Turbo NC 419 Hp 430lb/ft - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11
Total Cats: -11
Default Turbo NC 419 Hp 430lb/ft

I hope the time will soon come where we can have a Real NC Turbo thread in this forum for those who like to be well informed.

This has been an excellent place to learn from those who have done it.

Just wanted to share a full car build we did for a customers car who shipped it to us all the way from California to us in Florida.
We replaced the engine with one of our own, added a custom T3 turbo. Fatcat suspension and we of course tune the thing.

Hp is limited by the turbine housing, but it was a compromise, this turbo spools at 1500 RPM, I most admit it came out very nice.





here is a link to the other place

dynodone2_zpsd4870ade.jpg Photo by Javier_Jay_Pabon | Photobucket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3233_zps391063f6.jpg (53.3 KB, 1003 views)
blackone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

nice

why is the rpm scale cut off?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

You want a serious thread, we want full disclosure.



Id like to see the turbo setup. Did you guys build the manifold/DP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3233_zps391063f6_0.jpg (244.6 KB, 1175 views)
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

lol and so the fun begins.

it spools at 1500 rpm huh? sure don't look like it
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Attached Images
File Type: gif irN82j9.gif (484.1 KB, 996 views)
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

I dont care about the build thread, I just want to know how did you get ur **** to stick to the ceiling?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallrotated_zps36dd3d01.jpg (24.8 KB, 988 views)
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

It's running a 3071, so I expect the rpm scale to be way better than that, especially on the 2.0 liter engine. Looking forward to trying to get a ride in this thing, it's in the Bay Area.
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyworks View Post
It's running a 3071, so I expect the rpm scale to be way better than that, especially on the 2.0 liter engine. Looking forward to trying to get a ride in this thing, it's in the Bay Area.
HP/TQ crossover happens at 5252 RPM, which falls directly in the middle of the 2 grid lines. This is a good indicator that the grid is in 500 rpm increments. It also would make sense that they would be reving it to roughly 7500 rpm.
I dont know for sure, but Id say it is a well thought out guess. The only way Id be wrong is if they were using some weird scaling where the grid lines dont correspond to nice even increments. This would also mean that they were reving the engine much higher than I would expect (like 9k+ rpm).
It is pretty reasonable to assume that the scaling is correct, with their solid line sitting at 5500 rpm.

As for it not spooling as well as you would expect, part of that can certainly be contributed to starting the pull at 3500 rpm. Starting at a lower rpm would probably show gains below 5000 rpm.

EDIT:
Another nail in the coffin for the rpm scaling.
Here is a dyno from their shop:


Notice the RPM scaling used, and notice their habit of starting dyno pulls at stupid high RPM just as I suspected.


Amateur hour is over STP. This is ******* MiataTurbo.net, we're not like honda kids and domestic **** who dont know **** about tuning. If you want to impress us we want objective, accurate and precise, scientific data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001lia.jpg (106.3 KB, 922 views)

Last edited by Full_Tilt_Boogie; 09-09-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

I love mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
HP/TQ crossover happens at 5252 RPM, which falls directly in the middle of the 2 grid lines. This is a good indicator that the grid is in 500 rpm increments. It also would make sense that they would be reving it to roughly 7500 rpm.
I dont know for sure, but Id say it is a well thought out guess. The only way Id be wrong is if they were using some weird scaling where the grid lines dont correspond to nice even increments. This would also mean that they were reving the engine much higher than I would expect (like 9k+ rpm).
It is pretty reasonable to assume that the scaling is correct, with their solid line sitting at 5500 rpm.

As for it not spooling as well as you would expect, part of that can certainly be contributed to starting the pull at 3500 rpm. Starting at a lower rpm would probably show gains below 5000 rpm.

EDIT:
Another nail in the coffin for the rpm scaling.
Here is a dyno from their shop:


Notice the RPM scaling used, and notice their habit of starting dyno pulls at stupid high RPM just as I suspected.


Amateur hour is over STP. This is ******* MiataTurbo.net, we're not like honda kids and domestic **** who dont know **** about tuning. If you want to impress us we want objective, accurate and precise, scientific data.
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

lol thats the shittiest graph ever. Almost as bad as the dyno guy i went to putting the horizontal rpm graph against the vertical rpm graph.

Half the graph is logo, the bottom half is run names. then the dyno graphs are devided into half of that. Uck. At least mine was vertical.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

why did you photoshop this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynodone2_zpsd4870ade.jpg (77.1 KB, 858 views)
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

do you need photoshop for cropping?

why did you MS paint edit this?

EDIT: NVM I sees the line bellow the x axis now
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

yeah, the X-axis was intentially edited out.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

TDR is gonna have a bad time on MT if they think they can feed us this n00b garbage and expect to be praised mindlessly by braindead lemmings like they do on M.net
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Just to be clear, this is the OTHER TDR, right?
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

yes, Tuning Done Retarded
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Oh that's right... the abortion manifold guy. The dude that dicks around with tuning stock ECUs and ****? The guy that decided that quality turbo-to-manifold hardware was too expensive so he spot welds the turbo to the manifold?
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Hp is limited by the turbine housing, but it was a compromise, this turbo spools at 1500 RPM, I most admit it came out very nice.
What a bunch of crap.

that dyno suggests his power was limited by tuning-done-wrong, not the turbine. and at the 1500RPM spool remark...sure it might make .01psi at 1500RPM, but it has a boost threshold of 5000RPM; stop trying to kid yourself, or us.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

I think he accidentally confused MT with M.net and is now finding out that MS Paint is not the way to glory around here.

I really think he should take Dyno Plot lessons from Nitrodann
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 130
Default

I'm just impressed by them building a custom turbo.
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.