A question on faith - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #121
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Another random thought on my part of one of the reasons why I have avoided organized religion. I can't stand hearing people give ALL credit to god. No matter what good happens, they owe it all to god. You get a promotion at work for working your *** off 12 hours a day... its god. Get a good education and make a good life for yourself, its not because of your hard work and dedication, its thanks to god. Win the lottery, its not mathematics and chance, its gods work. Avoid a car accident by swerving left and braking... your arms and legs were guided by god, not by your intuition and reflexes. Food on your table? Its not your job you got by going to school for 4 years, and working hard to make an income to put food on the table, its thanks to god for feeding your sorry ***. I guess thats enough examples... you get my point. It just bothers me. Whats wrong with giving yourself some credit? Any religion where I am helpless and dependent on god to take care of me... even though its my own doing, I don't want any part of it.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #122
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 267
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile
Nope, came to that decision all on my own. That's one of the reasons I'm especially proud of it. I wasn't "raised" to be a certain way, in fact my parents are christians. I don't understand it when I hear someone say they believe something because they were "raised _______". What, no mind of your own? What you say is true though, so many don't take action on things because "god will handle it". That's not the reason I don't believe though, I simply don't believe in god the same way others don't believe in Santa Claus. The two both bring happiness and morality to those who believe in them and that's fine. I only push back when someone who does believe either tries to push their beliefs on me, disprove scientific fact with religious arguments, or otherwise influence my life for the worse.


While I was raised Christian, I should add that in my teenage years, I was a bit more against organized religion. I felt like I couldn't believe in something when Jimmy Swaggart and The Bakers were doing their obviously flawed thing. I did get over that, and realize that just because others try and do it wrong, doesn't mean doing it is wrong altogether.


Seeing your post reminds me that we have another discussion on faith that I need to answer...

Last edited by fahrvergnugen; 10-22-2009 at 11:02 PM.
fahrvergnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #123
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 267
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Another random thought on my part of one of the reasons why I have avoided organized religion. I can't stand hearing people give ALL credit to god. No matter what good happens, they owe it all to god. You get a promotion at work for working your *** off 12 hours a day... its god. Get a good education and make a good life for yourself, its not because of your hard work and dedication, its thanks to god. Win the lottery, its not mathematics and chance, its gods work. Avoid a car accident by swerving left and braking... your arms and legs were guided by god, not by your intuition and reflexes. Food on your table? Its not your job you got by going to school for 4 years, and working hard to make an income to put food on the table, its thanks to god for feeding your sorry ***. I guess thats enough examples... you get my point. It just bothers me. Whats wrong with giving yourself some credit? Any religion where I am helpless and dependent on god to take care of me... even though its my own doing, I don't want any part of it.

I used to be right where you are. I didn't 'get it' either. And trust me, I don't tend to do that much, because I am still not too far from there. From my perspective, when folks do that, they are expressing the love they have for Him, because they feel that those things are examples of -His- love for them. Now, if you have ever fallen in love, you can relate with the idea that love often defies reason. I know I can, I stayed with a woman who was banging half her Army company and a few fly boys, all because I loved her, AND I thought God wanted me to. My stupidity. Anyways, back on the point of love; if you see a couple and they are all over each other and obviously in love, and you are lonely, well, looking at that **** is hard. It ******* hurts! You want what they have, and here is proof that it exists. I think this is a fair comparison, but I am open to correction.

Even still, I don't feel that everything is about God, I just try to listen to Him and do what He wants me to because I have faith that He knows better than me. When others offer something like that, I just let it slide unless they will hurt themselves with it somehow. I mean, ultimately, I have no good news to offer them if I correct them. Now, if they are about to jump off a cliff, and believe they will be saved my angels, I will then intervene. And have on two occasions.
fahrvergnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #124
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddcod View Post
BUT WE ARE THE BAD GUYS!



Sounds like preaching. ^^^. LOL
Its perspective.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #125
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 808
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Another random thought on my part of one of the reasons why I have avoided organized religion. I can't stand hearing people give ALL credit to god. No matter what good happens, they owe it all to god. You get a promotion at work for working your *** off 12 hours a day... its god. Get a good education and make a good life for yourself, its not because of your hard work and dedication, its thanks to god. Win the lottery, its not mathematics and chance, its gods work. Avoid a car accident by swerving left and braking... your arms and legs were guided by god, not by your intuition and reflexes. Food on your table? Its not your job you got by going to school for 4 years, and working hard to make an income to put food on the table, its thanks to god for feeding your sorry ***. I guess thats enough examples... you get my point. It just bothers me. Whats wrong with giving yourself some credit? Any religion where I am helpless and dependent on god to take care of me... even though its my own doing, I don't want any part of it.
Maybe this would suit you a little better. Philosophy about God is one of the most interesting subject IMO. Watchmaker analogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that's the right one, I can't remember. It goes on to say that God built the universe and set it in motion and no longer touches it.

Anselm had another interesting theory: The Ontological Argument

My theory is that if God created the universe, then that creates a problem of how God came about. If God was always there, then why couldn't the universe have always been there? In my opinion, God was created by man to give hope, provide control, and explain the unknown. Though I truly want to believe in a god, my mind won't let me. I think it's mostly because I have very little emotion.

