Turbo too small? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
it sounds like you just need a 1.8 vvt swap and nothing else
this.

if you want 140-150hp, buy a 1.8 VVT.



the SR20 T25 is not a fast spooling turbo on a 1.6L (really, nothing is)


here's the SR20 T25 on a 1.8L vs a 1.6l:





even something small like a GT2552 cant spool well on a 1.6L miata:




the cam profile prevents it.


1.6L turbo setups are ******* stupid. the 1.6L motor is complete dogshit. :P
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo too small?-80-miatadyno2_7e8e6d0b6de97249970e9ae39983357ae47c18db.jpg   Turbo too small?-80-blob_03177588c30e51b7876634d7caee8f32e0e72bba.png  

Last edited by Braineack; 04-16-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
williams805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goleta, Southern California
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 25
Default

I'd say go for it if you can fab all your own parts. Boost threshold will be low and vertically no lag in any normal street driving rpm range. However the fact that your asking instead of posting pics of your homemade manifold with the turbo having off tells me this my not be the way for you. It will end up costing you more to pay others to do your fab work than it would to buy quality used, known to work parts.... FM mani, down pipe, and 2554.

Also you will change the way the engine wants to run. It will probably start to sign off by about 5k and really be falling hard by 6. This means you've basically lowered your usable rpm by about 1000 rpm. You could probably tune a boost controller keep the boost up a bit in the upper rpms, but you will most likely be over spinning the turbo... So reliability becomes an issue.

Of course this is speculation as I've not seen the compressor map for your turbo in question. However I have seen and driven a K03 from a late 90's 1.8t Audi/VW on a 1.8 Miata. The car was a great street car at 5psi. But it wanted to be short shifted due to falling boost (and of course torque) past 6k. Which was fine because there was plenty more lower rpm torque to be found in the next gear. Kind of like a little 4 cylinder muscle car. 5 psi by 1800 rpm dropping to 4 at about 6k. Torque was plenty useable. It was to the right of the compressor map by about 6500rpm.

So if you want to do it and can fab your own parts, go for it. But know there will be limitations right out of the box. A used fm mani and a 2554 is a lot more suited to this engine though and will probably cost about the same.
williams805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK, South
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post



The 1.6L motor is complete dogshit
Why oh why didnt i put a 1.8 in before deciding to DIY a manifold. **** sake
sparkybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #24
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default 1.6 w/ TD-04 @ 10PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
this.

1.6L turbo setups are ******* stupid. the 1.6L motor is complete dogshit. :P
Hey, I resemble that remark! My 92 Miata w/ TD-04, HUGE intercooler, and Bipes APU work great -- no trick ECU or programmable stuff, this is just hard-wired and self-tuned. Boost goes 5-10PSI from ~3000 RPM to 7500 (red-line). Performance is acceptable, though we always want more. A 2007 BMW M3 got me but just barely. Spent $1,000 on the car (came turbo'd) and about $700 in fixing suspension and various other problems not relating to the engine.

Not sure what else I can do, supposedly I should be able to get another 4PSI out of this thing. I bought it running 5 PSI originally, tweaked it and now @ 10PSI. Drive it till it "pops" is my plan, then maybe upgrade. My setup is a band-aid style, but if it works, don't **** with it right?

"It's not what you have, it's how you use it"
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoOne View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! My 92 Miata w/ TD-04, HUGE intercooler, and Bipes APU work great -- no trick ECU or programmable stuff, this is just hard-wired and self-tuned. Boost goes 5-10PSI from ~3000 RPM to 7500 (red-line). Performance is acceptable, though we always want more. A 2007 BMW M3 got me but just barely. Spent $1,000 on the car (came turbo'd) and about $700 in fixing suspension and various other problems not relating to the engine.

Not sure what else I can do, supposedly I should be able to get another 4PSI out of this thing. I bought it running 5 PSI originally, tweaked it and now @ 10PSI. Drive it till it "pops" is my plan, then maybe upgrade. My setup is a band-aid style, but if it works, don't **** with it right?

"It's not what you have, it's how you use it"
Sorry to pee in your cheerios, but:
07 m3 runs low 13's at 109mph
You're not even getting close to that trap speed in a janky band aid 1.6 miata.
Like, not even in the same zip code in a race. He'd have to be short shifting the car or flat out just messing with you to lose.

Last edited by 18psi; 04-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
I was happy at 24 psi... for a week. Now I want 30.

