 on Xidas is no **** more comfy (using the term loosely) than 600/350 was on Koni Sports, if that tells you anything. Quality shocks at about 500lbs with proper bump travel should be downright comfy, koni sports are not that shock.
cabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default Revised Design

Ok, made some changes, how does this look? Should I be using B6 or B8 Bilstiens? I believe the B8 are to be used with lowered cars since they have a shorter stroke?
Thanks a lot for the help!

Front:


Rear:
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 108
Total Cats: 10
Default

That setup looks good. If you're buying new bilsteins you want the B6's. B8's have a shorter shaft resulting in reduced droop travel (and no-one wants a shorter shaft).

But if you're buying all of it new (bilstiens, hypercos, extended hats, bumps etc- ALL the bits), I think you need to add up actual costs of it all including shipping, and make sure it's not close to what a proper coilover is going to cost you. I'm betting it'll be close and you'd be better off stretching to the xidas or saving for a bit to do so.

Edit: don't just cut bumpstops to 36mm. Install without springs, put wheel back on and jack up the wheel to see how much travel you actually have- set compressed bumpstop length based on that.

Last edited by Junkwhale; 09-08-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Junkwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Woostuh, MA
Posts: 2,802
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Spring rates way too soft, and wrong shocks.

For budget a budget DIY setup you want NB bilstein sports, NB front hats, Hyperco springs, 5X Racing sleeves/perches, Goodwin or Two Six Motorsports extended hats, DIY Integra Speedthane bumpstops to the length you want, and around a 500/350 spring rate. Personally i think 550/375 on an NA with NB bilsteins is awesomesauce.

Or just get Xidas.
I'm on MSM billies and running 450/300 which is what savington had recommended when I'd asked. Just throwing that out as a data point. That said, 'regular' yellow billies are valved differently so it's likely that your rates are more apt for that setup.
I really like how my car rides, but I think that stepping up to 500/350 wouldn't have been a bad idea...

Also, why 5x racing sleeves vs advanced auto sports? Are the 5x racing ones pre cut to 4 inches as well?
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'm on MSM billies and running 450/300 which is what savington had recommended when I'd asked. Just throwing that out as a data point. That said, 'regular' yellow billies are valved differently so it's likely that your rates are more apt for that setup.
I really like how my car rides, but I think that stepping up to 500/350 wouldn't have been a bad idea...

Also, why 5x racing sleeves vs advanced auto sports? Are the 5x racing ones pre cut to 4 inches as well?
No, 5X racing sleeves are 5", they are just a little cheaper
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 140
Total Cats: 3
Default

Seems like a good plan. Will second what's told about bumpstops; you want them to limit your travel so you don't break things, nothing more, thus they have to be as short as possible but within reason. Will try to post my measurements once I get back home on Monday.
HarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,703
Total Cats: 1,764
Default

If it we're me, I'd just buy illuminas and FM springs
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkwhale View Post
That setup looks good. If you're buying new bilsteins you want the B6's. B8's have a shorter shaft resulting in reduced droop travel (and no-one wants a shorter shaft).

But if you're buying all of it new (bilstiens, hypercos, extended hats, bumps etc- ALL the bits), I think you need to add up actual costs of it all including shipping, and make sure it's not close to what a proper coilover is going to cost you. I'm betting it'll be close and you'd be better off stretching to the xidas or saving for a bit to do so.

Edit: don't just cut bumpstops to 36mm. Install without springs, put wheel back on and jack up the wheel to see how much travel you actually have- set compressed bumpstop length based on that.
Adding everything up (buying brand new, including shipping) it comes out to a little over $1100, say $1200 for any additional hardware I may need. Xidas are over $1900 with the duel spring system, is it worth saving up to for that? Are the Xidas that much better on the street?

And thanks for bumpstop advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
If it we're me, I'd just buy illuminas and FM springs
The illuminas and FM springs "stage 1" suspension package is $800, $1000 with the extended rear top hats ("stage 1.5"), is there any limitations/advantages having this vs the custom bilstien coilover? The price difference really isn't that much when you throw in the top hats.
LaFonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,759
Total Cats: 1,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFonte View Post
The illuminas and FM springs "stage 1" suspension package is $800, $1000 with the extended rear top hats ("stage 1.5"), is there any limitations/advantages having this vs the custom bilstien coilover? The price difference really isn't that much when you throw in the top hats.
You want this on bumpy roads. Don't use the extended top hats. Enjoy the nice ride.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 108
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFonte View Post
Adding everything up (buying brand new, including shipping) it comes out to a little over $1100, say $1200 for any additional hardware I may need. Xidas are over $1900 with the duel spring system, is it worth saving up to for that? Are the Xidas that much better on the street?
If you're looking at xidas just for street ride quality, wait for the Xida GS when they come out- https://www.miataturbo.net/suspensio...-xl-ace-93581/ ~$1599.

I think the bilstein diy option really only makes sense if you already have the parts (i.e. bilsteins + at least some of the hardware/tophats). If you are going the budget option starting with nothing there's better options. Two to consider that are gonna ride better than the bilsteins and be cheaper than buying all the parts separately:

Meister R CRD's @ $995 inc delivery: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=607056
V8R's DSD coilovers @ $950: https://v8roadsters.com/product/dsd-coilover/
Junkwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,432
Total Cats: 778
Default

LOL @ Meister R riding better than Bilsteins.

Stay safe, OP.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
LOL @ Meister R riding better than Bilsteins.
Tell us what you really think.
infinityedge is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.