Any gym rats here? - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #81
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataspeed2005 View Post
weak
I'm scrawny 182lb-er. I've steered clear of pinning, i have no shame.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #82
Senior Member
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: salem ark
Posts: 563
Total Cats: -1
Default

dude i already know about joint pain i deal with it part of life only pussies cry about joint pain. i've seen a 62 yearold man inclining 495lb i also know about mature muscle growth and know just what that potentail holds for me down the road to be able to bench 5 plus.
you can't buy streagth and size you have to earn it if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
as for asking my girl how your stamia is when i get a chance i'll see just what your mom's point of view on it is
browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #83
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Only pussies cry about joint pain, but only dumbasses put themselves in a position to create joint pain in the first place. Look at me, I can bench 500lbs, but I scream every time I lift a bag of dog food the wrong way and my shoulder rotator cuff binds. Yeah, let me have that! There is a point between being fit and strong, and overdoing it. I see a lot of people overdoing it.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #84
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Only pussies cry about joint pain, but only dumbasses put themselves in a position to create joint pain in the first place. Look at me, I can bench 500lbs, but I scream every time I lift a bag of dog food the wrong way and my shoulder rotator cuff binds. Yeah, let me have that! There is a point between being fit and strong, and overdoing it. I see a lot of people overdoing it.
my point exactly, i stopped caring to hurt myself long ago. last time i really worked out i was still a college athlete, december 8th year 2000(car accident..most of my issues). people used to say,"how much can you bench?" i'd tell them i didn't know, but i end my workout with 2 sets of 245, don't even remember the reps, maybe 6. best weight excercises...deadlifts and dips with weight on your ankles. best way to really work out...natural things like real sports(not golf or curling) or working a loading dock, carrying drywall.
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #85
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

lol, i just pictured the sight of all these muscle bound miata drivers hanging out
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #86
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
lol, i just pictured the sight of all these muscle bound miata drivers hanging out
With backpack cat carriers

I agree, hard manual labor is the ultimate workout. I used to be about 160lbs when I was staying active at work, and was deceptively strong from carrying ridiculously heavy stuff like rock board and drywall, shoveling in a ditch with gravel, carrying a house worth of lumber, carrying long sections of double walled 12''-16'' pvc pipe, ect. I don't see the point in being a muscle head that can't turn his head more than 20 degrees and moves like a zombie. I'd much rather be in shape and fit with some muscle, but not look like a roid head.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #87
Senior Member
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: salem ark
Posts: 563
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Only pussies cry about joint pain, but only dumbasses put themselves in a position to create joint pain in the first place. Look at me, I can bench 500lbs, but I scream every time I lift a bag of dog food the wrong way and my shoulder rotator cuff binds. Yeah, let me have that! There is a point between being fit and strong, and overdoing it. I see a lot of people overdoing it.
oh hell it only hurts in the morning other than that mostly fine first half hour is a bitch though.
browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #88
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

concrete is a ************ regardless after working at publishers for almost 6yrs now ive learned that **** wears you down pretty fast by the end of the day. I honestly think it has done more to hurt me than all my years of weight training put together.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #89
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I guess that is why at 23 I have the back, knees and shoulders of a 50 year old. Honestly, concrete isn't as bad as some things (gravel). At least concrete can flow a little. Large #4 gravel, a shovel and a ditch makes for a ******* horrible day!
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #90
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 808
Total Cats: 3
Default

