f20c engine conversion - Page 21 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #401
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

I have not done a lot of research in the 5 lug conversion but if I remember correctly the s2000 and the 88-91 RX7 have a very similar rear. I am not 100% but I believe you would be able to run the 88-91 rx7 axles if you go the rout of the rx7 spindles. They are the same length of the miata and have the same spline count as a 1.8l rear and I think the S2k has the same splines as well. I will see if I can find the info from before. I have the RX7 turbo II rear and it was either that or the S2K rear, so I did do a good bit of research into it. Good luck with the swap I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Also look into modifying the older Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe spindles for a good lug pattern they did not look that hard to modify in.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #402
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Schwarzenberg, Germany
Posts: 1,497
Total Cats: 81
Default

If you want a 17" 4x100 wheel - go for the OZ ultraleggera - the lightest 17" wheel available over here. Looking good on the Miata too.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #403
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I have not done a lot of research in the 5 lug conversion but if I remember correctly the s2000 and the 88-91 RX7 have a very similar rear. I am not 100% but I believe you would be able to run the 88-91 rx7 axles if you go the rout of the rx7 spindles. They are the same length of the miata and have the same spline count as a 1.8l rear and I think the S2k has the same splines as well. I will see if I can find the info from before. I have the RX7 turbo II rear and it was either that or the S2K rear, so I did do a good bit of research into it. Good luck with the swap I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Also look into modifying the older Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe spindles for a good lug pattern they did not look that hard to modify in.
Good news!! Thanks Sean, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
If you want a 17" 4x100 wheel - go for the OZ ultraleggera - the lightest 17" wheel available over here. Looking good on the Miata too.
Thank you, okay,there are some 4x100 17" wheels, but the widest I have seen is 7", and that just won't get it done. So if anyone knows of a good 17" wheel in 4x100 and 9 inch wide let me know. It would be nice to have a 4x100 wheel choice.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #404
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron340 View Post
Just to chip my 2 pence in the bucket.. I think I'd look at having wheels custom made and/or some combination of spacers or something before doing a 5 lug conversion.
I will look into it, but I like the idea of being able to pick up a new wheel on short notice if needed. Also, even though I don't plan on tracking the car, it would be nice to have a spare set with track rubber if I want.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #405
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 89
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post

Thank you, okay,there are some 4x100 17" wheels, but the widest I have seen is 7", and that just won't get it done. So if anyone knows of a good 17" wheel in 4x100 and 9 inch wide let me know. It would be nice to have a 4x100 wheel choice.
at that kinda size, ur either looking at a re-drill from 5x114.3, most likely a RX8/350Z size, or custom 2/3 piece wheels

off the top of my head, there's no 17s in 4x100 that goes beyond 8 inch unless its 2 or 3 piece, i really think there's no market for it
kyriian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #406
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Total Cats: 0
Default

Why would you want a s2000 rear end? There very weak and break on these cars all the time if you try to launch it. I would invest in a 8.8 if you want to have fun.
Under_Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #407
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Also did you look into Diamond racing wheels I belive they make a 15X10 but they are steel. They look good but I know you want 17" just another option on the table.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #408
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 907
Total Cats: 0
Default

Did nobody see my last post???
johnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #409
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmatt View Post
Did nobody see my last post???
Yes I did, thank you for the lead, but the lip on both those wheels scream cr.net. They just are not the look I am going for. I will need to crunch the numbers and figure out the cost involved in custom wheels vs 5 lug conversion.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #410
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 579
Total Cats: 12
Default

Yeah.. I'm no more help. SSR makes a 16x9.5 that I think would work great for you, but they are true 3 piece forged wheels and are over 2k for a set.
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #411
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Ever consider some sort of euro 5 lug swap? The euro crowd always seems to be rocking insane wheels, 17x10, 16x9, etc and there's tons of porsche wheels in those sizes too. Just something to think about.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #412
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gay Area, CA
Posts: 220
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Ever consider some sort of euro 5 lug swap? The euro crowd always seems to be rocking insane wheels, 17x10, 16x9, etc and there's tons of porsche wheels in those sizes too. Just something to think about.
I think a 5-lug swap is best too if your set on wide 17 or 16"s.

