Rotrex Built Engine NB! Come at me bro! - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

It never ceases to amaze me what race gas and E85 will allow you to do with timing, even with 10:1 and a PD blower.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
I use those exact same slugs in my motor:

I run 17 PSI and this is my timing map:

The car makes gobs of torque and power isn't detonation limited anywhere. Granted this isn't a pump gas motor but I DO like the idea of high compression and high boost.


definitely something amazing!


Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post

How many miles do you drive a year? Keep in mind that RS3s are out of stock for like, half a year.
I just picked up a daily 2 months ago havnt been driving the Miata hardly at all. This amount should go up once I get tires on the car.

Tirerack and OnlineTires both list them as in stock? If thats the case then obviously I'm going to chose another option.
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #63
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,517
Total Cats: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurbo View Post
I just picked up a daily 2 months ago havnt been driving the Miata hardly at all. This amount should go up once I get tires on the car.

Tirerack and OnlineTires both list them as in stock? If thats the case then obviously I'm going to chose another option.
They go out of stock around May (if not earlier) and stay like that until... about November sounds right

https://www.miataturbo.net/wheels-ti...s-still-63448/
Hankook RS3 Stock? - Honda-Tech
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #64
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Bottom end machining is finished, just about to order my ACL bearings and get the bottom end back together.
Block is bored to 3.308" +/- .0001"
Crankshaft is balanced and reground; still within factory specs,
going to use .025 oversized bearings for slightly looser clearances (more pow pow


Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
They go out of stock around May (if not earlier) and stay like that until... about November sounds right

https://www.miataturbo.net/wheels-ti...s-still-63448/
Hankook RS3 Stock? - Honda-Tech
Perfect! Once the car gets back to me I'll be selling my current wheels and getting some RS3s on 6ULs.
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #65
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

I need to either sell my RS3s or buy a set of 15x9 6ULs. I just don't drive enough to justify 3 sets of tires in the garage. I'll probably wait till they go out of stock again and then put them on CraigsList

Who sells magical Rotrex SX100 juice these days? I'd rather buy it from a vendor than directly from Kraftwerks. 949, Trackdog, GoodWin... no one seems to carry it any more.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #66
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,311
Total Cats: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I need to either sell my RS3s or buy a set of 15x9 6ULs. I just don't drive enough to justify 3 sets of tires in the garage. I'll probably wait till they go out of stock again and then put them on CraigsList

Who sells magical Rotrex SX100 juice these days? I'd rather buy it from a vendor than directly from Kraftwerks. 949, Trackdog, GoodWin... no one seems to carry it any more.
Rotrex Traction Fluid | Jackson Racing
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #67
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Nice. Thanks Emilio!

Good to see Jackson back in the game after the whole Kraftwerks debacle. People can say what they will about their products, but I always had pretty positive dealings with them (the Jacksons)

Last edited by EO2K; 11-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #68
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I need to either sell my RS3s or buy a set of 15x9 6ULs. I just don't drive enough to justify 3 sets of tires in the garage. I'll probably wait till they go out of stock again and then put them on CraigsList
You can do that, or you can hook this guy up right here

Thats money in your pocket and space in your garage now! not in 6 months
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default



Crankshaft balancing, not too much taken off which always puts good trust in manufacturer specs

some of the ford and chevy cranks were all kinds of wonky compared to this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotrex Built Engine NB! Come at me bro!-balancedcrank1.jpg  
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #70
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Looks like an interesting build, awesome that you're doing it yourself. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #71
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurbo View Post
You can do that, or you can hook this guy up right here

Thats money in your pocket and space in your garage now! not in 6 months
I still haven't responded to your earlier PM. I'll give it some thought and this and reply tonight.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #72
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Looks like an interesting build, awesome that you're doing it yourself. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I still haven't responded to your earlier PM. I'll give it some thought and this and reply tonight.
Hmmm well pending your response on the tires; that plan may or may not fall through



And here's my favorite picture of the car in its current form.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotrex Built Engine NB! Come at me bro!-miataatkw.jpg  
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #73
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

I've been brainstorming off-color ways to Frankenstein the Kraftwerks kit to get the most out of it. dreaming up WI kits and IC ducting.

This seems to be the best find I had; a boost limiter valve.

This would allow me to pulley the charger to make more boost, but bleed off excess. I wouldnt be limited by the max boost/rpm values of a pulley.

Anyone use one of these on their FI setup with any success?

928 Motorsports - Porsche® 928 Performance Parts - Universal Adjustable Boost Limiter Valve (BLV) - Porsche® 928 World record Holder 216.63537 mph
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #74
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,576
Default

fail
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #75
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
fail
care to elaborate?
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #76
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,576
Default

You're building a motor. Throw w/i or e85 in there and run ALLOFIT.
Using gay bleed valves like that to try to make it less of a centri sc and more of a turbo is fail, because then you shoulda just gone turbo from the get go.

I'm a little tipsy, so bear with me here, but:

Look at Falcons thread. Top notch build and great car overall. After all was said and done, and a ton of money and work invested, he was making 300whp or something, basically a lot for a rotrex miata. He then started exploring a ton of ideas (check the threads, you'll see) about how to get more torque outa it. AFter tons of discussion and whatnot, months later we see a for sale thread.
Moral of story: he wanted turbo power/torque curve, but went sc.
He shoulda just gone turbo

Kinda seems like you're going down the same path
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
You're building a motor. Throw w/i or e85 in there and run ALLOFIT.
Using gay bleed valves like that to try to make it less of a centri sc and more of a turbo is fail, because then you shoulda just gone turbo from the get go.

I'm a little tipsy, so bear with me here, but:

Look at Falcons thread. Top notch build and great car overall. After all was said and done, and a ton of money and work invested, he was making 300whp or something, basically a lot for a rotrex miata. He then started exploring a ton of ideas (check the threads, you'll see) about how to get more torque outa it. AFter tons of discussion and whatnot, months later we see a for sale thread.
Moral of story: he wanted turbo power/torque curve, but went sc.
He shoulda just gone turbo

Kinda seems like you're going down the same path

thank you for the constructive post
I'm on the same level of Friday night so bear with me as well. I'll definitely check out the thread thanks for that.

This will be my first FI setup on a factory N/A setup. My connections lead me to rotrex, if I had to source my own setup I would probably go turbo. I have friends I'm helping out that are helping me out. I'm 20 and in college, I wish I had all of the money for a combat wombat turbo setup. Saying that, I like the challenge of getting the most out of what I have.
my point of having a boost limiter valve would be to help in running two maps; one for ca91 and one for e85. With 91 I could run a pulley/charger to hit max boost early instead of waiting for the raising RPM associated with a SC. With e85 I could run all of it obviously but still take advantage of havin the boost come in early with an large charger/small pulley, right?

Last edited by GTurbo; 11-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurbo View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!



Hmmm well pending your response on the tires; that plan may or may not fall through



And here's my favorite picture of the car in its current form.
Awesome pic love red miatas. One question is this where you work? The wagon in the back what wing is on it. I have a wagon and want that now!!!!! I have never seen a wing like that on a wagon and it look amazing!!!!!!!!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #79
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 100
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Awesome pic love red miatas. One question is this where you work? The wagon in the back what wing is on it. I have a wagon and want that now!!!!! I have never seen a wing like that on a wagon and it look amazing!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I am just a server at Cheesecake Factory trying to get through college. I'll have to ask him next time I see him
GTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

That would be awesome thanks. Sorry for thread jacking I am still watching the build.lol
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.