Dyno-Re-tune results - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #61
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdrftna View Post
im paying $95 for a 5 gal pale. So like $18-$19 a gallon.

yeah i agree that i need more low/mid power. When i built the motor i didnt think it would be an issue. But after my 1st event i realized that i was wrong. I dont wanna be shifting all the time to keep it in the power band. This is why i have the nitrous coming to give it a big boost down low.
I seen that, that's what a lot of the pros are doing.
I have no idea how to tune nitrous with turbo but I actually had the set up for it. Never tried running it I wanted a progressive controller. Nitrous is amazing for building boost though


When do you think the new setup will be ready and we can see some sexy plots?
Attached Thumbnails
Dyno-Re-tune results-c360_2012-09-20-19-31-15_zps881972ab.jpg  
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cromwell CT
Posts: 1,109
Total Cats: 48
Default

Well i went for a test drive with the nitrous today. 45 shot, running a bit rich, im not sure if i should mess with it, could be the hot and humid weather. Also my boost seemed a little low, this may be due to less load then dyno? or weather. Im shutting the nitrous off at 15psi, the tank pressure was a little low 750psi. I NEED A BOTTLE HEATER.
Attached Thumbnails
Dyno-Re-tune results-0001f0.jpg  
ctdrftna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #63
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 109
Default

750 is indeed too low.

The safest and fastest way to heat a bottle is to put a gauge on the bottle with a cap on the outlet. You will be able to turn the bottle on and get a pressure reading. You will need some hot water and a bucket.
  1. Heat some water in a kettle.
  2. Put your bottle into a bucket.
  3. With gauge attached and outlet capped, open bottle
  4. Pour hot water over bottle and into bucket.
  5. Watch your gauge. When you get to the desired pressure, pull the bottle out of the bucket.
  6. Reinstall bottle into car and you are ready.
The pressure will last long enough to use in testing, joy riding, or competition.

Have fun!
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #64
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
750 is indeed too low.

The safest and fastest way to heat a bottle is to put a gauge on the bottle with a cap on the outlet. You will be able to turn the bottle on and get a pressure reading. You will need some hot water and a bucket.
  1. Heat some water in a kettle.
  2. Put your bottle into a bucket.
  3. With gauge attached and outlet capped, open bottle
  4. Pour hot water over bottle and into bucket.
  5. Watch your gauge. When you get to the desired pressure, pull the bottle out of the bucket.
  6. Reinstall bottle into car and you are ready.
The pressure will last long enough to use in testing, joy riding, or competition.

Have fun!
Just put a torch to the damn bottle.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #65
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impuls View Post
Just put a torch to the damn bottle.
I am not going to give you a negative prop for that, but you deserve it.

I know somebody that has permanent nerve damage from a bottle that exploded from that kind of practice. People do not use torches to heat bottles anymore if they have any kind of sense.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
I am not going to give you a negative prop for that, but you deserve it.

I know somebody that has permanent nerve damage from a bottle that exploded from that kind of practice. People do not use torches to heat bottles anymore if they have any kind of sense.
I don't really care about props, thank you though. I am l sorry about your friend though, that really does suck but people have been doing it for years and you can't say that people don't because they do, it's cheap and it works.

In all seriousness though, an electric bottle blanket works a bit expensive though.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #67
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 109
Default

A lot of people smoke meth too.

People use this forum to get tips on quality and safe practices. Your comment is very irresponsible.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #68
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Can you share some more details about your nitrous setup? I'm thinking about trying it as well.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #69
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cromwell CT
Posts: 1,109
Total Cats: 48
Default

Its the Zex Turbo Wet kit.

Come with everything a standard wet kit for EFI comes with, but adds in a boost sensing deactivation switch.

So it runs a power and ground for the solenoids, and taps into you TPS signal wire. So you program the solenoid box to trigger at WOT and then adjust the Boost switch to deactivate at what ever boost you want. Mine is set to 15psi.

If you wanted to add in another safety feature. You could use a RPM window switch in the TPS line so you could only activate above 3000rpm @ WOT and under a specified PSI



AND FOR PEOPLE WANTING ACTION SHOTS !!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Dyno-Re-tune results-1040556_431064823667405_720294370_o_zps167416b9.jpg  
ctdrftna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Hittin' Boost & Cones
iTrader: (2)
 
240_to_miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
Posts: 2,572
Total Cats: 11
Default

Is that LRP last weekend?
240_to_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #71
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cromwell CT
Posts: 1,109
Total Cats: 48
Default

yeah
ctdrftna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #72
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdrftna View Post
Its the Zex Turbo Wet kit.

