Rear Undertray Extractor Design Question - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2015, 02:33 AM   #21
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
on a sustained pull like you're describing, i've seen 170-180 repeatedly with like 80-90 ambient
Hmm, is that with a good intercooler? I haven't done an 11 second pull yet to know for sure, but a 8-9 second pull is easily 50-60 over ambient and climbing with the current setup at only 23 PSI, so with 30 it's going to be worse. I figure I'll be 80-90 over ambient for sure with the current IC just going from 0 to the top of 4th at 23 PSI, probably 90-100 with more boost.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 AM   #22
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

maybe we're talking about different tests: 11 seconds sustained in top gear is somewhere around 150-160mph. if you're shifting 1-4th I don't think that's the same actually. I know when tuning ryan's car it probaby didn't even take 11 seconds to get to 150 from like 45
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 AM   #23
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

No I'm talking about drag racing, come on you know me! So say from a stop, with everything just idling, and I haul *** down the 1/4 mile. That's about the most I'm going to beat on it. I just made up 11 seconds but it would be something like that maybe 12.

I often run 1/8 mile but 1/4 mile will be tougher temps to deal with of course and I want it to handle that too. I was just looking at datalogs of 1-2-3-and grab 4th pulls I've done to get an idea of what air temps do, and that took 8-9 seconds.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #24
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

I'll have to dig up more later, but here's a log of my MSM on a mustang dyno a few months ago:


looks like it actually went down during the pull, and then hovered up after. it was about 80-85* in there, it went down to 95* during pull, then went up to 100*.

So...like 20 delta?
And this is with a insect sized snail huffing through straw sized piping, I was actually expecting it to blow molten lava
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Undertray Extractor Design Question-iat.png  
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

<p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Coolant temps are rock solid, I don't think I need a better radiator. AITs are what I want lower.
</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Your coolant temps are rock solid because you have the IC tucked up inside the nose and not blocking any airflow to it.</p><p>That's also why your IAT's are high. If you want lower IAT's, lower the IC into the airstream, and suck it up that the rad will now have to work much harder to cool the engine.</p>

Last edited by richyvrlimited; 07-06-2015 at 10:28 AM.
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #26
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Rear Undertray Extractor Design Question-80-curbofdeath_4c2c9fb545dd4595fd74ea527591a78fe7b8f379.png  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #27
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 46
Default

I was playing the v-mount question off some engineers at PWR (now C&R radiators). Just to get their thoughts on the design. Right after i said "v mount" i got a eyes rolling to the back of the head and a "uuuuggghhhh" noise was groaned. As it turns out to get the maximum amount of efficiency out of a radiator you want the airflow to travel straight threw the fins. the idea is to Keep the air speed as high as you can. You don't want to force the air to take a 90* turn first.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyvrlimited View Post
<p></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Your coolant temps are rock solid because you have the IC tucked up inside the nose and not blocking any airflow to it.</p><p>That's also why your IAT's are high. If you want lower IAT's, lower the IC into the airstream, and suck it up that the rad will now have to work much harder to cool the engine.</p>
I need to test this again. I did it that way originally, but I still had the a/c condenser up front back then. Maybe there's a middle-spot that will balance cooling to both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRacing View Post
I was playing the v-mount question off some engineers at PWR (now C&R radiators). Just to get their thoughts on the design. Right after i said "v mount" i got a eyes rolling to the back of the head and a "uuuuggghhhh" noise was groaned. As it turns out to get the maximum amount of efficiency out of a radiator you want the airflow to travel straight threw the fins. the idea is to Keep the air speed as high as you can. You don't want to force the air to take a 90* turn first.
Interesting.

See I've wondered about this. I've looked at the heat exchanger layout on A LOT of cars and pics online, and almost nobody does a v-mount type layout. Mercedes does the bottom mount exchanger for an oil cooler on my C63.

But OEMs don't use bar/plate IC's either, yet those are common in the aftermarket world too. I have seen high powered cars with the heat exchangers leaned at an angle though, there are several cars I've seen do that, even some OEMs (new viper does it about 30* off of vertical, corvettes do it). But it's more like 30* off not 90 as you are talking about.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 121
Total Cats: 6
Default

If you're just concerned with drag racing then spray some meth, IAT problems solved.
tyhackman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
No I'm talking about drag racing, come on you know me! So say from a stop, with everything just idling, and I haul *** down the 1/4 mile. That's about the most I'm going to beat on it. I just made up 11 seconds but it would be something like that maybe 12.

I often run 1/8 mile but 1/4 mile will be tougher temps to deal with of course and I want it to handle that too. I was just looking at datalogs of 1-2-3-and grab 4th pulls I've done to get an idea of what air temps do, and that took 8-9 seconds.
a short burst like that is a walk in the park.
pretty much any config should have no problem with it.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #31
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
a short burst like that is a walk in the park.
pretty much any config should have no problem with it.
Well not any config, cause the current one doesn't like it even at 23 PSI. And I don't think any config is going to take 30 PSI from a SC and have no problem to be honest. This isn't your wastegate pressure turbo kit on a stock engine.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.