followup - Stewart Development revalved shocks (re: Bernie strikes again) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Total Cats: 0
Default followup - Stewart Development revalved shocks (re: Bernie strikes again)

I was one of the many that sent in shocks and a good chunk of money in 2011 to get them revalved by Bernie based on fantastic reviews from previous clients.

Since I needed them for a BMW e30, I checked with Bernie first to make sure the work could be done. He said no problem, so I sent him my blown shocks, my spring rate and shortening specs and with a lot of help from John @ Weekend Racer it took ONLY A YEAR to get them back! I consider myself fortunate since I did get them back! When I opened the box saw 4 shocks inside I was very happy to have them in hand, but unfortunately I sold the BMW before I got a chance to install them.

Now another year has passed, I have another e30 and decided to try the shocks and see how they ride. Since I requested the shock to be shortened 1.5" I decided to test fit them into the stock strut housing and take some measurements before I shorten the housing and weld on a Ground Control coilover spring perch.

This is when I noticed the shock was almost the same length as the outside of the strut housing, which is odd because I asked Bernie to shorten the shock body and reiterated this to John when he confirmed my order.

Inserted the shock into the strut and guess what? The body wasn't shortened at all. Nice to know that I paid $200.00 for services that wasn't done, but as others who were lucky enough to get their shocks with issues have said... there is no way I'd send them back to him to fix the problem as I might never see them again.

I know the shocks have been revalved since the shocks I sent him were blown, but now I get to wonder if they were revalved to my specified spring rates or if he just rushed them to get me something and John off his back.

So the reason for this post? I wanted to provide a followup and give people who are considering trying his services more information to make an informed decision.

In my opinion don't even bother considering his services as he isn't worth the risk/hassle/headache regardless of how magical the end result of his work may be.
mc hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

I"m surprised this jackass hasnt been sued and/or shot yet.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,887
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I"m surprised this jackass hasnt been sued and/or shot yet.
Don't you know he's busy?! God. Give him a break. He has important clients to take care of.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

It's race season, dammit! Stay off my back, peasants!
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

It is race season, after all.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,192
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

I just robbed you blind and raped your mother.



ITS RACE SEASON
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I just robbed you blind and raped your mother.



ITS RACE SEASON

I pictured "Mayhem" wearing a race suit for some reason.

IT'S RACE SEASON

Attached Thumbnails
followup - Stewart Development revalved shocks (re: Bernie strikes again)-allstate-mayhem.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

What a douche.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

I thought he only raced on the weekends.. ya know the weekend racer?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

This guy is still around? Karma will surely get him.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 114
Total Cats: 3
Default

Sent in my R-packaged shocks in July 2012. Didn't receive them till January of next year. I end up paying more than I should have, but I at least have my shocks back.

Compared to my stock setup and a friends FM Vmax, they are very nice. Ride is plush but firm at the same time (12f/12.5r). Very daily-able.

However, would I recommend him?... Frock no.

Also, a bird told me he's out of the miata business.
Linh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington SC
Posts: 1,003
Total Cats: 14
Default

Now imagine being dumb enought to send a set back to him to fix, him screwing you and blaming you for it and then charging you another $400+ to get them back!!! I am still not happy and have paid over $1200 for shocks that kill my back.
I even tried to email him earlier this year just to get an idea what he actually did to my shocks and got the same crappy attitude.

The worst part is that I could never get him to tell me what he actually did, he would get pissed each time I asked. For all I know he just looked at them and charged me to send them right back (after keeping them hostage).

The best part is I am broke as a joke now (just had our first kid) and it will be years before I can afford real suspension. I have even debated going back to ricelands since the ride was much more comfortable with them (don't have money for track days eiter so who needs real performance).

I even tried to see if Fatcat could do anything to re-valve them to something that works for me, but obviously they won't touch it. I didn't even get a reply email.

Sorry, I thought I was over it (happened back in spring of 2011), but this thread just made it clear that I still would like to have a very colorful conversation with this low life! It still amazes me that he can still be in business after all this crap.
Rallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

He still owes me $600.
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by relte View Post
Now imagine being dumb enought to send a set back to him to fix, him screwing you and blaming you for it and then charging you another $400+ to get them back!!! I am still not happy and have paid over $1200 for shocks that kill my back.
I even tried to email him earlier this year just to get an idea what he actually did to my shocks and got the same crappy attitude.

The worst part is that I could never get him to tell me what he actually did, he would get pissed each time I asked. For all I know he just looked at them and charged me to send them right back (after keeping them hostage).

The best part is I am broke as a joke now (just had our first kid) and it will be years before I can afford real suspension. I have even debated going back to ricelands since the ride was much more comfortable with them (don't have money for track days eiter so who needs real performance).

I even tried to see if Fatcat could do anything to re-valve them to something that works for me, but obviously they won't touch it. I didn't even get a reply email.

Sorry, I thought I was over it (happened back in spring of 2011), but this thread just made it clear that I still would like to have a very colorful conversation with this low life! It still amazes me that he can still be in business after all this crap.
The replaced bushings didn't help with the ride quality? What top hats are you using? I recently swapped the ISC racing 1.5 inch top hats for the 1 inch version on the rear at ride heights of about 12.75 inches and found that the increased droop improved ride quality. On occasion the rear would run out of droop with the taller top hat. Also, I have 2 sets of SD Billies and while I would consider them to be firm I don't consider them to be abusive and I have back issues as well.

But ya, Bernie's customer service is pretty poor.
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 114
Total Cats: 3
Default

Relte,

My springs rates are similar to yours, and mine isn't abusive at all. Firm, but not as firm as my stock R-package, even with the FCM bump stops. But then again, your revalve might be totally different. Wish Bernie would have sent me a dyno sheet on the shocks.

Anyway, my setup should be very similar to Tasty Danish's SD setup. I wonder who bought his shocks when he parted out.
Linh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Take him to peoples courtttt.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,887
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Take him to Mock Trial.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
Relte,

My springs rates are similar to yours, and mine isn't abusive at all. Firm, but not as firm as my stock R-package, even with the FCM bump stops. But then again, your revalve might be totally different. Wish Bernie would have sent me a dyno sheet on the shocks.

Anyway, my setup should be very similar to Tasty Danish's SD setup. I wonder who bought his shocks when he parted out.
I bought my second set from the classifieds here but I don't remember from whom.
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 114
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
I bought my second set from the classifieds here but I don't remember from whom.
How long have you had that set? He parted sometime last year. TastyDanish, believe John was his name, parted his miata out after wrecking it. I purchased the FM exhaust from him. Would have bought the SD setup too, but it was sold.

How do you like your 2nd set?
Linh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
I bought my second set from the classifieds here but I don't remember from whom.
Might have been from me.
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
NA/NB Spherical Bearing Upper Mounts greddygalant Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-18-2015 09:00 PM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.