Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 283 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #5641
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,837
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
Ever notice how none of these nut cases ever attacks someone who will shoot back? ...

OK, one Ft. Hood (before someone points it out).
A military base is a "Gun Free Zone" just like a school or anywhere else that private possession of firearms is completely forbidden. Nobody is allowed to carry, period, except police or MA's in the line of duty. You still have to make a phone call and wait for police to arrive. Other than response time, it's no different than an elementary school when it comes to personal protection. A dude could walk into any commissary, Exchange food court, gym, whatever... on any military base and kill 20 people before the first phone call went out.

IN ******* FACT! Both civilian contractors and military police (MA's) are not allowed to drive through the gates armed. I REPEAT, they are not allowed to drive to work with a gun in their possession or in their vehicle. They must arm up at work and disarm before getting back in their car and driving home.

The only exception to driving through the gate with a personal firearm are:

1: Base housing residents (not BOQ or Barracks): All firearms must be registered with the National Military Security Bullshit Whatever (basically complete gov't registration) and forms signed by your own CO, and by the base CO, and by a 1/2 dozen dudes in the security dept. GET THIS ****!!! Every time you buy a new gun, you have to go through the entire process again... every single serial number and make/model of gun RE-*******-REGISTERED and the entire approval process again. AND YES, I LIVE ON A MILITARY BASE! Of course the guns have to be unloaded and the gun/ammo in a separate part of the vehicle, AND the gun has to have a trigger or cable-lock installed when transiting to/from your house to the gate. It's a gigantic ******* pain in my *** to load/unload four or five times a day while sitting in traffic.

2: Hunting or shooting sports: Lots of bases allow hunting and have shooting ranges open to military/retirees... but that shiz is on the decline because of the fairly new mando-registration and full Gov't ****-you paperwork.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #5642
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,661
Total Cats: 1,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
No time to plug numbers into a spreadsheet but at a glance it looks like people come out of church pissed off at something and decide to stop by the house and get the gun...
Intuitively, it seems to make sense. Most people have more free time to make trouble on the weekends, and a bar-fight which escalated into shots being fired would qualify for the above list provided that a sufficiently high number of people wound up being wounded (regardless of whether anyone actually died.) An act need not be premeditated to qualify as a mass-shooting.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #5643
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,121
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

im surprised that infographic isnt for chicago alone.


i think the question now is: how many people do the LA police shoot at, that have absolutely nothing to do with today's events.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #5644
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,661
Total Cats: 1,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
i think the question now is: how many people do the LA police shoot at, that have absolutely nothing to do with today's events.
Six.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #5645
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,215
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
I honestly wonder about the proliferation of psychotropic drug prescriptions for (relatively) mild conditions and how that plays into these events. The incidence of psychotic/violent episodes as a side effect may be extremely rare, but when you've got a few hundred thousand people on these drugs...
Might want to raise the # on that one... millions last I checked?


Random article/report sets it at about 13% of the population in 2012.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #5646
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Might want to raise the # on that one... millions last I checked?


Random article/report sets it at about 13% of the population in 2012.
Which honestly is part of my point. These drugs, and the people who took them were not part of the general populace at the times we had these state institutions.

So now, we prescribe **** that really screws people up and let them go back home. 'Oh by the way honey, don't forget to stop by the gun store and pick up that nice shiny new assault rifle you've been wanting.'
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #5647
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
A military base is a "Gun Free Zone" just like a school or anywhere else that private possession of firearms is completely forbidden. Nobody is allowed to carry, period, except police or MA's in the line of duty. You still have to make a phone call and wait for police to arrive. Other than response time, it's no different than an elementary school when it comes to personal protection. A dude could walk into any commissary, Exchange food court, gym, whatever... on any military base and kill 20 people before the first phone call went out.

IN ******* FACT! Both civilian contractors and military police (MA's) are not allowed to drive through the gates armed. I REPEAT, they are not allowed to drive to work with a gun in their possession or in their vehicle. They must arm up at work and disarm before getting back in their car and driving home.

The only exception to driving through the gate with a personal firearm are:

1: Base housing residents (not BOQ or Barracks): All firearms must be registered with the National Military Security Bullshit Whatever (basically complete gov't registration) and forms signed by your own CO, and by the base CO, and by a 1/2 dozen dudes in the security dept. GET THIS ****!!! Every time you buy a new gun, you have to go through the entire process again... every single serial number and make/model of gun RE-*******-REGISTERED and the entire approval process again. AND YES, I LIVE ON A MILITARY BASE! Of course the guns have to be unloaded and the gun/ammo in a separate part of the vehicle, AND the gun has to have a trigger or cable-lock installed when transiting to/from your house to the gate. It's a gigantic ******* pain in my *** to load/unload four or five times a day while sitting in traffic.

