Who has broken a 6 speed? - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 2,073
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Nick, how much do you flatshift the car? When I stripped it I removed the clutch switches and disabled the flatshift since I felt it was too hard on the transmission. I know you used it last year at MRLS a little bit.
Maybe less than 30 times total. I haven't used it since MRLS last year.

FWIW i have an ACT HD w/ 6 puck sprung clutch. MT90 in the tranny with less than 4k miles on it (the fluid, aprox 70k on the tranny itself).

Last edited by thesnowboarder; 04-30-2010 at 09:30 PM.
thesnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 89
Total Cats: 0
Default

ive heard this before, the msm and 01+ trans are the same, they advertise the cryo/shotpeened gears on the msm as a selling feature, if you knew a sport had em, less reason for you to buy a msm, i guess.
TrackTestedMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #43
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,372
Total Cats: 1,336
Default

They upgraded the halfshafts for the MSM, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they shotpeened only the MSM boxes.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

4k for fluid on a trans that sees track duty? That seems like a bit long.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seven Valleys, PA
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp0623 View Post
.........and I've got a crap load of used six speed internal parts that I'll sell for cheeeaaaaaap to get them out of my garage. The areas of concern are in the group of parts I have.


Sav:

Under what conditions was snowboarders six speed when he broke it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTK450 View Post
Bob I have a 6 speed with a broken housing let me know if you need some parts.
sounds like there are a bunch of people with extra parts. Anyone happen to have a 99-00 shifter for a 6speed? The one with 2 slots?
swimming108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #46
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
4k for fluid on a trans that sees track duty? That seems like a bit long.
how many trips to the track did it see in those 4k miles?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #47
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming108 View Post
sounds like there are a bunch of people with extra parts. Anyone happen to have a 99-00 shifter for a 6speed? The one with 2 slots?
I've got a good front and middle housing. Sounds like if we all get together we can build a six speed
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 2,073
Total Cats: 5
Default

Where is everyone getting there 6-speeds from?

It seems whenever i need one, i can't find one.
thesnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: onion city,ca
Posts: 428
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
Where is everyone getting there 6-speeds from?

It seems whenever i need one, i can't find one.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1741452545.html

cl mystery 6spd ('99) for 800, but that may not be an upgrade
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: onion city,ca
Posts: 428
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
Where is everyone getting there 6-speeds from?

It seems whenever i need one, i can't find one.
random crap generator just produced:

fwiw, quaife gearset (5spd) for $1876

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/news.htm
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #51
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
random crap generator just produced:

fwiw, quaife gearset (5spd) for $1876

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/news.htm
lol
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #52
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quck question for you guys that might know. I'm going to build a 1.8 to drop in my 91 but the syncro in 3rd in my 1.6 is iffy. Can I put a 6 speed in my 1.6 without modification and then put it on the 1.8 when I'm done with the build? Or will it require some modification to go on the 1.6 that will inable me to put on the 1.8 when I'm ready?
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #53
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

short answer: yes

a 5-speed from a '94 will bolt right into a '90, and a 6-speed from an '04 will bolt right into a '94.

By that logic, a 6-speed from an '04 will bolt right into a '90. You will use your 1.6 driveshaft, and speed sensor assembly. You will cut the wiring connectors from one of your 5-speed tranny sensors and solder them onto the associated 6-speed tranny sensor. (remove the single black plastic connector on the 6-speed to solder on the 2 bullet connectors from the 5-speed) The 2 white plastic connectors are unchanged from '90 - 2004.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #54
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
short answer: yes

a 5-speed from a '94 will bolt right into a '90, and a 6-speed from an '04 will bolt right into a '94.

By that logic, a 6-speed from an '04 will bolt right into a '90. You will use your 1.6 driveshaft, and speed sensor assembly. You will cut the wiring connectors from one of your 5-speed tranny sensors and solder them onto the associated 6-speed tranny sensor. (remove the single black plastic connector on the 6-speed to solder on the 2 bullet connectors from the 5-speed) The 2 white plastic connectors are unchanged from '90 - 2004.
Is sodering necessary? can wire crimps not work or just not as sturdy? I would think a soder might short somehow if it got wet? dont mean to sound retarted but do you or any one know of a link that some one did this with pics? I have a MSM rear end I need to put in and I was looking for a MSM tranny but I acnt find one for under a G....are they worth it? I found another 5 speed for $125 in good shape. one more gear and some stirdyness for almost $900 more dollars.
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #55
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Some claim that the MSM transmission was made stronger with shot-peened gears

There are no unique, identifying part numbers/diagrams/etc. that would act as proof that there are 2 seperate types of gears for the MSM vs. Non-MSM transmissions.

