Obama just pushed asthmatic kids over a cliff. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,323
Total Cats: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
But why do you so readily accept the bogusness?
2: Because when smart people with whom I otherwise agree distort facts to paint doomsday scenarios which are then proven to be unfounded, it dilutes the credibility of smart people everywhere.

Last edited by Joe Perez; 07-22-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Deleted reason #1
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
1: Because I have a finite capacity to get riled up and give a ****. I choose to reserve that energy for things which have a serious impact on my life.
Maybe you need a multivitamin.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,056
Total Cats: 103
Default

Should have gotten asthma.
jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,323
Total Cats: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Maybe you need a multivitamin.
You know what? You're right. #1 was a stupid reason.

Reason #2 is the thing that really bothers me. We (smart people) accuse the media, the government, environmentalists, bureaucracies, etc., of using selective perception and distorting reality all the time. It is uncouth to do the same in response.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,686
Total Cats: 559
Default

I have some stuff I bought called Gun Scrubber. The stuff is, quite litterally, pure CFC in a can. The propellant is the only thing in the can. Flashes off almost instantly, and will disolve any grease or oil. It will even remove the finish from cheap chinese SKS rifles.

How it's legal to sell, I don't know, but it is great stuff to use for cleaning guns, brake parts, carbs and a host of other things.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #26
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Sometimes I have to ask myself if **** like this is really happening or if this is a 3-year long lucid dream.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,323
Total Cats: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
I have some stuff I bought called Gun Scrubber.
(...)
How it's legal to sell, I don't know.



(directed towards Braineack and those who fall into line behind his first post in this thread):

Look, I'm not in support of every little nannying regulation that a liberal government puts into place. God knows that CARB can curl up into a ball and die for all I care.

But if you're going to attack these policies and agencies, don't use the same brain-dead tactics to form your argument that they used in the first place. Everybody loses.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

I didn't use tactics; i made a clever title.

here's my attack: how can the FDA approve something for ingestion, but somehow the EPA can urge them to overturn something making it more difficult more expensive to subdue an attack? I'm sure there are plenty worse things out there that hurt the ozone.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,323
Total Cats: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
here's my attack: how can the FDA approve something for ingestion, but somehow the EPA can urge them to overturn something making it more difficult more expensive to subdue an attack?
Simple: You (the EPA) find yourself in the position of not being compliant with an international treaty to which your country became a signatory 24 years ago.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #30
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

It is much more important kill children now to protect the ozone layer than to let children live just to have them have a marginally increased chance at skin cancer later. Makes government sense to me. I'm all for killing the children.

Albuterol doesn't work as well (which is why the hell they were using CFCs/the other formulation in the first place). It took 20 seconds on Google to find this:

Newly formulated HFA asthma inhalers are replacing CFC propelled inhalers due to a ban on CFC propellant. Many people are finding the new inhalers (ProAir especially) ineffective and harmful to their health. If your asthma has been getting worse after being forced off of a generic or brand CFC inhaler, you are not alone! Please see the petition link below, read, and sign it to get your voice heard!



http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...ers/index.html


Sounds good to me, hehehehe! :twirls mustache while grinning sadistically and thinking of children dying on playgrounds everywhere:

BTW Brakleen without CFCs doesn't work for ****.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I'm sure there are plenty worse things out there that hurt the ozone.
Like Buba bleeding his old R12 a/c system into the atmosphere. That accounts for probably 10,000 asthma inhalers.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #32
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Joe, how many days in a row would you let me borrow a dollar before you said, "Tough ****, pay for your own Cheetos."?

What's the appropriate response when the problem encroaches in minute degrees? Sure, we would all be pissed if they suddenly confiscated our guns tomorrow, but two dozen gradual and "reasonable" infringements over a 20 year period can produce the same result. Lots of minor annoyances can add up over time.

As an aside, apparently frogs will, in fact, jump out of a boiled pot of water, no matter how slowly the temperature is raised.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

I have a clarification question:

The propellant was banned, but it's not possible to get the same active ingredient, with an approved propellant?

If so, the problem is that you can't assume that the substitutes will work as well for everyone.
A 40c migraine med just got effectively banned by the FDA and none of the substitutes I've tried work anywhere near as well.

Last edited by JasonC SBB; 07-22-2011 at 08:20 PM.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #34
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

So when are we to find out that the CFC scare is just as valid as the DDT debacle?
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

uhoh.....we got olderguy revved up with his DDT peeve. lol. i've sat through this one before.

we have awoken a sleeping giant.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #36
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

To Joe:

Pseudoephedrine is controlled because it's used to make meth. Let's assume for the moment that it is morally correct to criminalize meth manufacturing.

The purpose of the laws controlling the sale of pseudoephedrine are:
1) make it harder for meth manufacturers to buy it
2) to make it easier to police for find said manufacturers

Now look at this
http://tribstar.com/local/x46868452/...ated-drug-laws

Gramma bought a 2nd box within a month, for her daughter and one for her husband (for a cold), and went over the limit. She got prosecuted, even though she did not use the meds to make meth.

The prosecutor said "she violated the law limiting the amount she was allowed to buy".

Here we have stupid prosecutors blindly enforcing a badly written law to the letter, instead of the intent of the law. This is but one form of tyranny.

One can classify laws into 2 types:
-Mala in Se and
-Mala Prohibita.
Mala in se means "immoral in itself" e.g. murder, rape
Mala prohibita means "illegal by statute" e.g. carrying >$10k in cash at an airport, and purchasing x grams of pseudoephedrine.

Most people are unaware of the distinction and blindly obey "the law" and worse, support bad laws. A simple example, is overtaking a tractor on a double yellow with excellent visibility and no cars in sight...


The creeping statism and autoritarianism of the government, is due to the boiling frog effect. Joe and everyone else don't see the creep as a problem.

Last edited by JasonC SBB; 07-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #37
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

I was diagnosed with Asthma as a child and I've been using that exact otc inhaler for years. Guess now I have to go out of my way and get a prescription now.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default



I hate humans so I approve! Good job commander in chief!
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #39
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
I was diagnosed with Asthma as a child and I've been using that exact otc inhaler for years. Guess now I have to go out of my way and get a prescription now.
No more $19.99 inhalers for you. You gotta pay your doctor to write a script, then pay a co-pay, then pay for the script. It suddenly became a lot more expensive for you to breathe.

Quote:
"if you like your doctor, you'll be able to keep your doctor; if you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan."
but you can't keep your life saving medicine, so you'll be seeing that doctor a lot more

Last edited by Braineack; 07-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
So when are we to find out that the CFC scare is just as valid as the DDT debacle?
Irony?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
Wilwood Dynapro/dynalite maintenance aidandj Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 37 09-28-2015 11:47 AM
Recommended Tire Temp for best friction thumpetto007 Race Prep 4 09-27-2015 06:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.