Stewart Development revalved Bilstein group buy feeler - Page 6 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #101
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 112
Total Cats: 2
Default

Do we need to contact Bernie direct on this before its a done deal??? I'm in for a new set of re-valved shocks.
skipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #102
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstr View Post
Do we need to contact Bernie direct on this before its a done deal??? I'm in for a new set of re-valved shocks.
No, just contact him when I send out the word that he is ready for payment. I will put you down on the list. We may get the go ahead this weekend when I hear abck from a feew people.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #103
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

do not have bilstien revalve your shocks. It's much, much worse than stock. Much. Worst car I've ever driven. I would regularly lose contact with the ground, or go bouncing off from a mere two bumps. TERRIBLE.


Question on the ride height... How critical is it? I've been doing my measurements from the lower control-arm mounting bolt, and it really defines the mass of the car's position. The drawback is you have to be more precise.

General question: How do you know when to shorten? When have you shortened too much? I keep my car an inch or so below stock ride height. I might go as far as one more, but basically it's not a heavily lowered car....
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #104
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Anyone know what spring rates the SM valving is built for?

I mean, SM is 700/300? or is it 325. But... i'm 700/400... and might go stiffer . Dammit... I think I'd need custom valving.
FYI - I've been running 750/500, which I like because you can move the backs up front to run 500/375 and only buy two more springs. Actually, I went the other way, so I can run 750/500, 500/375, 375/whatever-pussies-run.

Bilstien did this:
Bilstien Revalve Job:
Direction Original Revalve
Front Comp 40 60
Front Rebound 400 700
Rear Rebound 40 50
Rear Comp 330 600

I'm not 100% sure what the numbers mean, but I can tell you it's wrong :-)

I think SM is 500/375, because to get my shock values, they multiplied their "Standard" values by 1.5. Which doesn't work. Perhaps I should say this again. :-P
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #105
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp0623 View Post
new shocks plus custom revalve is $700

custom revalve old shocks $80/shock

Dyno graphs for each shock ARE provided.
I'm in for revalve of old shocks.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #106
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I'm in for revalve of old shocks.
Good Times, I'll put your name down.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #107
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Ok, everyone who is on the fence. If you are getting in on this, please do so now so I can get a hold of Bernied tomorrow and see if we can get him to start collecting payment.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #108
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Add me in there for used shock revalve. I'm going to be shortening also.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #109
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 18
Total Cats: 10
Default

A couple things to mention:

The car that ran the 25 Hours @ Thunderhill is Rob Gibson's (he and his brother run RJ Racing). That car has been running Fat Cat shocks for about a year and a half. He sent the shocks to Stewart before the 25 Hours for a fluid refresh/bushing change, a service Bernie does on Spec Miata shocks. Just needed to clarify who did the original custom valving on that car to make it faster!

Our methods are very detailed, analytical and based on real-world experience owning and racing a Miata (since that's what's being focusing on in this thread). I've had a former Indycar and NASCAR team manager comment that he rarely sees such detail even in NASCAR. Our mathematical modeling/spreadsheets (JasonC_SBB has been a tremendous help) allow us dial in the entire vehicle's balance very carefully. I don't assume a customer knows all what spring rates/sway bars are actually optimal for a given application; including those who think they do
Shaikh_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #110
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 18
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp0623 View Post
I think for true double duty you would have to go with an FCM adjustable valving, but then we are not even in the same price ballpark.
No, you do NOT need to have adjustable for a 'double duty' setup. Once you have the right baseline valving for the vehicle, it should work (and does work in our case) very well wet or dry, autocross, street or track.

For those who want to run stock class autocross, Variant 1 makes a lot of sense. For coilovers and aggressive track/autocross but wanting street comfort, being able to soften the damping helps (Variant 2). Many people run our setups in various weather and track conditions without needing to change anything except tire pressure.

Keeping it real...
Shaikh_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #111
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaikh_A View Post
A couple things to mention:

The car that ran the 25 Hours @ Thunderhill is Rob Gibson's (he and his brother run RJ Racing). That car has been running Fat Cat shocks for about a year and a half. He sent the shocks to Stewart before the 25 Hours for a fluid refresh/bushing change, a service Bernie does on Spec Miata shocks. Just needed to clarify who did the original custom valving on that car to make it faster!

