Help with Map and Baro settings (TunerStudio with MS1v3 on hr11d firmware)? - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to   Members

MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 2
Default Help with Map and Baro settings (TunerStudio with MS1v3 on hr11d firmware)?

After a fair amount of searching this forum and playing around in TunerStudio, I've finally come to a point where I think I just need to ask a few questions.

I recently installed a second 250kPa sensor as per the instructions found in the "MS add-on" thread and for the most part things seem to be working correctly: When baro correction is enabled and set to take its value from x7 (JS5), I can tweak the corrections table in EasyTherm5 and after flashing the MS I can view the respective changes for BaroCorrection in TunerStudio.

However, I have noticed recently that my map sensor seems to be reading slightly lower than before. Previously it had read 101 kPa dead on when the car is off. I am essentially at sea level and according to the local weather station the barometric pressure is currently 101.5 kPa at 35 feet above sea level, however my map sensor reads a pressure of 98 kPa. I realize that this is only a slight miscalibration, but it still bothers me and I was hoping to fix it. According to some of what I've read, there should be a setting in the HR11 code (which I am using) to do such calibrations.
From this MAP Sensor Calibration thread:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
The high-res 11 versions have a % baro mode that does what you're asking about.
I can't seem to find this % baro mode in TunerStudio though. Any hints/guidance?

Also, while playing around, I closed and then re-opened TunerStudio while the car was running. When it re-opened, it seems to have taken its barometer value reading from the primary map sensor and not from the secondary sensor that I installed for barometric correction, and as far as I can tell it does not update from the second sensor to correct the value. Is this just a quirk of the TunerStudio software or does it seem likely that I have somehow botched the installation of the secondary sensor? The BaroADC value seems to stay pretty constant (flickering between 92-93) and not fluctuate with the throttle, which I would think indicates that the 2nd sensor is installed and working properly, but I'm concerned that the Barometer value itself doesn't seem directly related to the BaroADC value.

Pertinent information:
MS1 v3.0, parallel install in stock '97 NA 1.8
Dual 250kPa sensors, with the appropriate caps and resistor installed and the second sensor output to JS5
MSnSE hr11d firmware
TunerStudio MS 1.14.1
Baro correction turned on in "Engine Constants", and Constant Baro fitted to X7 in "Barometric Correction" settings.
jnshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 2

I started thinking that maybe something had gone awry while I was building the circuit, but I've just double-checked it and everything appears to be in order as far as the hardware goes. Anyone familiar enough with this modification to help me troubleshoot?

I plugged the MS into my stim and used a small hose to test each sensor. They are both working, because each reacts appropriately when I blow into the respective sensor. I also tried turning the MS off and on while blowing into the MAP sensor, and the BARO reading seemed unaffected. Likewise the BARO was unaffected when I went from OFFLINE mode to online mode in TunerStudio while blowing into the MAP sensor, so I'm not sure why my BARO was reading vacuum the other day when I closed and re-opened TunerStudio while the car was running. I will probably have to do some further testing to make sure that it was just a fluke or quirk of the TunerStudio software.

Everything seems to be working properly now. Not sure if there was some sort of problem getting the settings to stick in the software or what, but it all operates as it should now. The only quirk is that it reads a couple of kPa lower than it really is, which I suppose I can live with.

I'd still appreciate some guidance in re-calibrating the MAP sensor in TunerStudio though. Any suggestions?

Last edited by jnshk; 10-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.
jnshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
Braineack's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 69,682
Total Cats: 1,362

(Posting from my phone.)

Reading doesn't matter as much as the operation.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 04:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 03:00 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 03:23 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 09:30 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 12:45 AM

baro, calibration, map, ms1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.