Car aero development - Page 6 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #101
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

They arent stock signal housings. They're clear lens with a black tint backing plate. they also have reflectors to help the lights really shine. Sorry im taking so long to upload pics. I've been drowned in school work. I'll try to get em up as quickly as im able to
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #102
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

I'm interested in seeing how they throw light out also. I wouldn't expect any sort of cutoff, there isn't much of a parabola and certainly nothing to make any sort of beam cut.

It actually is factual, the higher you go in the light color spectrum the less light is actually put out. Don't understand why honda ricers can't seem to understand that purple and red headlights are pretty much worthless..

Here is a really good writeup on color temp vs lumen of light output: HID color temperature - choose your side - WheelsBD.com

4300k Lights, which OEMs use output 3200 Lumens. Thats the most light output from any HID kit you can buy in 35 watt.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #103
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
I'm interested in seeing how they throw light out also. I wouldn't expect any sort of cutoff, there isn't much of a parabola and certainly nothing to make any sort of beam cut.

It actually is factual, the higher you go in the light color spectrum the less light is actually put out. Don't understand why honda ricers can't seem to understand that purple and red headlights are pretty much worthless..

Here is a really good writeup on color temp vs lumen of light output: HID color temperature - choose your side - WheelsBD.com

4300k Lights, which OEMs use output 3200 Lumens. Thats the most light output from any HID kit you can buy in 35 watt.
Thansks for the detailed explanation. That really did clear some things up for me. I wouldve had pics today if it wasnt for this whole build **** that I randomly started a few months ago. I actually need to put the lights back on the car if im to snap any sort of pictures. The miata is all over the place right now haha.

Last edited by Sam Amporful; 08-24-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #104
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Not a problem.

I'm still curious what kind of light pattern they'll produce, might not be very pretty but likely good enough for your needs. Thats what counts.

Honestly I'm considering finding some small HID OEM Projectors and mounting them inside some clear signal lens... Small side project, might start a thread if it works well.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #105
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 137
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Not a problem.

I'm still curious what kind of light pattern they'll produce, might not be very pretty but likely good enough for your needs. Thats what counts.

Honestly I'm considering finding some small HID OEM Projectors and mounting them inside some clear signal lens... Small side project, might start a thread if it works well.
This is what I'm thinking. Honestly our cars are so low to the ground as long as there is some kind of cut-off the light output pattern really doesn't matter all that much... I mean, who is really going to get blinded by the headlight's from a Miata? More likely a turtle than another motorist. My friend who has HIDs in non-projector housings on his lifted Jeep Cherokee on the other hand... that upsets quite a number of people. I might have to make the investment and try this out some time soon, I'm curious to see how they do for myself. A write-up on how you retrofitted and wired everything would be a HUGE help!
Tim Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #106
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: melbourne aus
Posts: 450
Total Cats: 40
Default

nice work, love what you have done.
lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #107
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: south texas
Posts: 1,419
Total Cats: 9
Default

well i have the conversion headlamps in the factory flip housings and i had to unhook motors and aim the headlights down to keep from blinding people once i switched to hid's. although when i had high watt halogens in there they were fine. the pattern with the hid's are high giant blobs. only thing that might be affecting mine is the fact that the hid's are dual beam (halogen hi-beam) and they sit sideways in the housing. hid/halogen are side by side intead of above and below. can't see why else the pattern would change between halogen and hid. i was thinking of trying the setup above to get around this problem.
spoolin2bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #108
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Broughton View Post
Oh, and I started the aero thread on M.net. You're welcome.
Haha you know that diffuser on the miata(pg 12) that coolcatracing is talking about thats painted black now? Guess where that diffuser is now lol. That guy is a good friend of mine. Anyways the HID install is pretty straightforward. all you do is uninstall the sealed beam flipup headlights and with an HID kit they should give you wires with metal tabs at the end. These are replaced into the connector for the sealed beam light. One is for positive, negative, and hi-beam terminal. you really just plug em in. I sealed the HIDs to the signal housing using screws in the same fashion as the signal housings are placed in the bumper. I will do a pictoral type writeup once I go back home
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #109
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

