Oil filter Cut away- Fram and Wix - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #61
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Welcome!

Now go start an intro thread...with pics of wife/girlfriend.


Ya'll look like some real gearheads...but we like data here. If Fram is helping keep the lights on, maybe they've sent you some ISO test data along with those checks...?

Last edited by gospeed81; 04-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #62
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Maybe normal WIX filters are at 25-40 microns. All FRAM filters are tested to ISO 4548-12 tests. Those tests require particle sizes in the 10-20 micron range to be valid. Millions of dollars of research has determined that 10-20 micron particles are most harmful to engine wear. That is why we only test to the ISO standard and readily posy of filter efficiency. When a manufacturer uses a larger particle size for testing and claims, it is so they can inflate the efficiency rating. Any filter is 99% efficient at filtering out bowling *****. BTW- Particles smaller than 10 microns cannot harm an engine bearing.
I refuse to belive that FRAM filters filter better than WIX. Nothing you say will change my mind.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #63
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

All this talk about flow versus filtration...

They are both important...and overall contaminant removal will be a function of the two. Please note that in my first link they are comparing a "percent removal over time."

You could have a filter that pulls out twice as much as a competitor, but if you're only seeing half the fluid flow then you're still on equal ground.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #64
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
6UL's, Mariner Blue NA?

Props to your (Or your trainers) taste in Miata's
It's a Montego Blue car with a Laguna Blue(ish) MAACO repaint due to Florida sunfading! It's doesn't look bad but it's certainly a clean driver vs a show car. It has a Torsen in it but roll up windows and no cruise...so somewhere it's been crafted by another lover!

My goal is to shake it down as a normally aspirated car til Fall since we are building an MZR type Ford Duratec with turbo to swap in a 99' Cobra Mustang for Greg at the moment and as I'm on the injured list with my bum shoulder and knee I'm a tad bit slower/disabled these days! Think modern SVO for the Cobra and do not mourn over the loss of the 4 valve V8!
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #65
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdve View Post
It's a Montego Blue car with a Laguna Blue(ish) MAACO repaint due to Florida sunfading! It's doesn't look bad but it's certainly a clean driver vs a show car. It has a Torsen in it but roll up windows and no cruise...so somewhere it's been crafted by another lover!

My goal is to shake it down as a normally aspirated car til Fall since we are building an MZR type Ford Duratec with turbo to swap in a 99' Cobra Mustang for Greg at the moment and as I'm on the injured list with my bum shoulder and knee I'm a tad bit slower/disabled these days! Think modern SVO for the Cobra and do not mourn over the loss of the 4 valve V8!
I'm going to need you to tone down the use of the exlamation point on all posts. The exclamation point should not be overused or you will water-down the effectiveness and conveyance of your excitement. Call me skeptical, but I think you intentially attempted to mislead us down a road of excitement with your over-use of exclamation, and I don't appreciate it. In the future, please type with a little more respect.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #66
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Welcome!

Now go start an intro thread...with pics of wife/girlfriend.


Ya'll look like some real gearheads...but we like data here. If Fram is helping keep the lights on, maybe they've sent you some ISO test data along with those checks...?
I think Jay was just showing you we're the real deal brick and mortar like.
If we need to get you guys into the lab for a tour because the videos are too much eye candy for you and not enough data just talk to Jay. We can always back up what we say. Jay has been with our brands since 1992 starting our as a spark plug test engineer for our Autolite division.

FWIW, when I see people ABSOLUTELY convinced that X brand is better than Y brand I usually say "Good Grief" because many manufacturers do not make their own brands anymore and outsource to our Champlabs division or Fram.

I suggest just asking Jay, (respectfully) to provide the information you seek
and if he has it and is allowed he'll speak! (Exclamations edited and used for emphasis.)
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #67
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Okay, you've got my interest now. Where are your labs located?
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #68
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdve View Post
I think Jay was just showing you we're the real deal brick and mortar like.
If we need to get you guys into the lab for a tour because the videos are too much eye candy for you and not enough data just talk to Jay. We can always back up what we say. Jay has been with our brands since 1992 starting our as a spark plug test engineer for our Autolite division.

FWIW, when I see people ABSOLUTELY convinced that X brand is better than Y brand I usually say "Good Grief" because many manufacturers do not make their own brands anymore and outsource to our Champlabs division or Fram.

I suggest just asking Jay, (respectfully) to provide the information you seek
and if he has it and is allowed he'll speak! (Exclamations edited and used for emphasis.)
Thanks,
That's better.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Okay, you've got my interest now. Where are your labs located?
Our filtration lab is headquarted in Perrysburg, OH.
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #70
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Okay, I know we have a lot of people from Ohio on here. One of you yahoo's have to take him up on this offer.

Gonna go hit up the Ohio thread too.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #71
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Okay, I know we have a lot of people from Ohio on here. One of you yahoo's have to take him up on this offer.

Gonna go hit up the Ohio thread too.
Just hit up Jay if you are interested. Tell the Detroit guys too.
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #72
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

holy ---- turbo AWD S10!!!!
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #73
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
6UL's, Mariner Blue NA?

Props to your (Or your trainers) taste in Miata's
u blind.

Laguna Blue and TR Motorsports C1M
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
u blind.

Laguna Blue and TR Motorsports C1M
I can never tell the difference between those two blues.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #75
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

I don't know what year, but didn't the R-package have a torsen and crank windows w/o cruise? I also think it was blue, at least in '94.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #76
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
I don't know what year, but didn't the R-package have a torsen and crank windows w/o cruise? I also think it was blue, at least in '94.
I don't think it's an "R" because it would have an "M" on the tach that year and other badging. Insurance agent told me the VIN comes back as an "R", but once you make the car right with boost and suspension they're all R Models or more. I hated to help take us all off topic but since we were talking about the car a little bit figured one more wouldn't hurt.
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #77
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

You won't find another forum that has topics that go off topic as fast and as far-ranging as here. It's partly what makes it so enjoyable.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #78
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
You won't find another forum that has topics that go off topic as fast and as far-ranging as here. It's partly what makes it so enjoyable.
Popcorn group buy. Well I certainly hope you dudes will chip in with the good advice when Jay and I break down the Miata this Fall for turbo installation. I've been reading up a little bit and I only need to trap about 105. I'll be happy for life at 220-230 hp, (figure that's what I'll need) with a car that's already more fun to drive than my wife's Z28. My goal is to be able to keep up with Motorking's 04' CTS-V. This is my 1st Miata and after all my buddies, (except Jay), saying "why the chick car dude?", I think it will do well to have fun with them next year.
superdve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #79
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

All you need to beat him using his own weapons.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #80
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

so you guys gonna run autolite plugs in that miata?













Attached Images
 

Last edited by y8s; 04-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
K&N Intake Filter nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-28-2015 09:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.