2: Hunting or shooting sports: Lots of bases allow hunting and have shooting ranges open to military/retirees... but that shiz is on the decline because of the fairly new mando-registration and full Gov't ****-you paperwork.
You're right I should've known that. Ok, take away my comment related to a military base and it's still relevant.

Not quite crazy enough to want to get shot back at I'm guessing.
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #5648
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Might want to raise the # on that one... millions last I checked?


Random article/report sets it at about 13% of the population in 2012.
Probably, I shot low on the number because I didn't feel like checking.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #5649
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Probably, I shot low on the number because I didn't feel like checking.
America's 'startling' use of mental-illness drugs: By the numbers

Little more in depth;

http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/doc...n/s19032en.pdf
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #5650
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,121
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

I wonder if Syed was a crazy white Christian Republucan who was also a member of the NRA?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #5651
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,121
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Just yesterday, I was looking at an infographic which detailed the frequency of mass-shootings in the US. For 2015, there's been more than one a day on average. I was going to post it, but decided "Nah, Brainey will just think I'm stirring the pot."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...far-this-year/
weird, i was going to post this and figured "Nah, Joe Perez doesnt care about Black people."

Suspect Arrested in New Orleans Playground Shooting That Wounded 17 - NBC News

Quote:
16 People Injured in New Orleans Playground Shootings

A suspect was arrested Saturday in connection with a New Orleans playground shootout last week that left 17 people injured, including 11 teenagers and children, police said.

The man, Joseph Allen, 32, turned himself in after police released a photo and announced that he would be charged with 17 counts of first-degree attempted murder, NBC affiliate WDSU reported.

...
I made sure to post the NBC stories for you and not the same thing from FoxNews.






then related:

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #5652
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I wonder if Syed was a crazy white Christian Republucan who was also a member of the NRA?
Likely...

He was living the American dream anyway.

"His interests were listed as “working on vintage and modern cars,” reading religious cars, “eating out sometimes,” travel, “and just hang out in back yard doing target practice with younger sister and friends.”"

Syed Farook: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Last edited by bahurd; 12-03-2015 at 11:17 AM.
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #5653
Boost Czar

Thread Starter
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,121
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

4. and 5. arent facts about him...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #5654
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
4. and 5. arent facts about him...
So sue the web site.

"Farook Visited Saudi Arabia & Came Back With a Wife, a Co-Worker Says"

No doubt the pundits will claim his wife was a radical and/or he was radicalized during that 1 month he spent in Saudi Arabia. Let's ban all travel to/from the middle east.
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #5655
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,184
Total Cats: 321
Default

Better yet, let's just make the whole place too radioactive to visit.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #5656
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Better yet, let's just make the whole place too radioactive to visit.
Well guess that's out... He was a US born citizen.

Fairly well done up to date blog on the shootings

I'm sorry but it doesn't look like a workplace dispute to me at least;

"As details emerge about the Illinois-born environmental health specialist, nothing has even begun to hint why a man described as quiet and polite should storm out of the San Bernardino County public health department party and return with his wife, both armed with guns and explosive devices and wearing military-style gear."

And I guess they'll be voting quickly on a re-authorization of all the NSA programs (have they really stopped??)

"San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook was in touch over the phone and via social media with more than one international terrorism subject who the FBI were already investigating, law enforcement officials said. It appears that Farook was radicalized, which contributed to his motive, though other things -- like workplace grievances -- may have also played a role, other law enforcement sources said."

And I guess we still want to play the workplace grievance card. Just so we don't need to admit they may be terrorists
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #5657
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Seeing lots of "reasonable restriction" crap floating around today. I'm trying to resist the urge to engage, but I wonder if the progressives that tend to make these suggestions have considered how discriminatory (toward the poor) those policies would be.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #5658
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,344
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Seeing lots of "reasonable restriction" crap floating around today. I'm trying to resist the urge to engage, but I wonder if the progressives that tend to make these suggestions have considered how discriminatory (toward the poor) those policies would be.
You mean the 'poor' wouldn't be able to defend themselves? Not sure I follow your point.
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #5659
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
You mean the 'poor' wouldn't be able to defend themselves? Not sure I follow your point.
Right.

The wealthy, what with all their leisure time and expendable income, can easily afford to take time off work to attend training classes, pay for that training, buy the several hundred rounds of ammo required for training classes, buy quality guns from licensed dealers, schedule time for continuing education training, take yet more time off of work to pass proficiency tests, and so on. Heck, just the cost of transportation to and from all of these requirements is a burden on the poor.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #5660
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,184
Total Cats: 321
Default

I am so sick of hearing that something discriminates against the poor. That's what being poor is. You don't get to go to the nicer restaurants, you don't get the nicest electronic gadgets, you don't get to hang out at the country club. Not having is supposed to motivate you to be not poor, not to expect free crap from everyone, or have perfectly reasonable solutions shot down because the poor don't get to participate.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.