I went home this past weekend and decided to mount my oilcooler like this.
Name:  IMG_4778.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  IMG_4777.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  84.3 KB
Still havent got the rest of the APR aero on the car, but im gonna be finishing up my job with these over the next week
Name:  IMG_4784.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  155.9 KB
Excuse the dirty carpet.
Heres a sexy pic of a friends car to make up for it
Name:  5320_135440567168_515707168_2449550.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  5320_135440577168_515707168_2449552.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.4 KB

Last edited by Sam Amporful; 09-21-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #110
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
rccote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,595
Total Cats: 17
Default

More details on that NB. It's beautiful.
rccote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #111
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

400whp , 245 tires, decent downforce, a very fast racecar. Just a way to sum it up. This guy also has a race prepped elise, two more miatas, and an s15silvia spec-R. Thats his 700whp capable R33-GTR in the background too. Hes livin the life

Last edited by Sam Amporful; 09-22-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #112
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: melbourne aus
Posts: 450
Total Cats: 40
Default

That is some decent aero. I might pinch your idea for the oil cooler. I have been trying to find a decent place to locate it.
lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #113
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 292
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Amporful View Post
Haha you know that diffuser on the miata(pg 12) that coolcatracing is talking about thats painted black now? Guess where that diffuser is now lol. That guy is a good friend of mine. Anyways the HID install is pretty straightforward. all you do is uninstall the sealed beam flipup headlights and with an HID kit they should give you wires with metal tabs at the end. These are replaced into the connector for the sealed beam light. One is for positive, negative, and hi-beam terminal. you really just plug em in. I sealed the HIDs to the signal housing using screws in the same fashion as the signal housings are placed in the bumper. I will do a pictoral type writeup once I go back home
did you gut your pop ups and take out the motors now that you dont need them?
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #114
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post
did you gut your pop ups and take out the motors now that you dont need them?
They are out but when I work on the car and the situation calls for me to get in the space under the flipups I just plug em back in.
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #115
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Amporful View Post
400whp , 245 tires, decent downforce, a very fast racecar. Just a way to sum it up. This guy also has a race prepped elise, two more miatas, and an s15silvia spec-R. Thats his 700whp capable R33-GTR in the background too. Hes livin the life
Looks like grid offroad 16x8s on there?
superslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #116
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

What's the tire setup on that car (245/??/??)? Cut fenders?

Where's the headlight pics? Really wanna see that.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #117
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslow View Post
Looks like grid offroad 16x8s on there?
They are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
What's the tire setup on that car (245/??/??)? Cut fenders?

Where's the headlight pics? Really wanna see that.
I think they're 245/45/15s but im not positive. Of course the fenders are cut lol, but my god every time I go home I forget to snap some night time pics. I'll def. do it next trip. I give my word this time around
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #118
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Going to make something to channel the air to that oil cooler?

I also want to see the light output. Sucks having a car so low, hard to put light on the road and aim it effectively.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #119
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 826
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Going to make something to channel the air to that oil cooler?

I also want to see the light output. Sucks having a car so low, hard to put light on the road and aim it effectively.

I could and considered it, but I dont have to necessarily. If I find out that my oil is getting too hot I will, but otherwise it shouldnt really be priority. Where the cooler is mounted isn't paneled like the rest of the surroundings of it. Since its no longer paneled for air to guide itslef past that area and into the intercooler, the air moving around that space should direct itself upward through the oilcooler. Its the same concept that radiator shrouds hold to, but im going the other way around and unshrouding it.

I will try my best to remember to get pics of the light output next time im at the house since a good amount want to see it

Last edited by Sam Amporful; 09-24-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Sam Amporful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #120
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 292
Total Cats: 0
Default

those HIDs.......did you buy the kit already coming in the turn signals, or did you just buy the bulbs and put them in there?

i looked for a set, but couldnt find any
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
Squiblez 1996 Montego blue Squiblez Build Threads 2 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM


Tags
aero

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.