My logic is undeniable.
TrickerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #126
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

So, did any of you bitches give your soul to the dark prince? Without claim to your soul he grown hungry for flesh.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #127
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddcod View Post
We'll guys,



The beautiful thing about this country is Freedom of Religion.

If you don't want to believe in god. That is your choice.

I think it is funny that, some can bash god and make mocking and intentionally terrible statments.

We don't say nothing back to the few.

But we make a statement about our belief and our experiances, we are preaching.
And ruint the thread.

But all the bashing people haven't. It isn't their faults, only the christians.

When it comes down to it. Speak your belief's. But don't be hateful or mocking to others.

And as far as me and zoomin. I haven't seen where we have mocked anyone's beliefs, or made any potentially hurtful remarks.

BUT WE ARE THE BAD GUYS!



Sounds like preaching. ^^^. LOL

Everyone's beliefs are theirs, and hard to change.

But people need to look at the whole ball game of exchanged words.

I don't hate on Athiest, but athiest are always hating on me. Do I let it make me mad, no. The same respect should be given to everyone. I'm sure there are at least one of every religon on here. I don't bash them because they believe different.


If you don't believe in god. that is your choice. Just think we are retarted and let it be.

We both have the freedom and right to believe what we want.

If someone believe's different, hate doesn't win people over to your way of thinking. Kindness does. And if they don't come around, it is their choice and right.

Have a good day!
I wasn't trying to bash or hate. Sorry if it came across abrasive. I don't like church speak and I make no bones about that. I was simply pointing out that the first couple pages were pretty civil and pretty much to the point. When you and zoomin chimed in with pretty strong church convictions, healings and miracles mentioned, churchy lingo, etc. it was the turning point of the thread. I initially wasn't judging that your posts were wrong or bad, just that they were the end of the thread staying true to the OP's questioning.

As soon as I saw your & Zoomin's posts I knew it was game over...

Please no Christian vs Atheist fighting, and no smart *** comments here, I just want some people with some serious input. I need food for thought and would really appreciate any input, good or bad, as long as its respectful.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #128
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

I tried to keep my e-mouth shut but it looked like everyone else had already gotten the gloves off.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #129
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I'm just amazed it has made 7 pages and no one is dead yet.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #130
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Haha yeah. At the end of the day we're all here to discuss the Miata, I don't care what's said in these threads I'm not going to think any less of anyone. My viewpoint is in the minority (in American society in general) anyway so there's no point in making enemies over it.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #131
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Renton Washington
Posts: 1,742
Total Cats: 3
Default

I made it to page 6.5 then decided to post. NAC6 - The feeling you describe sounds like the worst thing imaginable. I have been there a few times but i try not to let it get the better of me. I try not to think big picture and set small goals. Like i want to buy a house. I want to get married to the woman of my dreams ( i may have found her... or maybe not). I want to have children. I want them to grow up and be mindful of other people. I want to see them get married and have children. Watch my grand children grow up and get married..... And about that time ill be on the last chapter of my life and i will hope that i lived a good life; that it was worth it all.


I know right now that it will be worth it and that's what my faith is.

P.S. Raised Christian but Agnostic. Although sometimes i do "talk" to god for guidiance. Its usually just me whispering to myself.
SKMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #132
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkcocker499 View Post
I made it to page 6.5 then decided to post. NAC6 - The feeling you describe sounds like the worst thing imaginable. I have been there a few times but i try not to let it get the better of me. I try not to think big picture and set small goals. Like i want to buy a house. I want to get married to the woman of my dreams ( i may have found her... or maybe not). I want to have children. I want them to grow up and be mindful of other people. I want to see them get married and have children. Watch my grand children grow up and get married..... And about that time ill be on the last chapter of my life and i will hope that i lived a good life; that it was worth it all.


I know right now that it will be worth it and that's what my faith is.

P.S. Raised Christian but Agnostic. Although sometimes i do "talk" to god for guidiance. Its usually just me whispering to myself.
Thanks, thats actually a good tip. I think a lot of my problem is trying to look too long term and too big of a picture. I should try to focus on one thing at a time, and make small goals for myself. My first goal is to finish school and buy a house, then followed by finding someone I want to marry, and having kids. The typical life I guess. I'm just frustrated that its not going as well as I planned when I left high school when I was 16, and now at 23 I'm still kind of at step 1. Looking at the overall picture, its kind of frustrating, but on a smaller scale, I should be done with college and in a good career within 2-3 years, so its not that bad.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #133
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ON
Posts: 523
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
irrelevant I'd say. some animals are nocturnal. and they/we adapt relatively easy to varying waking hours. hell, my cats sleep all day AND night.

before artificial light, people didn't likely do much after dark and now look at all the crap we do because we can stay up later.
Sounds kinda like you agree with me.

YES people require sleep, likely the same amount they have for the last 500 years (covering pre and post electric light cause fire has been used forever). YES they can do more in a day now due to technology. People still die without sleep (~ 2 weeks) and the normal amount required is close to the time that it is completely dark at night (this time obviously changes with season and location unlike human requirement).

Unless I missed your point that somehow people don't need as much sleep these days vs years past (hrs needed vs hrs slept not necessarily =, how many yawning coffee addict zombies do you know?).

BTW your cat sounds lazy but I don't have a cat to compare to so .
inferno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
NA Seat Sliders and Seat Belt Receivers skipstr Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-28-2015 11:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.