Extended Lower Ball Joint Group Buy--FIRST shipment - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Miata parts for sale/trade Buy, trade or sell your Miata parts here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #81
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,991
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoSTEEZ View Post
second run coming?
https://www.flyinmiata.com/extended-...all-joint.html

SuperMiata Extended Lower Ball Joints
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #82
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default

Guys,

The same Christmas shipping snafu that has held up the new 949 6UL wheels for seven weeks is doing a number on the ELBJ's. While they are in port and have been offloaded, they should have already been in stock.

They should be in our shop this week, and will be turned around immediately and sent to FM, 949, Goodwin and MiataRoadster. There will be very few left in the shop, and the few who has already expressed interest on this thread, I will contact you to see if you're still interested--as soon as we have stock. Otherwise, FM, 949 et al are your best bet.

A new shipment over twice as big as this one is due in at the end of the month.

Thanks
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #83
Senior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lexington SC
Posts: 1,003
Total Cats: 14
Default

I would be interested if you have any left as part of the original deal.
Rallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #84
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 22
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallas View Post
I would be interested if you have any left as part of the original deal.
They're long gone. Just order through 949 or Flyin' Miata.
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #85
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default ELBJ's arrived

The shipment of ELBJ's has arrived, but talking to FM and 949, very few are left. Jump now if you need them now.

Otherwise we're looking at the arrival of our next shipment during the first week of February. Moar. As usual, I'm looking for any kind of feedback from anyone who has installed them from the first batch.

Thanks
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #86
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,008
Total Cats: 583
Default

I got a set of these on the first group buy. Just put them in and got a fresh setup.

This is the point, extension from the mount to the ball joint stud = more track and more camber:



Even though I had part of the first lot of ball joints, it still had the markings that NASA requires for tech. I "think" these ball joints end up being 2 points due to track change and the ability to run wider tires as compared to offset upper bushings.



Changing ball joints on a Miata is laughably easy. Basically 2 nuts and a bolt. Did both sides in under an hour.



In the past, I found the hardest part of the lower balljoint change to be popping the balljoint. Always involved a BFH wielded at odd angles with stuff in the way (working on jackstands). So I got this tool from Harbor Freight. Worked great. As with all Made in China stuff, lubricate before use:



Now the gotcha' for those of you driving to a shop for setup/alignment. If you had 2.5 degrees or more camber on 225 tires before putting these in, it is likely that your tires will be hitting your springs once you set the car on the ground -- so go ahead and twist your suspension bolts to take camber out while it's up in the air.

How did it work? Great. We were able to dial in a solid 3.5 degrees of camber into the front of an NA at 4.7" pinch height with adjustment to spare. Everything has good clearance for the suspension to work. I took it out on track on some dead RS-3's and got within 1.3 seconds of my PB on R-Comps. The car felt a lot looser (loose is fast), which means the front is gripping better. I've been struggling with premature front tire wear at the outer edge -- so I'm looking forward to improved tire life. Set of sticker Toyo RR's are in the garage waiting to go on . . . .

Last edited by hornetball; 01-24-2016 at 01:17 PM.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #87
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
I got a set of these on the first group buy. Just put them in and got a fresh setup.

This is the point, extension from the mount to the ball joint stud = more track and more camber:



Even though I had part of the first lot of ball joints, it still had the markings that NASA requires for tech. I "think" these ball joints end up being 2 points due to track change and the ability to run wider tires as compared to offset upper bushings.



Changing ball joints on a Miata is laughably easy. Basically 2 nuts and a bolt. Did both sides in under an hour.



In the past, I found the hardest part of the lower balljoint change to be popping the balljoint. Always involved a BFH wielded at odd angles with stuff in the way (working on jackstands). So I got this tool from Harbor Freight. Worked great. As with all Made in China stuff, lubricate before use:



Now the gotcha' for those of you driving to a shop for setup/alignment. If you had 2.5 degrees or more camber on 225 tires before putting these in, it is likely that your tires will be hitting your springs once you set the car on the ground -- so go ahead and twist your suspension bolts to take camber out while it's up in the air.

