BMW Fanatic From VA Buys A Built Turbo NA - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #81
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

:sniff sniff:

I smell *****.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #82
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Unless you're confident that you'll only drive it on sunny days and never get caught in a rainstorm, then any rollbar you find (or have made) that is significantly taller than the standard fare will not only not fit under a hardtop, it also won't fit under the soft top.

If that's what you want, though, go for it. Taking the soft top and frame out will off set some of the weight gain from the roll bar.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #83
Junior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 166
Total Cats: -3
Default

If you get an aluminum seat (Ultrashield, Kirkey) make sure you install a seat back brace attached to the harness bar - aluminum seats will bend/fold in hard impacts so having the mid/top area of the back bolted will keep your head in the right spot. If I were you I would go for a used Sparco bucket and if you need more headroom you could bolt the seats to the floor using aluminum or steel L brackets. Ditching the stock sliders and cutting the rear seat mounts off the floor will give you another 2.5+ inches of headroom...

Good luck with the wiring and other issues - sounds like the PO bent you over and had his way with you.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #84
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: richmond,va
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

hey i kno that car u got it from one of my friends (rasco) i kno all about that car hit me up im in the richmond mond area too and i knoi some ppl who can might hell u with tuning the car email me at [email protected] and ill get ur start on all the spec for that car
fastmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #85
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmx5 View Post
hey i kno that car u got it from one of my friends (rasco) i kno all about that car hit me up im in the richmond mond area too and i knoi some ppl who can might hell u with tuning the car email me at [email protected] and ill get ur start on all the spec for that car

HOLY ****!!! YOU WIN THE MAGNA GRAMMAR AWARD ON YOUR FIRST POST!


Let me help others out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmx5 View Post
Hey, I know that car. You got it from one of my friends, Rasco. I know all about that car (redundant), hit me up I'm in the Richmond mond area too and I know some people who can might help you with tuning the car. Email me at [email protected] and I'll get you started on all the specs for that car.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #86
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
:sniff sniff:

I smell *****.
I like my head intact lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Unless you're confident that you'll only drive it on sunny days and never get caught in a rainstorm, then any rollbar you find (or have made) that is significantly taller than the standard fare will not only not fit under a hardtop, it also won't fit under the soft top.

If that's what you want, though, go for it. Taking the soft top and frame out will off set some of the weight gain from the roll bar.
So what you are saying is the difference in roll bar height from a soft top to a hard top is negligible? Regardless I need a different bar so I can have a harness bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
If you get an aluminum seat (Ultrashield, Kirkey) make sure you install a seat back brace attached to the harness bar - aluminum seats will bend/fold in hard impacts so having the mid/top area of the back bolted will keep your head in the right spot. If I were you I would go for a used Sparco bucket and if you need more headroom you could bolt the seats to the floor using aluminum or steel L brackets. Ditching the stock sliders and cutting the rear seat mounts off the floor will give you another 2.5+ inches of headroom...

Good luck with the wiring and other issues - sounds like the PO bent you over and had his way with you.
I think I'm looking into getting a bride, recaro, sparco, racetech, cobra. Something along those lines. And what is the process of mounting the seat as low as possible. I don't need sliders because I always need the seat all the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmx5 View Post
hey i kno that car u got it from one of my friends (rasco) i kno all about that car hit me up im in the richmond mond area too and i knoi some ppl who can might hell u with tuning the car email me at [email protected] and ill get ur start on all the spec for that car
oh lord. do i email haha?
SRS-NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #87
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
HOLY ****!!! YOU WIN THE MAGNA GRAMMAR AWARD ON YOUR FIRST POST!
Lmao!!!

Hey OP wrap the roll bar with foam and quit being a *****
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #88
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

I say remove the roll bar all together and just use the stock belts. like I said, you're never going to be happy with any roll bar out there. Maybe an ESP rollbar.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #89
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default



guess where the dead guy in this picture below is:





guess where the driver of this rear ended miata, that resulted in no deaths, who reports hitting head hard on his padded roll bar is:

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #90
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,449
Total Cats: 16
Default

Wtfs?
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #91
Junior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 166
Total Cats: -3
Default

"i knoi some ppl who can might hell u"

What the ****? I couldn't write that poorly if I tried. Run on sentence, shitload of misspellings, **** grammar, wow.

Didn't we all start learning basic spelling and grammar in pre-school or at least by 1st grade?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

that made me sick. gross. precisely why i'm not taking out and leaving my bar out.
SRS-NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #93
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 240
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS-NA View Post
And padding is not the proper solution.
Man up. Go to the hardware store. Spend your pocket change. Buy some foam.

Do you realize how hard you would have to hit your head on that to **** **** up?
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #94
Antisaint
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS-NA View Post
that made me sick. gross. precisely why i'm not taking out and leaving my bar out.
See.....you were ok at first, now your just starting to be aggravating about the ******* thing. Pad it, take it out, or buy another car.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #95
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

the driver of this miata, and passenger, both hit their heads hard on rollbar:



the driver reported a headache for two days...

30 minutes later he was caught doing this:

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #96
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Holy **** brain, those almost made me gag.... OP did you you goo through puberty already??? Holy **** pad the ******* thing and move on to the next real problem!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
the driver of this miata, and passenger, both hit their heads hard on rollbar:
WTF!!! how did that happen??
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #97
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Alrighty, well I still have to get a different bar so I can run harnesses ha. Even if I pad the **** out of it, I will need one with a harness bar running horizontal. Basically what I need to know is the difference between a hardtop and a soft top bar. Like as in a measurement, to decide whether it is worth it for me to sell the hardtop bar just so I can run a soft top bar?
SRS-NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #98
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS-NA View Post
Alrighty, well I still have to get a different bar so I can run harnesses ha. Even if I pad the **** out of it, I will need one with a harness bar running horizontal. Basically what I need to know is the difference between a hardtop and a soft top bar. Like as in a measurement, to decide whether it is worth it for me to sell the hardtop bar just so I can run a soft top bar?
I'll sell you my bolt in harness bar.

31.5"...goes between the seat belt towers.

I'm moving away from harnesses in my DD.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #99
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
I'll sell you my bolt in harness bar.

31.5"...goes between the seat belt towers.

I'm moving away from harnesses in my DD.
pm me a price

and I'm gonna take some measurements today with me in the car. and ill decide what to do.
SRS-NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #100
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

HT bars allow use of the side latches so they sit a little further back, softtop only bars are a little more forward and the side latched cannot be used.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 1.6l turbo complete part out. Tony the Tiger Miata parts for sale/trade 63 12-29-2016 03:23 AM
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
BMW TPS / P&P TPS for Megasquirt albumleaf WTB 0 09-10-2015 10:28 AM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.