sandblasted 6UL Failure - need replacements - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Wheels and Tires All things related to Miata Wheels and Tires.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Sandblast and paint them...


Needs more acetone
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 793
Total Cats: 172
Default

Wheel Tech
""Gen III can be identified by the VIA stamp near the valve hole.""



""The JWL standard (Japan Light Alloy Wheel standard) is a set of requirements for alloy wheels set by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (Japan) that must be met for all passenger cars in Japan. The JWL mark, cast or forged into the wheel, indicates that the wheel has been self-certified by its manufacturer to meet the standard. There is a related standard, JWL-T, for truck and bus wheels.
The Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan (VIA) independently tests wheels for JWL or JWL-T compliance. Wheels that have been tested will bear the VIA mark in addition to the JWL mark.""

/threadjack over
Attached Thumbnails
sandblasted 6UL Failure - need replacements-821e70cf-d2ae-40bb-9caa-b3e67dedf455-28582-00000c86a73e362f_zps8bc8a657.jpg  
doward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,510
Total Cats: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
Yes, all four of those places seem to be out of nickel 15x8s. I caved and bought silver 5 years ago because of this, and I don't want to do it again. I've always wished for nickels...
I'm pretty sure everyone is out on the15x8 nickels, but if you can't wait, you might try checking with Savington and see if he still has any of the silver left. (disappointment aside)

https://www.miataturbo.net/trackspee...neering-74411/
good2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

There are some places that still have some silvers, but I'm sick of the nickels ALWAYS being sold out.

Anyway, here's a picture of the biggest crack for anybody that cares.

It really doesn't look that bad with that picture, but I tried.
Attached Thumbnails
sandblasted 6UL Failure - need replacements-10075557636_d601dbf6eb_o.jpg  
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
Yes, all four of those places seem to be out of nickel 15x8s. I caved and bought silver 5 years ago because of this, and I don't want to do it again. I've always wished for nickels...
Creative solution:
  • Buy two silver 6UL's in whatever size you can find (used or new).
  • Attend your cone chasing event.
  • Buy four (or five) nickel 6UL's when they become available this winter.
  • Sell the mismatched set of silvers to some Honda or Mini Cooper kid.
  • ?????
  • Profit.
Double O 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

That looks plenty bad. I need to clean up some used wheels I just bought and double check them before the next event.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
It really doesn't look that bad with that picture, but I tried.
All I can say is YIKES!! Agree with Scrappy. That looks bad.
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #28
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 581
Total Cats: 4
Default

Get 15x9 and be done with it ! Who really care about color..... function over form
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #29
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,875
Total Cats: 344
Default

I have a set of nickel 15x9s with my Hoosiers on them -- the paint lasted maybe a month before it started chipping off. I don't really care because they're race wheels, but I've heard from several other people that the nickel paint is the least durable. (I've also heard this has been improved since then, but that it's still something of an issue).

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #30
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Anyone else think this thread title is a bit misleading?

Not really fair to the 6ULs. More like 'I didn't listen to Emilio and fucked up my wheels' for a title.

Btw, just go 15x9.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #31
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Anyone else think this thread title is a bit misleading?

Not really fair to the 6ULs. More like 'I didn't listen to Emilio and fucked up my wheels' for a title.

Btw, just go 15x9.
15x9s are even more sold out.

And the thread title is pretty precise; my wheels, which are 6ULs, failed, and I need replacements. I take full responsibility in my original post.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Anyone else think this thread title is a bit misleading?

Not really fair to the 6ULs. More like 'I didn't listen to Emilio and fucked up my wheels' for a title.

Btw, just go 15x9.
No its not misleading. Wheels fail, it happens from cyclic loading. Its not like he's blaming it on emillio. I wouldnt blame the powder coat either, they were probably cracked under the paint already and it just hadn't cracked the paint yet. RE nickle 6ul, they're heavier that the other colors, why would you ever buy them, ounces are precious.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #33
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Total Cats: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
No its not misleading. Wheels fail, it happens from cyclic loading. Its not like he's blaming it on emillio. I wouldnt blame the powder coat either, they were probably cracked under the paint already and it just hadn't cracked the paint yet. RE nickle 6ul, they're heavier that the other colors, why would you ever buy them, ounces are precious.
No, they weren't cracked under the paint. Sandblasting a lightweight race wheel is a no-no. The 4th wheel that did not get sandblasted but saw the same use was not cracked. If a wheel cracks, regardless of brand, you can almost always see it through the paint.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Not if its Adamantium based paint!

I'm hoping by this point there's a big warning on your site about a wheel's sensitivity to sandblasting and powder coating? I think you've had a few customers try one or both.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

Says powder coat voids the warranty, but that's all I've seen so far.

Let's be clear here, I knew the risk when I had these sandblasted, the point of this thread is to help me figure out which wheels I want next. I guess I'm sort of guilty of a sensationalist title to try to get people in here, but it seems to have worked.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,510
Total Cats: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
I have a set of nickel 15x9s with my Hoosiers on them -- the paint lasted maybe a month before it started chipping off. I don't really care because they're race wheels, but I've heard from several other people that the nickel paint is the least durable. (I've also heard this has been improved since then, but that it's still something of an issue).

--Ian
Ian, which generation were those?
good2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #37
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,875
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
Ian, which generation were those?
They have the stamp next to the valve hole, so by the description earlier in this thread they must be 3rd gen.

They live a hard life -- cycled on and off the car at least once a month, and I'm probably not as careful about installing them as I could be. I don't blame anyone, they're race wheels and I'm OK with that.

That said, the Kosei K1s that served this duty before I bought the 6ULs, and the TD wheels with the street tires on them (which get swapped just as often, only the other way) don't have the same kinds of issues with paint chipping. I bought another set of 15x9 6ULs a couple months ago (these will probably be street wheels), and I went with silver this time, for cosmetic durability reasons.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,434
Total Cats: 58
Default

Should have galvanized them instead of blasting and painting. Set a new trend rather than repeating a failed old trend.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
They have the stamp next to the valve hole, so by the description earlier in this thread they must be 3rd gen.

They live a hard life -- cycled on and off the car at least once a month, and I'm probably not as careful about installing them as I could be. I don't blame anyone, they're race wheels and I'm OK with that.

That said, the Kosei K1s that served this duty before I bought the 6ULs, and the TD wheels with the street tires on them (which get swapped just as often, only the other way) don't have the same kinds of issues with paint chipping. I bought another set of 15x9 6ULs a couple months ago (these will probably be street wheels), and I went with silver this time, for cosmetic durability reasons.

--Ian
Whoops, misread.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
I have a set of Nickel 15x9 6uls I will sell... of course they were spraybombed black...

So what I am saying is my offer is of no use to you.
Ive Aircraft strippered spraybombed wheels before, and the powder coating underneath was left untouched, and undamaged. Still might be a good option depending on price though.
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.