Town in CO bans cycling - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Want fries with that?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 2,023
Total Cats: -1
Default Town in CO bans cycling

rider384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Michael Copp, Black Hawk's city manager [...] admitted there had not been any accidents to prompt the ban, just concern over potential collisions between motor vehicles and bicycles on 19th-century streets that were designed for horses and carriages.
Nice! Excessive, intrusive, and paternalistic legislation designed to solve a nonexistent problem.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Imo its not that much of an intrusion from how it is worded people having jobs>than cyclists. cylists can still step off and walk past or through the town anyway.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

There's all kinds of individual liberties that have potentially negative effects on local economies, but that doesn't make it acceptable to ban them.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
Imo its not that much of an intrusion from how it is worded people having jobs>than cyclists. cylists can still step off and walk past or through the town anyway.
How would you feel if the same reasoning were used to ban convertibles or aftermarket turbos?

Freedom is something you can't have unless you are willing to give it to others.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Freedom got pwnt yet again.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Its a town of 100 people.... not sure it really counts for anything.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Big Bear Ca
Posts: 990
Total Cats: 8
Default

Genius on the towns part.

By creating this shitstorm the publicity they are receiving is HUGE. Who knows if they actually intended to keep this law or not, now everyone knows that this quaint little historic town now has a $100 max, and is catering to gambling.

Cha-ching!
dstn2bdoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Living in bike freak Portland OR I'm happy as hell to see a town go the opposite direction. They didn't ban bike riding in the entire town, it's a certain section with narrow streets. We have the opposite problem. The city's been taking away traffic lanes to accomodate the cyclists.

I'll be happy about sharing the roads with bicycles as soon as they pay the same licensing fees and road taxes I do with my car. Too many riders ignore traffic laws and exhibit the same "we have the right of way and will take all the time we want" attitude as pedestrians. Too many cyclists ride like they are daring you to hit them.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
Living in bike freak Portland OR I'm happy as hell to see a town go the opposite direction. They didn't ban bike riding in the entire town, it's a certain section with narrow streets. We have the opposite problem. The city's been taking away traffic lanes to accomodate the cyclists.

I'll be happy about sharing the roads with bicycles as soon as they pay the same licensing fees and road taxes I do with my car. Too many riders ignore traffic laws and exhibit the same "we have the right of way and will take all the time we want" attitude as pedestrians. Too many cyclists ride like they are daring you to hit them.
+1000000

******* seriously. Seattle has the exact same problem. Cyclists are given the rights of both a motor vehicle (when the ride on the street) and pedestrians (when they ride on the sidewalk). The problem is, they can change where they are riding at will and ignore the laws/rules of both roles. I probably see 10-15 red lights blown by bicycles every day on my way to work, and I have never once heard of a cop stopping and ticketing them. You also see them hop off of sidewalks onto busy streets, and then cut out into crosswalks to avoid stoplights.

I once had a cyclist yell at me to be more careful, that I could kill him with my car (he darted out and I almost hit him). I told him that was precisely why he should watch the **** out.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

The pro cyclists and the anti cyclists in CO are both BUSYBODIES. They want to pass laws that protect/favor one side or the other. Lost in this debate is the concept of freedom and personal responsibility, which are 2 sides of the same coinl.

http://www.laissez-fairerepublic.com/busybody.htm
Quote:
Degrees of "Busybodyism":

Hall monitor mentality (it starts in grammar school)

Busybodyism (people poking their nose in other peoples’ business)
Welfare-state “Liberalism” (running other peoples’ lives thru government dependency and bureaucratic regulations)

Fascism (more of the same with government regulating production through racial quotas, wage & price controls, etc.)

Naziism (government owns as well as controls various industries; race quotas; militarization; full National Socialism)

Hard-core socialism (communism as in North Korea, the former Soviet Union, Red China, and Cuber)

Orwellian “Ingsoc” (English Socialism as depicted in the novel 1984 by George Orwell)
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,187
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstn2bdoa View Post
Genius on the towns part.

By creating this shitstorm the publicity they are receiving is HUGE. Who knows if they actually intended to keep this law or not, now everyone knows that this quaint little historic town now has a $100 max, and is catering to gambling.

