Honda intake manifold - Page 16 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions. KMiata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #301
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
Got the OBX one in the mail today. The 1.8 ports really are almost identical.....might be able to get away with just re-drilling the flange and welding the injector bosses shut.



(Note: Im waiting on a 99 gasket, so this ones from my egt engine)
Holy port-match solution!

If only it was that simple for ex manis.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #302
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

mikeflys1, did you find out anything more about the compatibility of this flange with a 99 head?
MazDilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #303
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,273
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Link please? I searched his posts and found a build thread but no mention of IM.

ABSURDflow/TSE Time Attack Miata v.2010 upgrades
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #304
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,672
Total Cats: 9
Default

Did you dyno this hoe already?
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #305
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 907
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon01 View Post
Did you dyno this hoe already?
Damnit I was coming in here to ask the exact same question
johnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #306
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,273
Total Cats: 0
Default

No, Waiting for Tyson to set it up. Gonna do a dyno/track combo on a Friday. Hit Japtrix then head out to PBIR.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #307
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,672
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
No, Waiting for Tyson to set it up. Gonna do a dyno/track combo on a Friday. Hit Japtrix then head out to PBIR.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #308
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
chicksdigmiatas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,252
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
Got the OBX one in the mail today. The 1.8 ports really are almost identical.....might be able to get away with just re-drilling the flange and welding the injector bosses shut.




(Note: Im waiting on a 99 gasket, so this ones from my egt engine)
Keep me posted on this, i bought another stocker to begin this project. If so, i will sell the stock one, and just drill the blox.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #309
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 360
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazDilla View Post
mikeflys1, did you find out anything more about the compatibility of this flange with a 99 head?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdigmiatas View Post
Keep me posted on this, i bought another stocker to begin this project. If so, i will sell the stock one, and just drill the blox.

Yea, good and bad news there...

Theres plenty of room to re-drill the new holes on the flange but theres also just too material above the ports and it interferes with the stock injector location. You'd pretty much have to cut away the injector bosses on the manifold and then weld up the roof of each runner in order to make it work.

So its doable, but it definitely wont be the prettiest manifold
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #310
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,668
Total Cats: 227
Default

Hmm, I wonder if the re-drilling solution with that manifold would be better on a 1.6 where you would actually use the injector ports.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #311
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,425
Total Cats: 1,426
Default

if the b16 and b18 have matching port spacing/bolts, and they match our 1.8L...chance are they won't match the 1.6L ports
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #312
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,273
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
Hmm, I wonder if the re-drilling solution with that manifold would be better on a 1.6 where you would actually use the injector ports.
No
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #313
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
Yea, good and bad news there...

Theres plenty of room to re-drill the new holes on the flange but theres also just too material above the ports and it interferes with the stock injector location. You'd pretty much have to cut away the injector bosses on the manifold and then weld up the roof of each runner in order to make it work.

So its doable, but it definitely wont be the prettiest manifold
Double hmmm. Why not just tap the hole, insert a long plug, and grind down the plugged boss?

Last edited by MazDilla; 06-18-2010 at 12:06 PM.
MazDilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #314
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

NVM... after looking at an intake flange you would have to grind too deep to use a tapped plug.
MazDilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #315
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
chicksdigmiatas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,252
Total Cats: 7
Default

Know who doesn't care about looks? <<<< This guy.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #316
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 579
Total Cats: 12
Default

This may sound like a really stupid question... but why not just use b16/18 injectors and fuel rail? They are both in the high resistance category (13-ish ohms), and then there would be no fitment issues. B16 injectors can be had in just about any size you could dream of as well and I'm assuming a little plumbing of fuel lines and a simple injector size correction is trivial to most of the people interested in doing this. Or is there something bigger that I'm missing?
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #317
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,655
Total Cats: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron340 View Post
This may sound like a really stupid question... but why not just use b16/18 injectors and fuel rail? They are both in the high resistance category (13-ish ohms), and then there would be no fitment issues. B16 injectors can be had in just about any size you could dream of as well and I'm assuming a little plumbing of fuel lines and a simple injector size correction is trivial to most of the people interested in doing this. Or is there something bigger that I'm missing?
Because the injectors are already in the head, and on the 1.6 the honda flange doenst line up with the ports.
It would be good if you wnated to run auxiliary injectors though, especially for you E85 guys
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #318
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Faeflora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,763
Total Cats: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
Because the injectors are already in the head, and on the 1.6 the honda flange doenst line up with the ports.
It would be good if you wnated to run auxiliary injectors though, especially for you E85 guys
**** the 1.6. The 1.8 is the grand mamma daddy.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #319
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 360
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron340 View Post
This may sound like a really stupid question... but why not just use b16/18 injectors and fuel rail? They are both in the high resistance category (13-ish ohms), and then there would be no fitment issues. B16 injectors can be had in just about any size you could dream of as well and I'm assuming a little plumbing of fuel lines and a simple injector size correction is trivial to most of the people interested in doing this. Or is there something bigger that I'm missing?

Would be awesome but wont fit. The Miata intake ports don't have the same hump at the top to accommodate the injectors that the honda ports do.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #320
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,352
Total Cats: 79
Default

Does anyone know of anyone naturally aspirated who's tried this intake manifold or similar?

In theory the manifold operation doesn't get affected by being boosted or not - IOW the same % topend gains should be visible in an N/A car.

UNLESS... there's a 2rd order effect where the intake runner resonance interacts with an N/A car's exhaust scavenging, which isn't present with turbo cars.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 53 12-07-2016 05:52 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.