300HP Miata budget build? - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #41
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,177
Total Cats: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata25psi View Post
If you are good with tools and know how to find deals on parts, a 300 whp na Miata can be had for less than 5k. Car included.
ugh
just stop posting
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #42
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata25psi View Post
If you are good with tools and know how to find deals on parts, a 300 whp na Miata can be had for less than 5k. Car included.
I take it ure speaking from experience?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #43
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,177
Total Cats: 2,579
Default

Nope just a butthead n00b spamming to make a manifold WTB thread
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata25psi View Post
If you are good with tools and know how to find deals on parts, a 300 whp na Miata can be had for less than 5k. Car included.
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

What do you plan on racing on? Hopes and dreams?



Attached Thumbnails
300HP Miata budget build?-9u4s2r.jpg  
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #46
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
Total Cats: 16
Default

Not to be an ***(whenever someone says that, it means they are being an ***) but 300whp on $5k isn't a crazy unobtainable feat. It's been done. I'm beating a dead horse and will be quiet now.
dvcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #47
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,177
Total Cats: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcn View Post
Not to be an ***(whenever someone says that, it means they are being an ***) but 300whp on $5k isn't a crazy unobtainable feat. It's been done. I'm beating a dead horse and will be quiet now.
I'm glad you at least know this.

The people that can make it happen are not the people that need to be told that it can be done. The people asking about it are the ones that cannot do it.

Does that make sense?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #48
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 2,769
Total Cats: 948
Default

You have to be insanely lucky on good deals to even come close to a reliable 300hp build.

It probably is possible, but it isn't easily conceivable to me that most could do it.

I need to stress the reliable aspect of that possibility too. You are entering built motor territory with 300 and that in itself eats up a **** ton of your budget.
Jeffbucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcn View Post
Not to be an ***(whenever someone says that, it means they are being an ***) but 300whp on $5k isn't a crazy unobtainable feat. It's been done. I'm beating a dead horse and will be quiet now.
Only if you steal the car. Like literally, punch the ignition switch with your ski mask on and go. Then $5k will get you to 300hp. Of course you still won't be able to effectively use it unless the stolen ride already had suspension, wheels, and tires capable of supporting 300hp.
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #50
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,177
Total Cats: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
You have to be insanely lucky on good deals to even come close to a reliable 300hp build.

It probably is possible, but it isn't easily conceivable to me that most could do it.

I need to stress the reliable aspect of that possibility too. You are entering built motor territory with 300 and that in itself eats up a **** ton of your budget.
he keeps ignoring all of this and telling the morons for the 100th time to aim for the stars because somehow his setup magically didn't splooge all over the road yet
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttedmiata View Post
Only if you steal the car. Like literally, punch the ignition switch with your ski mask on and go. Then $5k will get you to 300hp. Of course you still won't be able to effectively use it unless the stolen ride already had suspension, wheels, and tires capable of supporting 300hp.
I could do it. No promises on the engine or tranny lasting longer than the dyno pull. But I could do it. Thats find a ratty NA for 2 grand and fabricate. I would use a china 16g ($260), DIY PNP ($430), rx8 injectors ($200), make a log manifold using the stock header flange and a turbo flange cut off a free wrx takeoff catted uppipe ($40), cut and splice a godspeed wrx downpipe ($90), heater hose and fuel lines for the turbo and water feeds ($40), cx racing intercooler kit ($200), and ****, that would actually leave enough money to throw ebay rods ($250) in it and even new bearings ($120), and wait even a 3" exhaust all the way back ($300). Total $1,930. Will also need a wally 190 ($90), and a wideband, why not 14point7 ($140), which leaves $2840 to acquire a miata and a clutch. Totally doable, not easy in the slightest.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #52
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,177
Total Cats: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I could do it. No promises on the engine or tranny lasting longer than the dyno pull. But I could do it. Thats find a ratty NA for 2 grand and fabricate. I would use a china 16g ($260), DIY PNP ($430), rx8 injectors ($200), make a log manifold using the stock header flange and a turbo flange cut off a free wrx takeoff catted uppipe ($40), cut and splice a godspeed wrx downpipe ($90), heater hose and fuel lines for the turbo and water feeds ($40), cx racing intercooler kit ($200), and ****, that would actually leave enough money to throw ebay rods ($250) in it and even new bearings ($120), and wait even a 3" exhaust all the way back ($300). Total $1,930. Will also need a wally 190 ($90), and a wideband, why not 14point7 ($140), which leaves $2840 to acquire a miata and a clutch. Totally doable, not easy in the slightest.
so in typical Leafy fashion you post a bunch of hypothetical BS that you never personally did.

C'mon man. You're not a noob anymore, just stop.


If we're playing this retarded game,

I could build a 300whp miata for 3k.