Something like an FD hub conversion would be great, but there are strong, cheap 4 to 5 lug adapters.
Motorsport Technology is reputable & can make four 5x114.3 adapters for $360. They'd be 54.1mm hub/wheel centric 2-piece billet aluminum.
The bleh part is they add 35mm spacing... Widebody/big flares would be a must at that point.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/4DCGI...a_err_ymm.html

Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #413
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Just a small update here. I decided that it would be a good idea to thin out the mazda engine management wires and airbag wires from the harness. What a pita. On the plus side, the quirk my car had where the ds headlight would only raise or lower it the high beams were activated, is fixed. They work like stock again.

Next on the agenda are valve retainers and keepers. The AP1 retainers have been known to crack and drop valves with over revs, without warning. The last time I checked they were good, but at only $100, it is cheap insurance to go with the AP2 retainers.

On a side note, I recently got into a dick measuring contest with a Viper SRT, 60mph roll and pulled on the guy, he guy turned out to be pretty cool. We pulled over after our run and I popped the hood for him, he broke out his phone snapped a few pics, I answered a few questions, we shook hands and parted ways. It's nice when you run into "real" car guys.

Not sure where my pics went of the wiring mess, but you have all seen harnesses pulled apart before.

On my quest for 4x100, 17x9 wheels I may be getting panasports blanks drilled. I have a buddy that is a panasport dealer and am going to talk with him about the possibility of going that route. I would talk with Emilio but the 17 inch 6ul comes with to shallow a back space.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #414
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

Panasports on the NA are absolutely sweet IMO. Big and wide is just the cherry on top.

You said that spindle sleeve "slips on" - I assume it's at least pressed on, right? Nice simple solution.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #415
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post
I would talk with Emilio but the 17 inch 6ul comes with to shallow a back space.
Not if you got spacers, or got the 5 lug conversion listed above and got the s2k offset. It would actually work out pretty nice.

If you got 4 +63 offset rims with 35 MM spacers would come out to a +32mm offset. Would be perfect fit.
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #416
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
If you want a 17" 4x100 wheel - go for the OZ ultraleggera - the lightest 17" wheel available over here. Looking good on the Miata too.
guessing you've never heard of the all mighty RPF1....
spd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #417
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Panasports look awesome on a miata in any size.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #418
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 579
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post
Next on the agenda are valve retainers and keepers. The AP1 retainers have been known to crack and drop valves with over revs, without warning.
Seen the carnage of this first hand. A customer at work has a built boosted AP1 that he over revved and blew a retainer out. Luckily the broken valve caught in the guide and didn't drop into the cylinder. All of the retainers were cracking and fracturing around the edges. The keepers on the other hand were perfectly fine. No stress fractures or anything. On the flip-side, this particular guy beats the living hell out of his car, and I wouldn't be surprised if that engine saw 12k.
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #419
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Panasports on the NA are absolutely sweet IMO. Big and wide is just the cherry on top.

You said that spindle sleeve "slips on" - I assume it's at least pressed on, right? Nice simple solution.
They are pressed on. Still working on solutions for the rear,
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #420
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd579 View Post
guessing you've never heard of the all mighty RPF1....
One of the wheels I looked at, however, in 17's they don't come wider than 7" in 4x100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Panasports look awesome on a miata in any size.
Still working on the panasport solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron340 View Post
Seen the carnage of this first hand. A customer at work has a built boosted AP1 that he over revved and blew a retainer out. Luckily the broken valve caught in the guide and didn't drop into the cylinder. All of the retainers were cracking and fracturing around the edges. The keepers on the other hand were perfectly fine. No stress fractures or anything. On the flip-side, this particular guy beats the living hell out of his car, and I wouldn't be surprised if that engine saw 12k.
They got lucky, it is fairly straight forward procedure, and is the classic ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Buzzing from driver side of engine bay? (MS3 install) nick470 MEGAsquirt 7 06-16-2017 02:53 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.