2nd Issue with my China charger - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,614
Total Cats: 2
Default

No possibility that that c clip is in there right? WG still tightened up and all?
TonyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 175
Total Cats: 0
Default

fwiw, I emailed Dustin at emotors, asked if they recommend oil restrictions. Here is his reply:

"YES, DEFINITELY – WE WILL BE UPDATING OUR AUCTIONS TO INCLUDE THAT INFO – WE CURRENTLY DON’T CARRY THEM BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM – OVER OILING J"
Cpt_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #23
I EAT CUM
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Redneck, Texas
Posts: 1,218
Total Cats: -1
Default

huh, wow crazy how that works^^^^^^^^^^
Turbo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
!!! NOT CONFIRMED !!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 1
Default

The instructions that came with my Garrett (journal bearing) called for a restrictor, I've been using a 1/8 pop-rivet(with the nail part removed) in the oil supply line fitting as a restrictor for two years.
elderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

Ask him to explain exactly what over oil is. I bet he can't give you an scientific explanation. That's because there's no such thing as over oiling or over lubricating a bearing. AAMOF the less time a given unit of oil is actually inside the chra the better. If you must run a restrictor in a journal bearing turbo then there's either some kind of pressure build up in the oiling system or the seals are worn in the turbo.

I've read several times on the DSM forums that the eBay 16Gs aren't balanced even though they look like they are - and the turbine and compressor wheels are excessively heavy compared to a name brand turbo.

The instructions from Garrett? Because they're website says journal bearings do NOT need restrictors. AAMOF their engineers say that too.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
I EAT CUM
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Redneck, Texas
Posts: 1,218
Total Cats: -1
Default

Well everywhere I've read has talked about using a restrictor...especially with the egay turbo's. I've also been using the pop rivet.
Turbo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #27
!!! NOT CONFIRMED !!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 1
Default

m2cupcar,
I did'nt say the instructions were from "Garrett" I said the instructions that (came with my Garrett) the instructions were from the supplier.
elderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 175
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Ask him to explain exactly what over oil is. I bet he can't give you an scientific explanation. That's because there's no such thing as over oiling or over lubricating a bearing. AAMOF the less time a given unit of oil is actually inside the chra the better. If you must run a restrictor in a journal bearing turbo then there's either some kind of pressure build up in the oiling system or the seals are worn in the turbo.

I've read several times on the DSM forums that the eBay 16Gs aren't balanced even though they look like they are - and the turbine and compressor wheels are excessively heavy compared to a name brand turbo.

The instructions from Garrett? Because they're website says journal bearings do NOT need restrictors. AAMOF their engineers say that too.
I understand your argument, and cannot supply any evidence to the contrary. Everything pro-restrictor is anecdotal, but on that note I haven't heard anecdotal evidence of failures as a result of the restrictor.
Cpt_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

So I got this response from the seller.....

Quote:
That model GT28 should be the journal bearing type and in which case I would have no explanation as to what the noise could be, unless you were mistakenly sent a ball-bearing (of which we've stop producing) and those would be the bearings. As long as it works and makes boost with no smoke I would't worry, but if it gets to the point were you'd like to return it within 30days of original purchase I'll be sure to send you the correct type.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #30
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

that's a pretty cool reply from the vendor. from what you described to me earlier it sounds like you have a BB turbo. needs more video of you spinning it by hand....
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #31
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

The only reason I can see for a restrictor is to keep from blowing oil through the seals when the oil can't drain out fast enough and builds too much pressure in the bearing area.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

So if it is a ball bearing turbo and the problem was caused by too much oil pressure wouldn't you have oil blowing through the seals directly into the intake and exhaust? Got symptoms of that? Chalk it up to a piece of **** product then.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 69
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Ask him to explain exactly what over oil is. I bet he can't give you an scientific explanation. That's because there's no such thing as over oiling or over lubricating a bearing. AAMOF the less time a given unit of oil is actually inside the chra the better. If you must run a restrictor in a journal bearing turbo then there's either some kind of pressure build up in the oiling system or the seals are worn in the turbo.

I've read several times on the DSM forums that the eBay 16Gs aren't balanced even though they look like they are - and the turbine and compressor wheels are excessively heavy compared to a name brand turbo.

The instructions from Garrett? Because they're website says journal bearings do NOT need restrictors. AAMOF their engineers say that too.

I work with bearings everyday. Over lubrication is a leading cause of bearing failure.
urabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #34
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
So if it is a ball bearing turbo and the problem was caused by too much oil pressure wouldn't you have oil blowing through the seals directly into the intake and exhaust? Got symptoms of that? Chalk it up to a piece of **** product then.
I did notice some oil in the inlet when I removed the airfilter to check for shaft play. Haven't noticed anything from the exhaust though.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
that's a pretty cool reply from the vendor. from what you described to me earlier it sounds like you have a BB turbo. needs more video of you spinning it by hand....


I'll get a video tomorrow.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

No lateral shaft play could be bb. How does it spin right now if you spin it by hand? And you gotta wonder why they stopped selling the bb turbos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
I work with bearings everyday. Over lubrication is a leading cause of bearing failure.
Who do you build turbos for? Because two garrett engineers recently agreed (and so does Garrett officially) that journal bearing turbos don't need restrictors and would not over oil. I've yet to find any examples of a journal bearing turbo dying from over oiling. OTOH under oiling would seem far more capable of destroying a journal bearing turbo. As mentioned- if you're blowing oil past the seals, then there's an issue with getting oil out or the turbo has bad seals.

That said, please explain over oiling of a journal bearing turbo (and I'm not speaking of excessive pressure blowing oil past the seals).
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #37
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

So yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and return it. The noise is getting louder, sound slike some juiced up electric car driving by. I just hope that they send me something with the same specs.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

There is no such thing as too much lubricant. Trust me.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #39
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
There is no such thing as too much lubricant. Trust me.
Is that what she said?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

I was expecting "he"
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Bizarre connection issue? nick470 MEGAsquirt 1 09-30-2015 11:32 PM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.