How did it work? Great. We were able to dial in a solid 3.5 degrees of camber into the front of an NA at 4.7" pinch height with adjustment to spare. Everything has good clearance for the suspension to work. I took it out on track on some dead RS-3's and got within 1.3 seconds of my PB on R-Comps. The car felt a lot looser (loose is fast), which means the front is gripping better. I've been struggling with premature front tire wear at the outer edge -- so I'm looking forward to improved tire life. Set of sticker Toyo RR's are in the garage waiting to go on . . . .
THANK YOU for the feedback, especially about re-adjusting the camber a bit after putting on the ELBJ's. It's so hilarious to me to go on MT.net and talk about new part designs for a 25 year old car.

Last edited by cordycord; 01-24-2016 at 08:28 PM.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #88
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,008
Total Cats: 583
Default

I'm surprised by the reception these are getting from the entrenched SM types. I think they are a superior solution to the camber issue.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 89
Total Cats: 1
Default

to quote the first post in this thread:

"PLEASE only add your name if the extended lower ball joints will be going on your car soon and you can give feedback. There are lots more coming."

So have those special people who got in early been to the track with these? all ok? are these now TRACK TESTED at multiple events?
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #90
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,991
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

Hornetball has tested them. Mine just went on and will be tested April 2nd. Pretty much the first day in our region.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 AM   #91
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,008
Total Cats: 583
Default

I've beat the heck out of them. No worries. And I'm getting better tire wear. A set of Toyo RR's went 23 sessions.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #92
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,775
Total Cats: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
to quote the first post in this thread:

"PLEASE only add your name if the extended lower ball joints will be going on your car soon and you can give feedback. There are lots more coming."

So have those special people who got in early been to the track with these? all ok? are these now TRACK TESTED at multiple events?
Alex Tan has them on a couple of cars. His K24 Miata won Vtec Club Group A at Streets of Willow this weekend, pulling 1:24's.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #93
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
to quote the first post in this thread:

"PLEASE only add your name if the extended lower ball joints will be going on your car soon and you can give feedback. There are lots more coming."

So have those special people who got in early been to the track with these? all ok? are these now TRACK TESTED at multiple events?
I got one track day on mine. 3.5 hours of actually on track running time so probably equal to two "normal track days". No issues whatsoever.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:04 AM   #94
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 89
Total Cats: 1
Default

thanks for the replies guys.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #95
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,991
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

All the camberz.

Attached Thumbnails
Extended Lower Ball Joint Group Buy--FIRST shipment-23iibor.jpg  
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #96
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,991
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

Extended lower ball joints get the full clubroadster approval.

-4.7* of camber and it wasn't even maxed out.

Attached Thumbnails
Extended Lower Ball Joint Group Buy--FIRST shipment-h3i93ko.jpg  
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #97
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 758
Total Cats: 5
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Extended Lower Ball Joint Group Buy--FIRST shipment-maxresdefault.jpg  
boileralum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #98
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,008
Total Cats: 583
Default

No joke. Like I said, when I first set my car down with these installed I couldn't drive it. Too much tire rub on the springs. Had to lift it back up and twist out the camber to get it to the alignment shop for setup.

Why only 3 degrees Aidan? How you gonna' keep your CR cred?
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:02 AM   #99
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,991
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

I got enough stickers to keep my CR cred

I'm on 205 z2*s and not a fast driver. This is also my summer daily so 3* is plenty
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'95 Miata from Wisconsin jcrane82 Meet and Greet 35 10-13-2016 01:28 PM
1996-2000 Trackdog Racing Wiring Harness Extension Cxmoney Miata parts for sale/trade 8 12-01-2015 11:00 PM
Mazdaspeed Miata.... MSPNP PRO Gen2 or Hydra 2.7? Shinjitago ECUs and Tuning 8 11-25-2015 04:23 AM
1995 Miata with 65,000 Miles - Bone Stock calteg Cars for sale/trade 0 11-23-2015 07:30 PM
1997 Eunos Roadster S-Special-I Eunn Meet and Greet 3 11-23-2015 07:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.