Come with everything a standard wet kit for EFI comes with, but adds in a boost sensing deactivation switch.

So it runs a power and ground for the solenoids, and taps into you TPS signal wire. So you program the solenoid box to trigger at WOT and then adjust the Boost switch to deactivate at what ever boost you want. Mine is set to 15psi.

If you wanted to add in another safety feature. You could use a RPM window switch in the TPS line so you could only activate above 3000rpm @ WOT and under a specified PSI

Are you spraying in first or during burnouts? I'm a retard and like to free rev, can you set the boost switch for a range like 2-15 psi rather than just upper limit of 15? How long is a bottle lasting you?

I'm really interested in how it's changed your timing map as well.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cromwell CT
Posts: 1,109
Total Cats: 48
Default

only went through half a bottle at my last event, maybe 12-14 runs. But its only on for short bursts. I wouldnt free rev with nitrous. The setup only activates when it sees WOT and under set boost. As i said before the best would be to use a RPM window switch inline if the TPS wire to let it only activate higher than 3000rpm at WOT and under a boost pressure
ctdrftna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdrftna View Post
only went through half a bottle at my last event, maybe 12-14 runs. But its only on for short bursts. I wouldnt free rev with nitrous. The setup only activates when it sees WOT and under set boost. As i said before the best would be to use a RPM window switch inline if the TPS wire to let it only activate higher than 3000rpm at WOT and under a boost pressure
And probably add a master arming switch too.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #75
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cromwell CT
Posts: 1,109
Total Cats: 48
Default

Yeah well that comes with the kit. I would hope he would understand that.
ctdrftna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #76
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

He doesnt seem to since he asked about turning it off somehow to free rev.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #77
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 1,038
Total Cats: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impuls View Post
Just put a torch to the damn bottle.
Most tracks will and should kick your *** out if you get caught taking part in this type of stupidity.

If I were at an event and you were paddocked next to me I would ask you, very politely, once to either stop, or kill yourself far enough from me that I wouldn't have to clean your remains off me or my car. The second time I had to ask we would have serious issues.

You are playing with a bomb when you do this stupid crap. Are you capable of middle school math? Typical Nitrous bottle pressures hover around 1100 PSI. Go look at a 10lb Nitrous bottle and think for just a few moments about the MASSIVE amount of potential energy stored in that bottle. So then you are going to weaken the vessel that is containing that pressure by applying a massive amount of localized heat?

If you can't afford to do it right....you can't afford to do it.


Here are a few pics that show the explosive force of a nitrous bottle





Here are a couple pics of the setup on my E46 M3. Two stages, two bottle heaters and two bottle openers.






Attached Thumbnails
Dyno-Re-tune results-bradspics032.jpg   Dyno-Re-tune results-bradspics036.jpg   Dyno-Re-tune results-63970_1770175092918_1195461621_2089412_1623914_n.jpg   Dyno-Re-tune results-pc120690.jpg   Dyno-Re-tune results-163031_1830523801598_1195461621_2225898_5581359_n-1_zps67a544d1.jpg  

Dyno-Re-tune results-pc120696.jpg  
TNTUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
Here are a few pics that show the explosive force of a nitrous bottle




[/URL]
Do note, that is not an explosion with a flame, thats the rapidly expanding gasses that breached the pressure vessel, because as we all know, N2O isnt flammable its just an oxidizer.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #79
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 1,038
Total Cats: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Do note, that is not an explosion with a flame, thats the rapidly expanding gasses that breached the pressure vessel, because as we all know, N2O isnt flammable its just an oxidizer.
Obvious post is obvious.
TNTUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
Here are a couple pics of the setup on my E46 M3. Two stages, two bottle heaters and two bottle openers.






Wowzer! That looks fun.

I am building a hybrid Wilson Manifold/NOS system with poly lines. So much easier than hard lines to service.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
VE values too low? compuw22c MEGAsquirt 4 09-12-2015 08:42 PM
Compression test results Colipto General Miata Chat 3 09-11-2015 02:44 PM
Obligatory "N00B" post! D_Breezy Meet and Greet 5 09-08-2015 06:37 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.