DIYPNP Idle Issues - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #21
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmx5 View Post
I tried disabling EGO control, along with using the single WB02 setting, both with the same result. I can however give the specific number everything goes downhill. 175 degrees is the magic number. As long as the CLT reports back under 175 everything is fine, at and above is the issue.
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #22
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 4
Default

When CLT >= 175 F the cpu sends a self destruct signal to your car by PA0.

southernmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #23
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

I tried disabling Pa0 and I found that problem went away, thus it was safe to assume there was a jumpering issue. I stumbled upon someone else’s jumper diagram as provided by Matt at DIYautotune. This is what I changed mine to:

AC:
1p -> input 1 in
input 1 out -> pe1
PA0 -> relay 2 in
Relay 2 out -> 1S
1S -> 1I
2.2k resistor in (R14?)

Radiator fan:
WLD -> Relay 1 in
Relay 1 out -> 1R

Clutch Switch:
Clutch Switch -> DB15 connector 11
DB 15 connector 11 -> input 2 in
input 1 out -> FLX

After doing this, I reflashed my ECU because I wanted a fresh start (probably no point in doing this...) and these are the problems I am now having.
1) My AC compressor is always on, whether or not the AC button is pressed, or the fan is in the off position. As soon as I turn the fan on (with the AC button in the off position) cold air comes right out. The same result is with the button pressed on. This doesn't make sense to me....
2) My Tachometer goes to 0 RPM when I step hard on the throttle with Tacho Out setting set to off. If I turn Tacho Out setting on, the RPM gauge moves very slowly, then occasionally oscillates randomly from 2k-6k.
3) When the car is sitting warm at idle, if I go to start it, it will start strong, try to stay alive, then die. I must wait for the car to cool before it will start well on it's own. If I give it some gas to stay alive long enough to read AFR's, it will be at 16-17; however, if I start the car from a cold start and let it warm up, it will idle right where I want it to ~14.7.

Attached is my current tune file (I know the whole VE table is not tuned, but the bottom end/idle looks good enough).
Attached Files
File Type: msq Tune1.14.14.msq (108.1 KB, 58 views)
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

I tried opening your tune under a new project with your current firmware that was on your .msq and got so many errors I didnt feel like reading them. Send me all the details of your build and Ill try to get you a decent start up map while Im at work. Then we can go from there. Otherwise I feel like were pissing in the wind. Also reflash to the newest firmware again. Its freakin **** and BEER.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Ok try this map and use these jumpers for AC

Add 2.2k resister to r14

1Q>Input 1 IN
Input 1 OUT>PE1
PA0> Relay 1 IN
Relay 1 Out > 1J and 4S.

Post results. This map is intended to fix your output settings and correct the AC Idle up setting you had before as well as turn off EGO control until you get a more developed tune. IMO I never use EGO control. Never really had enough reason to turn it on
Attached Files
File Type: msq Austin's Base-Scott.msq (104.7 KB, 46 views)
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Ok try this map and use these jumpers for AC

Add 2.2k resister to r14

1Q>Input 1 IN
Input 1 OUT>PE1
PA0> Relay 1 IN
Relay 1 Out > 1J and 4S.

Post results. This map is intended to fix your output settings and correct the AC Idle up setting you had before as well as turn off EGO control until you get a more developed tune. IMO I never use EGO control. Never really had enough reason to turn it on
Are you sure about 1Q, 1J, and 4S? Not trying to doubt you, but judging by DIYautotunes page these aren't the AC/Rad fan I/O's (DIYPNP MegaSquirt installation for the Mazda Miata). If your sure, I'll go change that!
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeathb View Post
Are you sure about 1Q, 1J, and 4S? Not trying to doubt you, but judging by DIYautotunes page these aren't the AC/Rad fan I/O's (DIYPNP MegaSquirt installation for the Mazda Miata). If your sure, I'll go change that!