Our methods are very detailed, analytical and based on real-world experience owning and racing a Miata (since that's what's being focusing on in this thread). I've had a former Indycar and NASCAR team manager comment that he rarely sees such detail even in NASCAR. Our mathematical modeling/spreadsheets (JasonC_SBB has been a tremendous help) allow us dial in the entire vehicle's balance very carefully. I don't assume a customer knows all what spring rates/sway bars are actually optimal for a given application; including those who think they do
I removed the reference due to possible mis-information. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited by miatauser884; 03-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #112
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaikh_A View Post
No, you do NOT need to have adjustable for a 'double duty' setup. Once you have the right baseline valving for the vehicle, it should work (and does work in our case) very well wet or dry, autocross, street or track.

For those who want to run stock class autocross, Variant 1 makes a lot of sense. For coilovers and aggressive track/autocross but wanting street comfort, being able to soften the damping helps (Variant 2). Many people run our setups in various weather and track conditions without needing to change anything except tire pressure.

Keeping it real...
I'm glad you clarified the comment I made on M.net. I was trying to send business to FCM. It is not my intention to pit FCM and SD against one another.

While I appreciate you keeping it real......I would appreciate it if you didn't advertise your product in this group buy for a competing product. It's just Tacky
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #113
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

no kidding...
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #114
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 18
Total Cats: 10
Default

Mine either, though it's important to understand what a customer gets dollar for dollar.

Your comment in this thread about double-duty and the need for adjustable damping prompted my reply. Be careful making generalizations and I won't need to be 'tacky' by clarifying when adjustable damping is needed
Shaikh_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #115
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Those of us using this service for actual race use, know with a properly valved shock no adjust ability is required.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #116
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaikh_A View Post
Mine either, though it's important to understand what a customer gets dollar for dollar.

Your comment in this thread about double-duty and the need for adjustable damping prompted my reply. Be careful making generalizations and I won't need to be 'tacky' by clarifying when adjustable damping is needed
You weren't 'tacky' because you clarified an inaccuracy in my statement. You were 'tacky' because you promoted your competing product in this thread, AND just what are you trying to say with your dollar for dollar comparison?

Correct me all you want. Put your personal **** in your own thread.

Note: I edited the thread so that the inaccuracies would not be conveyed to the suspension uneducated like myself.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #117
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaikh_A View Post
Mine either, though it's important to understand what a customer gets dollar for dollar.
well why don't you lay it out there for us? Instead of making empty arguments with no fact backing it up.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #118
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Nice Shaikh A,

You had my group buy thread shut down at m.net.

I can't wait until the we get the new product on some of our cars. I'd be scared too.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #119
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 112
Total Cats: 0
Default

Email I sent to Shaikh to clear things up.

Hello,

I am not trying to get in on this pissing match with everyone, but I would like to clear up something. Rob Gibson did not run your shocks at the 25 hour race, he ran our set-up. He initially sent a set of shocks done by you, which I called you about. Rob asked if there was anything I would change and I stated to Rob I did not want to modify your valving. On that note, I did a simple oil and bushing change, and he sent a second set of shocks. The second set of shocks were non-modified standard SM shocks, and these are the ones I did my valving on. These are also the ones he ended up racing.


Bernie Stewart
Stewart Development
1321 West Fairfield Road
Suite #110
High Point, NC 27263
(336) 899-0072 Office
(336) 464-2764 Fax
STEWART DEVELOPMENT INC. - WELCOME
Bernie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #120
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie S. View Post
These are also the ones he ended up racing.

Which were featured in the GRM I just finished reading...

Good to have you here Mr. Stewart, and thanks for the input.

I hope your parts do all the plugging you'll ever need to do to make plenty of sells in the Miata community, and you'll thus be able to avoid online pissing matches.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
WTB Bellhousing Bolts patsmx5 WTB 1 10-01-2015 10:43 AM
Any pnp megasquirt for 2001 Big_gumby WTB 0 09-30-2015 04:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.