Step 1 done, only 41 left. Manifold Build - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #41
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 939
Total Cats: 0
Default

Looks great!
Certainly inspiring me to want to build another...

Are you planning on adding a brace underneath from the engine block up to the turbo flange?
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #42
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 399
Total Cats: 0
Default

Looks great man! wish i had the space, or a garage for that matter, for a welder.
teknikscian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #43
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis2004 View Post
There is a little thing I like to call "user error", look into it.
Quit with the pissing match! It is a know fact that TIG is the way to go for a Turbo manifold. I would like to cross post this thread to the Fabrication thread on Honda-Tech, it would be FUNNY.

I know from experience that if I am going to do anything, I am going to do it right!
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #44
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
stress can kill anything. HP means nothing.
Correct, but a by-product of Horsepower is often increased back pressure which causes even more havok at the insane turbo manifold temps.
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #45
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
Quit with the pissing match! It is a know fact that TIG is the way to go for a Turbo manifold. I would like to cross post this thread to the Fabrication thread on Honda-Tech, it would be FUNNY.

it would be funny because all the responses would be:
"****"
"gay"
"i like dick"
"suck me hard"
"omg, i want miata dick in my mouth"
"**** my mom's calling me, brb guys."
"omg, does that guy have a wife?! i wish I could talk to girls let alone marry one."
"SoCal rulez!"
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #46
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 858
Total Cats: 0
Default

I migged my manifold. Got about 5k on it. Hasn't cracked yet.

Also you forgot:
"CRX"
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #47
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
Correct, but a by-product of Horsepower is often increased back pressure which causes even more havok at the insane turbo manifold temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
Quit with the pissing match! It is a know fact that TIG is the way to go for a Turbo manifold. I would like to cross post this thread to the Fabrication thread on Honda-Tech, it would be FUNNY.

I know from experience that if I am going to do anything, I am going to do it right!
Oh noes. Please continue to grace our forum with your honda knowledge and do not get mad at us. We obviously are not equals as you have VTEX0r and better weldZ! Our simple forum lacks any knowledge of horsepower and backpressure :(

Mia, aside from this joker, it looks like your doing good and learning alot. Keep up the good work.
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #48
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Too Funny...

I was probably one of the pioneers (Working with Rick S and Danny G) in making over 300, 400 and 500hp with a Mazda Miata, swapping/mating a Turbo II Tranny to a Bp engine, installing an RX7 Turbo II diff into a Miata, using a Honda Intake manifold on a BP, and a Civic rad in a Miata. I've been around the Miata community for years and used to be known as 450hpMiata and owned Turbomiata.net website.

I have a 700hp Honda Drag Car, and my 2000 Mazda Miata with FM everything (Got it that way, and I am sure I will start changing a lot of the FM parts). I'm not really a big fan of Honda's, but I was having a very hard time finding sponsors for a Mazda Miata Drag Car, and the Honda was a lot easier.

I'm certainly not new to this ****. The only reason I mentioned the Honda-Tech forum is that their Welding/Fabrication forum often has absolute works of art manifolds posted, but also some real fugly stuff.

The poster get a for attemping this, but the welding choice and finish was what I commented on.
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #49
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,449
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
Quit with the pissing match! It is a know fact that TIG is the way to go for a Turbo manifold. I would like to cross post this thread to the Fabrication thread on Honda-Tech, it would be FUNNY.

I know from experience that if I am going to do anything, I am going to do it right!
Do an archive search of "mig manifold" and you'll find a number of threads where many of those people who you say make work of art manifolds state that a mig'd manifold can most definitely be made to stand up to the demands of a turbo application.

TIG is way out of the picture for the large majority of......everyone..... because of the sheer time it takes to learn to do it well. I gaurantee that someones first MIG welded manifold would hold up better than their first TIG welded manifold given that they have had the same amount of practice on both.
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #50
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

JB Weld FTW.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #51
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

I will give you that TIG is harder to learn and MIG is easier. MIG is also stronger than the Flux-Core welding. It is hard to get great looking penetration with a MIG. It usually comes out ugly when you add in more heat and wire.
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #52
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

I think you should all just arc weld your ****. With big fatty 3/8's rod at 150 amps with nothing but a pair of sunglasses and latex gloves.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #53
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
JB Weld FTW.
I love that stuff, just not for Turbo Manifolds
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #54
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

i decided i hate it for everything, acutally.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #55
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,449
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
I will give you that TIG is harder to learn and MIG is easier. MIG is also stronger than the Flux-Core welding. It is hard to get great looking penetration with a MIG. It usually comes out ugly when you add in more heat and wire.
Flux core welds will be more porous, I will agree with that. The fact that its his first manifold though, I'd say its something to be proud of.

In the future he can easily upgrade to MIG by just buying a new gun that can use gas and a bottle. The gas just won't run through the machine, but if you have a cart to put everything on it doesn't really matter.
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #56
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 0
Default

holy toledo...

yeah, i've done plent of searching. 9 times out of 10, 2 passes with flux core is plenty strong enough for mild steel. I'll let you know after a few track weekends.

Thanks for the compliments to those that gave them, and the encouragement to those that blazed the trail before me.
MiaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 244
Total Cats: 0
Default

Nice.

A question from the bleachers - it seems like having the 2 merge with 1 and 3 with 4 would make bottlenecks. Is the Sch40 big enough for 1.8L app that it's a nonissue? I guess no matter what it's gotta neck down from four pipes to one, just curious.

Please keep us posted on the durability. I go from complete DIY to complete BEGi kit about three times a day in my mind.
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #58
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

no bottleneck, floooooooooooooooooow!!!!!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #59
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
I will give you that TIG is harder to learn and MIG is easier. MIG is also stronger than the Flux-Core welding. It is hard to get great looking penetration with a MIG. It usually comes out ugly when you add in more heat and wire.
Mig is stronger then flux core? Really? This has got me interested
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #60
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 244
Total Cats: 0
Default

Sure, because with flux, you have the goo fizzing and oozing all over, and with MIG it's just plain ole steel.
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.