so there have been some things going on with the car since my last time that I visited this site.
First: The rest of the winter in preparation for the May race;
Since you saw us cut up the spare car for parts we spent the majority of our time in the winter to prep the car for the next season. The overall thought was that we would do all of the work over the winter and leave the car as is during the season with the only replacements being expendable parts. Then after this racing season we were to look at what improvements we needed to make to the car.
So the improvements for the May race were:
- rebuild the engine
- Put in cams for said engine OBX cams
- Tune said engine
- Big *** front sway bar and mounts
and we did just that in prep for the may race. In our tuning session we eeked out 122whp /120 wtq on a Mustang Dyno (EFI Logics) using resistors and other old school fangled contraptions.
Then the team packed up the car and headed to Jersey for the race. I Couldn't go since it was mothers day weekend, I have a new baby, it was my wife's first Mothers day, and the child wound up getting sick and we were in the ED all weekend.
So what happened to the team? Excessive oil consumption lead to blowing the engine. that ended day 1 and day two was stopped when lift off oversteer put the car into the tire barriers on the back end of Thunderbolt.
During the race the front end got crumpled and the lack of aero caused the car to understeer through the corners.
They brought back the car home battered and we had to go to work to fix it for the following race (August)
Cause of the engine death:
When we broke down the engine we noticed a few things. Some of the rod bearings were totally crushed, a nut in the throttle body backed out and spent time in Cylinder one, then cylinder 4 before exiting the exhaust; this bent the #4 sparkplug so that there was no gap, and inefficient cylinder scuffing and lack of rings seating caused myriad issues.
So a new list was made for August:
- Fix the body work
- Rebuild the engine again
- Cut the top of the doors so we don't need to open them
- Cut the lower part of the quarter panels to let airflow behind the wheels
- vent the top of the fenders
- replace the rear brake light with a LED light
- added wink mirror
- formed new roof without the side walls
So aside from maintenance, we started working on rebuilding the engine again. In the process we ordered all of the wrong bearings, and rings, and had to buy multiple sets, and finally got the engine in the car the day before we had to leave.
Also last minute we added in a cool suit cooler and shirts to keep us away from the red mist.
Here is a picture of the car in August racing at Thompson:
, on Flickr
Post race: We wound up in 15th place overall and 11th in class A (We had no lap penalties)
Also during the race we lost 3rd and at the end 4th gear so we have to replace the transmission for the next race.
The car did run well but we did consume oil, and we think this is due to not having a catch can/ aos setup. Thompson is a very difficult course with lots of compromise corners and little relaxation, and other teams were having oil consumption as well.
Finally we did hit some debris which caused the loss of the splitter, but not the air dam, front, and the car still behaved well. So our splitter doesn't do much, but as long as we have the front air dam we still have front traction.
So now we embark on prepping the car for the next race:
Our regular maintenance is to replace/ repack hubs
Change motor oil and filter
Change transmission fluid (Full flush after a season)
Bleed brakes/ add fluid Every race) flush after a season
and now change transmission.
Our cold compression is around 130# and although low seems even throughout the cylinders.
and finally make an air oil separator on the cheap and make it work well.