weld el manifold - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mmmjesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 362
Total Cats: 32
Default weld el manifold

so i have a question. i am getting ready to build a manifold that will most likely be similar to artechs design. i have a choice between two flanges that are mostly the same other than weld el size. one is 1.25 and the other is 1.5

any preference or opinion from those who have experience?
mmmjesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 224
Default

go with the thicker flanges
Girz0r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Elite Member
 
DNMakinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 1,898
Total Cats: 166
Default

1.25 works very well for log manifold. El's and Tee's need only a little material removed for it all to fit in the cylinder port spacing. I built mine El, Tee, Tee, El.

Also, 1.5 usually needs to be flattened into the oval shape of the ports. There are flanges available for the 1.25 that transition perfectly from the Oval to the 1.25 diameter.

EDIT: Oh, you're not making a log. 1.25 still makes sense to me.
DNMakinson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,209
Total Cats: 976
Default

1.25 supposedly spools faster. Its a pain to make 2 1.25" els fit over a t3 flange though. Lots of swearing and hammering. Any more than 2 meeting at the flange would be better.

I'm assuming hes talking about a flange that transitions to the right size. It makes it way easier to fit and weld your bits.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mmmjesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 362
Total Cats: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMakinson View Post
Also, 1.5 usually needs to be flattened into the oval shape of the ports. There are flanges available for the 1.25 that transition perfectly from the Oval to the 1.25 diameter.
They make the flanges that transition to oval in both 1.25 and 1.5

mmmjesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mmmjesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 362
Total Cats: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
1.25 supposedly spools faster. Its a pain to make 2 1.25" els fit over a t3 flange though. Lots of swearing and hammering. Any more than 2 meeting at the flange would be better.

I'm assuming hes talking about a flange that transitions to the right size. It makes it way easier to fit and weld your bits.
I am using a t2 flange so the fit there is fine. I am mainly curious about this spool thing and how significant it actually is.
mmmjesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,209
Total Cats: 976
Default

Probably not much at all.

1.5 will flow more at the top end.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,404
Total Cats: 777
Default

Go 1.5" and get your head flange from prl motorsports.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,680
Total Cats: 93
Default

I'd stick with 1.25 unless you're shooting for something like 450hp. I think thats the number I settled on when I did the math when I built my first EFR manifold.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:02 AM   #10
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,432
Total Cats: 108
Default

1.25 spools better and I think will make more power unless you somehow manage some magical porting on the head oversized valves and mega lift cams shooting for north of 450hp. Having the exhaust gas slow down in large diameter tubes after leaving the head then speed back up as it necks down to the to the nozzle of the turbine will cost hp over keeping the velocity more constant.

400 hp here with 1.25" sch 40 longish equal length weld el manifold.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mmmjesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 362
Total Cats: 32
Default

so my goal is 300whp but i do want to keep the torque lowish for drivetrain longevity. 300/260 i think would be nice.

This is on a VVT motor and i plan to rev to 7500. part of the reason i was originally leaning to 1.5, so that it could build good top end power.

i am probably overthinking it and it wont matter much either way
mmmjesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,432
Total Cats: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjesse View Post
so my goal is 300whp but i do want to keep the torque lowish for drivetrain longevity. 300/260 i think would be nice.

This is on a VVT motor and i plan to rev to 7500. part of the reason i was originally leaning to 1.5, so that it could build good top end power.

i am probably overthinking it and it wont matter much either way
at 300 HP you will be happier with 1.25"
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Total Cats: 6
Default

I'm in the same boat, I've decided to drop my crazy double helix design and go with a log. How do you guys attach the flange to the log though? Do you find a pipe with the right perimeter and crush it into a T25 shape?
squeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,404
Total Cats: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I'm in the same boat, I've decided to drop my crazy double helix design and go with a log. How do you guys attach the flange to the log though? Do you find a pipe with the right perimeter and crush it into a T25 shape?
You buy this head flange and 1.5" schedule 40 weld welds fit on perfectly. Well you buy that flange if 1.8, they also have the 1.6 flange if you need that.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,209
Total Cats: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
You buy this head flange and 1.5" schedule 40 weld welds fit on perfectly. Well you buy that flange if 1.8, they also have the 1.6 flange if you need that.
He's asking about the turbo flange.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,404
Total Cats: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
He's asking about the turbo flange.
Well then I have an answer for that also. Here is the flange to use for T2. Here is the flange for t3. Or just shoot me a pm.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ace's Dual Duty LS1 Build acedeuce802 Build Threads 33 01-17-2017 08:34 PM
astral's Haltech Turbo NA Build astral Build Threads 25 09-15-2016 03:25 PM
Need weights: Greddy TD04 & manifold ThePass Prefabbed Turbo Kits 1 08-17-2016 01:11 AM
Mk1 1800 Turbo Eunos S-Special JDM build MintyTheEunos Build Threads 8 07-18-2016 07:36 AM
WTB 1.6 manifold JoeyehNA WTB 0 07-01-2016 04:26 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.