Weird semi-male with bad english starts the great hot sauce thread - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #121
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

I want one. Paypal invoice me at [email protected]?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #122
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,910
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Not that obscure. I love it too. The local (now closed) california tortilla had it.
Cal Tort closed in Arlington?

There's one by me and I'm pretty sure you can get that there still.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #123
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beckley, WV
Posts: 868
Total Cats: 36
Default

Count me in for looks like the last bottle in Pinkys case. Will pm my paypal info
Tekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #124
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,040
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Cal Tort closed in Arlington?

There's one by me and I'm pretty sure you can get that there still.
The Reston one closed. Why would I go to Cal Tort in Arlington when there's Dis Tac?
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #125
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,910
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
The Reston one closed. Why would I go to Cal Tort in Arlington when there's Dis Tac?
because you cray?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #126
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Hot sauce in the hizzie. I'll box it up and send the folks who called "dibs" a PayPal invoice, so PM me y'all's PayPal info. As it stands, the case has been spoken-for, but if somebody really wants one I'll give up one of my four.

Attached Thumbnails
Weird semi-male with bad english starts the great hot sauce thread-image.jpg  
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #127
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default



Old St. Augustine Datil Pepper sauce. Mild to medium heat, great flavor. That's the one I mentioned above that was my "go to" sauce.

Now, someone talk to me about a good bottled jerk sauce I can buy. The last ones I've bought were too salty and too thick. I'm looking for more of a marinade or sauce, not a paste.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird semi-male with bad english starts the great hot sauce thread-datil_pepper_sauce.jpg  
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #128
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Ok kids, I've found some boxes and PINK (naturally) styrofoam peanuts, I'm ready to box up the Gator Sauce tomorrow. I think the easiest way is just to send it out and then Paypal invoice y'all once I've shipped it and know the shipping cost for each person. Send me a shipping address via PM and I'll get this stuff on the road.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #129
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,331
Total Cats: 1,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
I've found some boxes and PINK (naturally) styrofoam peanuts,
Ah, yes. Anti-static foam. We wouldn't want the hot sauce to be damaged by an ESD event.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #130
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,704
Total Cats: 237
Default

I cant wait for DAT SAUCE. Will post a 438 word review in this thread when I've done some proper testing.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #131
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,040
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Ah, yes. Anti-static foam. We wouldn't want the hot sauce to be damaged by an ESD event.
should he silver bag it too?

too bad it's not the cellulose peanuts. I bet they'd taste great with a little sauce.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #132
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,331
Total Cats: 1,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
should he silver bag it too?

too bad it's not the cellulose peanuts. I bet they'd taste great with a little sauce.
Hahaha.

I've actually tasted the starch peanuts, purely out of curiosity. They're actually not as horrid as I'd expected. Not exactly gourmet, but if you were stranded on a desert island, I can imagine worse things to be stuck with a container full of. (eg: eggplant that has been cooked into a squishy mess.)
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #133
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

The Juice is loose, winging it's way to the four corners of our great nation to spread it's peppery goodness to the uninitiated. I sent it USPS, "cheapest way available", which in some cases ended up being express at the same price as standard mail. Those of you in the boonies might have to wait an extra day for yours.

Looking forward to the 438 word review.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #134
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,704
Total Cats: 237
Default

I lied about a 438 word review. Maybe if you had sent Joe Perez a bottle he could pull that off, but I'm a simple man.

Goddamn this sauce is good. It's good on eggs, it's good on potatoes. I tried it on pizza too. Super good on burritos. My new favorite sauce. It still has a bit of a vinegary bite, but it really has so much more flavor than most I've tried and the vinegar does NOT overpower. The ingredients are simple, the sauce is HOT, and it's my new go to sauce for anything right now. Already downed 1/4 a bottle in the last week.

Thanks Pinky! I'll have to buy my own case online when I run out.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #135
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,040
Total Cats: 407
Default

my sauce is cursed. not only did two arrive with cracked caps due to pinky's lack of PINK PEANUTS, but my wife knocked one out of the fridge, effectively killing the cap completely.

Solution? USE MOAR SAWSS.

Anyway, I'm a happy guy.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #136
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,331
Total Cats: 1,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Ya'll need more Pepper Plant in your life.

Not sure how I missed this earlier, but OH GOD, YES!

I've had this sauce (the Original) a couple of times before. It's highly unique, such that I can't think of anything to compare it to. It's nothing at all like a vinegar-based sauce, but it's also not overly sweet like Frank's sweet chili sauce. It's also not really "hot" per se- the flavor is extremely rich, and dominated by things like ground black pepper. Most hot sauces are pretty straightforward and, quite frankly, overpowering. But this one has a lot of depth and complexity to it, and still allows the underlying flavor of rich foods to shine through.

I never even knew that such a thing as "California Style Pepper Sauce" existed, but it's deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #137
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
I lied about a 438 word review. Maybe if you had sent Joe Perez a bottle he could pull that off, but I'm a simple man.

Goddamn this sauce is good. It's good on eggs, it's good on potatoes. I tried it on pizza too. Super good on burritos. My new favorite sauce. It still has a bit of a vinegary bite, but it really has so much more flavor than most I've tried and the vinegar does NOT overpower. The ingredients are simple, the sauce is HOT, and it's my new go to sauce for anything right now. Already downed 1/4 a bottle in the last week.

Thanks Pinky! I'll have to buy my own case online when I run out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
my sauce is cursed. not only did two arrive with cracked caps due to pinky's lack of PINK PEANUTS, but my wife knocked one out of the fridge, effectively killing the cap completely.

Solution? USE MOAR SAWSS.

Anyway, I'm a happy guy.

Glad y'all are enjoying the sauce; its my favorite by far. Sorry again about the caps Matt, I thought that bubble wrap would do a better job but failed to take into account the abuse it would suffer at the hands of the USPS.

Pro Tip: Try it on a good thin-sliced Roast Beef sandwich.. Heaven.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #138
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
I lied about a 438 word review. Maybe if you had sent Joe Perez a bottle he could pull that off, but I'm a simple man.
I was wondering how you were planning to pull off 400+ words about hot sauce, even a good one like Gator Hammock. I was expecting something that went "Wow, this sauce is really good. Really, really, really, really good. I'm talking about really really really really really really really good.. " (and so on..)
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #139
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,704
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
Glad y'all are enjoying the sauce; its my favorite by far. Sorry again about the caps Matt, I thought that bubble wrap would do a better job but failed to take into account the abuse it would suffer at the hands of the USPS.

Pro Tip: Try it on a good thin-sliced Roast Beef sandwich.. Heaven.
LOL, and i was laughing when my box came in with how damn well you packaged the damn things. If you packaged y8's as good as you did mine I'm VERY surprised the cap broke on him.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #140
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Not sure how I missed this earlier, but OH GOD, YES!

I've had this sauce (the Original) a couple of times before. It's highly unique, such that I can't think of anything to compare it to. It's nothing at all like a vinegar-based sauce, but it's also not overly sweet like Frank's sweet chili sauce. It's also not really "hot" per se- the flavor is extremely rich, and dominated by things like ground black pepper. Most hot sauces are pretty straightforward and, quite frankly, overpowering. But this one has a lot of depth and complexity to it, and still allows the underlying flavor of rich foods to shine through.

I never even knew that such a thing as "California Style Pepper Sauce" existed, but it's deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!
Well, its a local product for me. Every local restaurant worth its salt has a bottle on the table. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Missing/knock at idle, can someone point me in the right direction? Mikel MEGAsquirt 4 09-28-2015 05:46 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.