A common thought is that all 6-speed gears are shot-peened, the MSM's just used it as a selling point.

You could use wire crimps as the circuit is not a potentiometer; but rather, it is a simple open/closed circuit. Perfect continuity is not paramount in the application. For the love of god, don't use wire nuts.

A solder joint will not short out if it gets wet, assuming you've properly insulated the wiring, which you would do anyways if you crimped it. After you have completed the wiring, regardless of crimp, solder, or nut, you will always insulate the wire. The best way is with heat shrink tubing, electrical taped at the ends. The most common way (and not necessarily a bad way) is simply to electrical tape both joints seperately, and then e-tape them together.

With regard to your MSM rear end. You will require the MSM axles to finish the install, as the MSM rear end will not mate up with N/A axles. If you do not have the MSM axles, do not attempt to install the MSM rear end. Any NA/NB transmission will mate up with any NA/NB rear end, driveshafts must match the rear end (1.6 rear end uses a longer driveshaft)
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #56
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
With regard to your MSM rear end. You will require the MSM axles to finish the install, as the MSM rear end will not mate up with N/A axles. If you do not have the MSM axles, do not attempt to install the MSM rear end. Any NA/NB transmission will mate up with any NA/NB rear end, driveshafts must match the rear end (1.6 rear end uses a longer driveshaft)
Thanks, I have the axles and drive shaft from a 94+ (not exactly sure what year but I've read any will work) I just need a carrier casing and it's impossible to find for a reasonable price. Anyone have a spare?
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #57
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

you're planning to use regular '94+ axles with the MSM rear end?

if so, re-read my previous post, again and agin, until it makes sense
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #58
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
you're planning to use regular '94+ axles with the MSM rear end?

if so, re-read my previous post, again and agin, until it makes sense
Driveshaft from any 1.8 will work with the MSM rear.
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #59
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd579 View Post
Driveshaft from any 1.8 will work with the MSM rear.
You are correct. I am not arguing with you.

Go back a third time, and re-read my post again and again...until you understand, without question...I'll even quote it for you so you dont have to waste time scrolling up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Some claim that the MSM transmission was made stronger with shot-peened gears

There are no unique, identifying part numbers/diagrams/etc. that would act as proof that there are 2 seperate types of gears for the MSM vs. Non-MSM transmissions.

A common thought is that all 6-speed gears are shot-peened, the MSM's just used it as a selling point.

You could use wire crimps as the circuit is not a potentiometer; but rather, it is a simple open/closed circuit. Perfect continuity is not paramount in the application. For the love of god, don't use wire nuts.

A solder joint will not short out if it gets wet, assuming you've properly insulated the wiring, which you would do anyways if you crimped it. After you have completed the wiring, regardless of crimp, solder, or nut, you will always insulate the wire. The best way is with heat shrink tubing, electrical taped at the ends. The most common way (and not necessarily a bad way) is simply to electrical tape both joints seperately, and then e-tape them together.

With regard to your MSM rear end. You will require the MSM axles to finish the install, as the MSM rear end will not mate up with N/A axles. If you do not have the MSM axles, do not attempt to install the MSM rear end. Any NA/NB transmission will mate up with any NA/NB rear end, driveshafts must match the rear end (1.6 rear end uses a longer driveshaft)

Here's a cheat sheet.

The driveshaft will work. The axles will not.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #60
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

I'm sorry, I see where you got confused on my initial post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd579 View Post
Thanks, I have the axles from a MSM and drive shaft from a 94+ (not exactly sure what year but I've read any will work) I just need a carrier casing and it's impossible to find for a reasonable price. Anyone have a spare?
Fixed
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM
Innovate LC-2 Wideband O2 Sensor w8lifter21 Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-14-2015 12:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.