--Ian
Yeah this happens...... Can confirm.....
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
DNA54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sardinia, Italy
Posts: 373
Total Cats: 49
Default

If you wanna know what can you do to an engine with a too small turbo, just look at the first post in my build thread: https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo...p-miata-79849/

tiny turbo in most cases means tiny wastegate port, and so creep. Lots of. And creep to 18 psi at 3000 rpm isn't cool, it simply makes a big hole in the hottest piston
buy a 2554, it's common, cheap and it spool very fast
DNA54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 200
Default

I couldn't imagine having to wait until 5k to get 10 psi. Good gawd. At 20 psi, I rarely rev past 5 k.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #29
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default not a track day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Sorry to pee in your cheerios, but:
07 m3 runs low 13's at 109mph
You're not even getting close to that trap speed in a janky band aid 1.6 miata.
Like, not even in the same zip code in a race. He'd have to be short shifting the car or flat out just messing with you to lose.
This was just good fun on the street with a friend. And I lost, not by much. I hit 1/4 mile at about 95-97 mph. I have oversized rear tires and was double clutching. Maybe I had the better lane that day. That's why we race in cars and not on paper.

Edit: It is an 04 M3, not an 07.

Last edited by SoLoOne; 04-30-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: update
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #30
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 473
Total Cats: 23
Default

Member since 2011 and these are your first two posts
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #31
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Even still, 95-97 vs 105-107 is a 10mph difference
Unless he wasn't racing or trying, its not even close

Theres a difference between a race and ricer fly by
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #32
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichhb View Post
Member since 2011 and these are your first two posts
Look for advice and find ridicule. Nice post. Wonder why I don't participate here. BTW: 2011 is when I bought this "janky" Miata.
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #33
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

The problem is that you're a ricer.
You think that just because you beat the driver of that car for whatever reason, that it's ok to go around and say that your 1.6 band aid miata can walk a m3.

that's nonsense.

we all know here what a band aid 1.6 miata runs and what a properly driven m3 runs. many here even have both cars.

I'll go race a bugatti veyron tomorrow in my son's big wheel, and come back and tell you guys "It's not what you have, it's how you use it"

herp derp

buying a 1.6 is strike 1. putting band aids on it is strike 2. talking about beating cars that trap 10mph more is strike 3.
3 strikes and your argument is invalid. have a nice day
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #34
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
1.6L turbo setups are ******* stupid. the 1.6L motor is complete dogshit. :P
I want to sig this so badly
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #35
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default you made my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
The problem is that you're a ricer.
You think that just because you beat the driver of that car for whatever reason, that it's ok to go around and say that your 1.6 band aid miata can walk a m3.

that's nonsense.

we all know here what a band aid 1.6 miata runs and what a properly driven m3 runs. many here even have both cars.

I'll go race a bugatti veyron tomorrow in my son's big wheel, and come back and tell you guys "It's not what you have, it's how you use it"

herp derp

buying a 1.6 is strike 1. putting band aids on it is strike 2. talking about beating cars that trap 10mph more is strike 3.
3 strikes and your argument is invalid. have a nice day
You read way more into the message than what I wrote. Again, wonder why I bother here. I bought the car as a toy. Never said I could walk an M3. I just shared an experience while looking for advice on where to go next. Hope the ridicule helps others, sure doesn't help to tell people everything they did wrong. But whatever gets you off.

Last edited by SoLoOne; 05-01-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: misspelling
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA54 View Post

tiny turbo in most cases means tiny wastegate port, and so creep. Lots of. And creep to 18 psi at 3000 rpm isn't cool...
That's not really true
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #37
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoOne View Post
You read way more into the message than what I wrote. Again, wonder why I bother here. I bought the car as a toy. Never said I could walk an M3. I just shared an experience while looking for advice on where to go next. Hope the ridicule helps others, sure doesn't help to tell people everything they did wrong. But whatever gets you off.
don't be so salty. its not that serious
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #38
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
That's not really true
Can you elaborate on this? Interested.
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #39
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Total Cats: -3
Default ahreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
don't be so salty. its not that serious
Yeah I can use a decent dose of calm the F down, I am good with what I have so far for the $$$. I don't have lots of money or much time and space to work on my toy. I just like hauling *** as quickly as I can.

[eating (salty) humble pie] 😋. Lol.
SoLoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #40
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoOne View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Interested.
there's no reason you cant run a small turbo at low boost.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A beginners DIY journey to ITB/Turbo wpapallo Meet and Greet 46 01-29-2017 03:21 AM
TD05 Turbo and Manifold for 1.6 Rshannon81 Miata parts for sale/trade 18 04-24-2016 12:10 AM
GM IAT settings for Tuner Studio mzmanny MEGAsquirt 0 04-14-2016 11:43 PM
Issues around 4000 rpm while in neutral jko MEGAsquirt 5 04-14-2016 04:28 PM
Garrett Turbo Windows95 Miata parts for sale/trade 8 04-13-2016 08:49 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.