For me, keeping a log of everything helped the most. I'd eat 6x a day and more than my weight in grams of protein. If you do that with a good amount of cardio, you can gain and lose fat at the same time. It's much easier when starting out. Cardio is very important in muscle growth since it increases the flow of blood to your muscles. Check out onlinefitnesslog.com to track everything. Youlll be amazed where all your calories come from.
TrickerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #91
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
I guess that is why at 23 I have the back, knees and shoulders of a 50 year old. Honestly, concrete isn't as bad as some things (gravel). At least concrete can flow a little. Large #4 gravel, a shovel and a ditch makes for a ******* horrible day!
nah man im not talking about pouring concrete but walking on it all damn day. i have shoveled plenty of rock in my day, dug many a ditch and post hole as well. 26 now and still going strong some people just having staying power hell my great grandpa was still hamering out steel on his forge(old school blacksmith) at the age of 86 so i have abit of genetics on my end to work with. Plus i dont drink at home or go out much so i probly lead abit of a healthier life than most in that respect as well. I have seen many a contruction worker, and fellow worker at the printing press ride from work to the liquor store and down a 30 pack before the next day that kinda **** wears on you after a while as well.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #92
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
nah man im not talking about pouring concrete but walking on it all damn day. i have shoveled plenty of rock in my day, dug many a ditch and post hole as well. 26 now and still going strong some people just having staying power hell my great grandpa was still hamering out steel on his forge(old school blacksmith) at the age of 86 so i have abit of genetics on my end to work with. Plus i dont drink at home or go out much so i probly lead abit of a healthier life than most in that respect as well. I have seen many a contruction worker, and fellow worker at the printing press ride from work to the liquor store and down a 30 pack before the next day that kinda **** wears on you after a while as well.
I was wondering what you were doing pouring concrete working at a publisher Walking/jogging on it will mess your knees up. Pretty much everybody I know who jogs regularly on concrete has screwed up knees. Any time I jog, I'm sure to jog beside the path in the grass. A little less shock anyway.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #93
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
I was wondering what you were doing pouring concrete working at a publisher Walking/jogging on it will mess your knees up. Pretty much everybody I know who jogs regularly on concrete has screwed up knees. Any time I jog, I'm sure to jog beside the path in the grass. A little less shock anyway.
If you don't want to mess up your knees then just don't land on your heels. I used to always have pain in my knees after running. I switched to landing midfoot or on the ***** of my feet and never have pain anymore. Running that way, your calves and thighs soak up the impact.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #94
Senior Member
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: salem ark
Posts: 563
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
nah man im not talking about pouring concrete but walking on it all damn day. i have shoveled plenty of rock in my day, dug many a ditch and post hole as well. 26 now and still going strong some people just having staying power hell my great grandpa was still hamering out steel on his forge(old school blacksmith) at the age of 86 so i have abit of genetics on my end to work with. Plus i dont drink at home or go out much so i probly lead abit of a healthier life than most in that respect as well. I have seen many a contruction worker, and fellow worker at the printing press ride from work to the liquor store and down a 30 pack before the next day that kinda **** wears on you after a while as well.
um hate to break it to you guys but your still pretty young wait till your 30s roll around you haven't seen nothing yet. i used to be able to party all night and still chug right along the next day. well those days are over. all i can say is enjoy it while it last and take nothing for granted.
browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #95
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
If you don't want to mess up your knees then just don't land on your heels. I used to always have pain in my knees after running. I switched to landing midfoot or on the ***** of my feet and never have pain anymore. Running that way, your calves and thighs soak up the impact.
I'm trying to imagine in my head how you would do that, and I can only imagine a really goofy looking run. Next time I'm out for a jog/walk I will see if I can figure out how to do that and see if I agree. When I started jogging again recently to help drop a few pounds I could really tell I had gained some weight. Previously when I used to run a lot I was still only about 160lbs. Now at 185ish running feels very tough on my knees with the extra weight, I went from pretty graceful and soft to running like Godzilla. I can feel th shock all the way up my body and it even makes my eyes giggle in their sockets. I never would have expected this 20-25 extra pounds to make this much difference in nearly every aspect of life. All the more reason it needs to go.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #96
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

how in hell do you run without your heels touching down? sounds like a special olympics style of running or stomping
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #97
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning View Post
um hate to break it to you guys but your still pretty young wait till your 30s roll around you haven't seen nothing yet. i used to be able to party all night and still chug right along the next day. well those days are over. all i can say is enjoy it while it last and take nothing for granted.
why i dont do that ***** newb.not that i couldnt but hell i see it more as a waste of $$
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #98
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

lol @ the guys with crazy strict routines and then go out and drink gallons of beer on the weekends.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #99
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
lol @ the guys with crazy strict routines and then go out and drink gallons of beer on the weekends.
who has a routine and goes out and drinks? FWIW those people i was talking about did that **** monday-monday didnt matter what day it was they where getting fucked up.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #100
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
who has a routine and goes out and drinks? FWIW those people i was talking about did that **** monday-monday didnt matter what day it was they where getting fucked up.
Don't know about anyone on here, but being in the military I see a lot of guys who are really into body building and what not. Just think it's funny when I see them completely wasted on the weekends/weekdays. Kinda ruins the whole point.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4G63 rat rod dyno=800.3hp 556tq biglady112 Dynos and timesheets 15 11-20-2013 04:31 PM
Total gym pull-up bar recommendations... mazpr Insert BS here 43 09-20-2010 04:40 PM
Rats Back CF Lip korey Miata parts for sale/trade 13 05-15-2010 11:23 AM
The Rat Look has gone too far... Joe Perez Insert BS here 12 07-22-2009 11:54 AM
Your childhood (over 40) levnubhin Insert BS here 19 01-01-2009 12:30 PM


Tags
fitness, gym rats

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.