Cha-ching!

........This
Preluding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC SBB View Post
The pro cyclists and the anti cyclists in CO are both BUSYBODIES. They want to pass laws that protect/favor one side or the other. Lost in this debate is the concept of freedom and personal responsibility, which are 2 sides of the same coinl.

http://www.laissez-fairerepublic.com/busybody.htm
+1

When I lived closer to work, I rode my SS road bike for a while. But I planned out a route that avoided major intersections and fast streets with no sidewalks. I appreciated drivers that would give me an extra foot or two as they passed, but my assumption was always that I was responsible for my own safety.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Nice! Excessive, intrusive, and paternalistic legislation designed to solve a nonexistent problem.
America! **** Yeah!
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 50
Total Cats: 0
Default

Eh, I'm with stupid. While I hate laws getting passed that restrict our God given freedoms, at least it's one against stupid hippies on bikes. Unlike most of you, I live in the middle of nowhere(literally the sign says unincorporated and the next town over is called Rural) and I have to deal with these morons every day in the summer. All the dumb ***** from Chicago come up to vacation here in the summer and bring their faggy love of biking with them. They ride down the middle of the highway and never move. I got yelled at by some douche last week who was standing in the middle of the road by my house. If I had my way, Newton's law and Darwin's theory would come together real quick.

Just to specify one thing, I have nothing against Chicagoans or those that bike and have ******* manners. I have a bike but can only think of two reasons I would ever ride it.

1. I am out of beer and it's almost closing time at the liquor store AND no one's coming by with more. I own no cars. This would also make me a bum.

2. During the zombie apocalypse, thousands of zombies have blocked access to any means of motorized transportation and the bicycle is my only way of escape.
freakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
Living in bike freak Portland OR I'm happy as hell to see a town go the opposite direction. They didn't ban bike riding in the entire town, it's a certain section with narrow streets. We have the opposite problem. The city's been taking away traffic lanes to accomodate the cyclists.

I'll be happy about sharing the roads with bicycles as soon as they pay the same licensing fees and road taxes I do with my car. Too many riders ignore traffic laws and exhibit the same "we have the right of way and will take all the time we want" attitude as pedestrians. Too many cyclists ride like they are daring you to hit them.
Vancouver has removed lanes in major viaducts and bridges to accommodate cyclists. It's retarded. 90% of them are all no tax paying hippies.... why my tax dollars are going towards 50mil in bike lanes is beyond me.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #17
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

moot point technically my whole car is illegal.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid View Post
Eh, I'm with stupid. While I hate laws getting passed that restrict our God given freedoms, at least it's one against stupid hippies on bikes. Unlike most of you, I live in the middle of nowhere(literally the sign says unincorporated and the next town over is called Rural) and I have to deal with these morons every day in the summer. All the dumb ***** from Chicago come up to vacation here in the summer and bring their faggy love of biking with them. They ride down the middle of the highway and never move. I got yelled at by some douche last week who was standing in the middle of the road by my house. If I had my way, Newton's law and Darwin's theory would come together real quick.
Man I don't know where you live in WI, but that is very true where I grew up outside of Appleton. I don't know how many times I'd see a group of 5-10 riders up ahead that would not move over until I had come right up on them and dropped from the 55mph limit down to 20. I used to bike ~15 miles a day out there and I sure as hell got way over or stopped and moved into the ditch if something big was coming.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

I love the people who bike down back *** country roads, clearly this is where i like to have my fun in the Miata, slamming through some S-curves at 65-70MPH and turnign a corner to see two people on bikes going 3 MPH in the middle of the road is not a fun experience, been there a few times back home.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I wish they would day that here. Nothing pisses me off more than getting stuck behind Mr. Wannabelancearmstrong riding his bike in the middle of the ******* lane on a very heavy traffic 2 lane road with no good passing zones. I swear to god I used to get behind one every day. There are plenty of side roads to ride on your fucktards.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
Tire temp question tazswing Race Prep 9 10-01-2015 01:33 AM
ME221 Now has Autotune and Long Term Fuel Trim Tables Motorsport-Electronics ECUs and Tuning 0 09-05-2015 09:02 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.