Sorry I meant 1P, 1S & 1l. I was helping another person with a 95 earlier.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Sorry I meant 1P, 1S & 1l. I was helping another person with a 95 earlier.
I already have this jumper config (going through relay 2 instead), so I assume I can just plug and chug with the tune? Or should I disconnect the WLD -> relay 1 in, relay 1 out -> 1R? (Radiator fan circuit)
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeathb View Post
I already have this jumper config (going through relay 2 instead), so I assume I can just plug and chug with the tune? Or should I disconnect the WLD -> relay 1 in, relay 1 out -> 1R? (Radiator fan circuit)
I really dont think it should matter. you should be good to go then. Nothing in it will hurt your car. Im using the same ign, fuel and sequential settings you already had. Try this map. It should work out as long as your wiring is as you said.
Attached Files
File Type: msq Ausins NEW Base Map.msq (104.7 KB, 44 views)
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #30
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
I really dont think it should matter. you should be good to go then. Nothing in it will hurt your car. Im using the same ign, fuel and sequential settings you already had. Try this map. It should work out as long as your wiring is as you said.
So tried the tune and a few odd things are happening:
1. Once the car warmed up, I think I hear some ping at idle (I didn't try driving it). AFR's read ~14 and timing is only around 15-17.
2. My AC compressor idle up is not working properly, and on top of that, it appears that the compressor is still "always engaged." No matter which way I turn the AC button, or fan position, there is no change in idle and the air is always ice cold (it's ~70 degrees here ambient temp). I tried searching, but everyone with a similar problem seems to have the opposite where the AC comp will not engage.....
3. It didn't look like VICS was configured, and why isn't coolant based on CLT temp? Also, why shouldn't I be running CL idle?
*edit* here is the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: msl 1.15.14.msl (116.7 KB, 56 views)
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #31
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeathb View Post
So tried the tune and a few odd things are happening:
1. Once the car warmed up, I think I hear some ping at idle (I didn't try driving it). AFR's read ~14 and timing is only around 15-17.
2. My AC compressor idle up is not working properly, and on top of that, it appears that the compressor is still "always engaged." No matter which way I turn the AC button, or fan position, there is no change in idle and the air is always ice cold (it's ~70 degrees here ambient temp). I tried searching, but everyone with a similar problem seems to have the opposite where the AC comp will not engage.....
3. It didn't look like VICS was configured, and why isn't coolant based on CLT temp? Also, why shouldn't I be running CL idle?
*edit* here is the log file.
Weird. the reason why I took of Closed loop is to eliminate your idle fluctuations or eliminate closed loop being the case. Closed loop idle is not something you tune tell the very end. I havent even fully perfected my closed loop idle yet just because I am still playing with hot restart enrichment. Once thats done than Ill tighten up closed loop a little more. As for the AC Compressor I think you have something going on with your jumpers. Could you post HQ pictures f the front and back of your board. Maybe at this point you may even want to roll back your firmware since you said it was fine before. I wonder if when you update your msq after updateing your firmware if you didnt update it correctly. Could you also post your msq from when the car was running correctly?
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #32
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Weird. the reason why I took of Closed loop is to eliminate your idle fluctuations or eliminate closed loop being the case. Closed loop idle is not something you tune tell the very end. I havent even fully perfected my closed loop idle yet just because I am still playing with hot restart enrichment. Once thats done than Ill tighten up closed loop a little more. As for the AC Compressor I think you have something going on with your jumpers. Could you post HQ pictures f the front and back of your board. Maybe at this point you may even want to roll back your firmware since you said it was fine before. I wonder if when you update your msq after updateing your firmware if you didnt update it correctly. Could you also post your msq from when the car was running correctly?
The car has always been running on 3.3.1, and it hasn't ever been running correctly. The thermoresistors have always read off, and the AC idle up has never worked properly. I just went for a drive, and it actually seemed to be working pretty well. The Tach read properly, the AFR's stayed pretty constant, and the radiator kicked in (I changed it to turn on >175. The only real problem I am having right now is the AC, and to my understanding, the ECU does not control when the AC turns on and off. The compressor kick in right at start all the time, then never turns off. Also, AC idle up is not working, so I assume it is not getting a signal. I could post up pics of the jumpers, but I think there is too much going on to see anything; it's hard enough holding it in my hands. Do you/anyone know how the AC clutch decides to kick in and how it send a signal to the ECU? I'm thinking there may be an actual hardware problem....
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #33
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Okay, so as I was buzzing out the circuit, I found what I had and was recommended can not work. First off, that radiator circuit will not work. WLD is a relay, so putting it in series with relay 1 will never control 1R as 1R never get's input voltage. 1R must go directly to WLD. Problem 1 solved. Problem 2: 1P needs to control 1S and 1I, but 1P also needs to go to PE1 to tell the ECU when to idle up. So here is my issue; how do I connect 1P to the IS-1I circuit and relay 2? drawing for reference, please pardon MSpaint. What goes where? And what does R14 do?
Attached Thumbnails
DIYPNP Idle Issues-miata-ecu.jpg  

Last edited by aeathb; 01-16-2014 at 05:02 PM.
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #34
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

Okay, how about this? This way the compressor relay kicks on correct and I also get to keep pe1 for AC idle up. Do I need to remove R14?
Attached Thumbnails
DIYPNP Idle Issues-miata-ecu.jpg  
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

PM Sent
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

So after looking into this further and playing with the multimeter, I found the last schematic was wrong too. Here is the correct diagram. This appears to be working, I will update with any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
DIYPNP Idle Issues-miata-ecu.jpg  
aeathb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
Missing/knock at idle, can someone point me in the right direction? Mikel MEGAsquirt 4 09-28-2015 05:46 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.