Where's my cookie?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #53
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
so in typical Leafy fashion you post a bunch of BS
ftfy
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #54
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 889
Total Cats: 55
Default

If you're lucky you can find a mad tyte miata on CL with racelands and a badass pink tow strap with hood venting for only like what.... 3 to 5k these days?

****** *** tax. GL with your 300hp miata for 5k.
krissetsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #55
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I could do it. No promises on the engine or tranny lasting longer than the dyno pull. But I could do it. Thats find a ratty NA for 2 grand and fabricate. I would use a china 16g ($260), DIY PNP ($430), rx8 injectors ($200), make a log manifold using the stock header flange and a turbo flange cut off a free wrx takeoff catted uppipe ($40), cut and splice a godspeed wrx downpipe ($90), heater hose and fuel lines for the turbo and water feeds ($40), cx racing intercooler kit ($200), and ****, that would actually leave enough money to throw ebay rods ($250) in it and even new bearings ($120), and wait even a 3" exhaust all the way back ($300). Total $1,930. Will also need a wally 190 ($90), and a wideband, why not 14point7 ($140), which leaves $2840 to acquire a miata and a clutch. Totally doable, not easy in the slightest.
Sounds legit? *shrug*
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #56
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,196
Total Cats: 260
Default

I feel i should make one more decent post in this shitty thread.

There have been many of us who have made 220-240hp miatas for well under $3000. Including myself, see build thread(and other peoples build threads).

Start there, that may bring results.



I find myself searching this site for answers i need more and more. Only to find threads like these where some useful information could have been but because it's the first thing that comes up it's normally the regulars hazing the new guy for not searching. I'm not saying this is one of those threads, but it might be for some idiots. I end up searching through 3 or 4 threads i shouldn't have needed to in the end. /erats time is valuable
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #57
Junior Member
 
guttedmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I could do it. No promises on the engine or tranny lasting longer than the dyno pull.
Really!?! I could stab myself in the heart with a giant knife and not die......in the first 30 seconds. Still gonna die, so it's still a stupid idea! I'm kinda guessing the OP wants to drive the car around.

If the OP wants a reliable 300hp ride, it's gonna cost $4-5k, depending on the platform he starts with; which is an additional cost.
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttedmiata View Post
Really!?! I could stab myself in the heart with a giant knife and not die......in the first 30 seconds. Still gonna die, so it's still a stupid idea! I'm kinda guessing the OP wants to drive the car around.

If the OP wants a reliable 300hp ride, it's gonna cost $4-5k, depending on the platform he starts with; which is an additional cost.
If you actually read my whole post you'll notice I actually found enough money in the pretend budget for rods, so the engine will be fine. And honestly you can hit 300hp without breaking the 5 speed as long as you tune it to not make more than 250ftlbs.

And yes, thats a very hypothetical post, but the ebay 16g will be able to hit the numbers, we know the ghetto manifold with the stock flange already works because Dann (and GRM challenge team or two) have already made one like it. Nothing I said is impossible, is it the most optimal setup? No. Would a build thread by someone doing this get ridiculed on here? Yes, until they produced results. I might even have a car and willing owner to make a setup like this for, besides the engine internal bits.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #59
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,071
Total Cats: 253
Default

No one is more frugal and as patient than I am when it comes to finding the best deals on baller parts.

I blew past 5k a long time ago. I don't miss the days of wondering if my **** pile was going to hold together during my next drive. You want a nice car, get ready to spend the money. I can say that it is better to just spend the money.

OP is completely unrealistic.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #60
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,049
Total Cats: 4
Default

I fear this post will likely just fuel the fire, and maybe even worst, it may even give some validity to Leafy's stupid post...

BUT

300hp for $5k including the car is basically what I'm doing right meow...


$2400 POS miata - CHECK

$130 Garrett T3S60 - CHECK

Ebay piping, intercooler, etc. etc. - $250

Used FM Stage 1 clutch - $50

Spare Engine to build - $50

Engine re-build including Forged Rods - $600

Log manifold - $200

Home made DP and exhaust - $150

Enhanced MS2 - $700

ID1000s - $400

Fuel Pump - $100

Oil lines, various other crap - $xxx?


So that's about $5030 plus oil lines and other little odds and ends.

So about $5100 and on E85 I think I'll have a reliable 300hp (whp maybe?).



Anyway, 18psi is right, it can be done, but the people that CAN do it, don't need to ask how to do it. The people that NEED to ask, likely cannot do it, and probably shouldn't try....

Last edited by Efini~FC3S; 01-21-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling errorz
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM
96 montego blue nOOb from Milwaukee Squiblez Meet and Greet 1 09-23-2015 02:50 AM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
Obligatory "N00B" post! D_Breezy Meet and Greet 5 09-08-2015 06:37 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.