1.6L 2560r record attempt - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6L 2560r record attempt

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
  #21  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 3,063
Total Cats: 158
Default

I see pics! The site must have taken some time for them to be visable. Anyways, looks good. Water pump will make a few ponies.

Any cylinder head and cam work?
miata2fast is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
  #22  
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (24)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,116
Total Cats: 247
Default

Intake manifold?
viperormiata is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
  #23  
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,708
Total Cats: 270
Default

Yeah, scoop up that flipzide intake manifold Zabac was selling!
Fireindc is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
  #24  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

except its for 1.8
18psi is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 882
Total Cats: 56
Default

Liking the work. Although I also was on the hate wagon It was nothing personal and I am very interested in the results as well. subbed.
krissetsfire is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM
  #26  
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,708
Total Cats: 270
Default

Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
except its for 1.8
Doh, i totally spaced on that.

I've seen a few 1.6 intake manifolds in the last few months, i'm pretty sure they are all sold at this point though. Keep an eye out though, it's likely you'll find someone upgrading to a 1.8 and dumping baller 1.6 parts for cheap.
Fireindc is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #27  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,294
Total Cats: 81
Default

Narrow runner long tube you say. Using 1.25" steam pipe rather than the normal 1.5"?
Leafy is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM
  #28  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 391
Total Cats: 3
Default

This may have been covered, but why not 1.8? They are like $500.

Good luck. I admire the fact that you post this stuff on here. Usually, people who work on cool stuff try to keep secrets.
3rdCarMX5 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
  #29  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 50
Default

Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
I see pics! The site must have taken some time for them to be visable. Anyways, looks good. Water pump will make a few ponies.

Any cylinder head and cam work?
Yeah its been ported, big valves and some 270ish cams with solid lifters etc.

Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
Intake manifold?
Stock, stock throttle body.

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Narrow runner long tube you say. Using 1.25" steam pipe rather than the normal 1.5"?
Yeah, this manifold isnt designed to break the 2560 record, its for midrange, however I hope to break it anyway, and if we arent happy with this design we can go for 1.5" and sell this one.

Originally Posted by 3rdCarMX5 View Post
This may have been covered, but why not 1.8? They are like $500.

Good luck. I admire the fact that you post this stuff on here. Usually, people who work on cool stuff try to keep secrets.
Thanks, Its already full built, its what we have got.

Dann
nitrodann is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM
  #30  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 50
Default

The muffler just arrived, this is the biggest magnaflow you can fit under an MX5.

Its just huge.

28 inches long, 5 inches tall and 11 inches wide.

I sure hope this is the right one and that it can actually fit, it sure wasnt cheap..



Dann
Attached Thumbnails 1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130111_112452.jpg  
nitrodann is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
  #31  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

its what most of us run, it easily fits, and its pretty cheap

also I'm sorry but you're not upgrading to 1.8 because you have a built 1.6, making it sound like its a budget issue, yet talk about running an efr, and constantly making and re-making manifolds/setups for this car.

what am I just not understanding that would justify this complete lack of tactic?
18psi is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
  #32  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

sorry man, you're just not impressing anyone.....yet.

and I say this with no offense

at the end of the day, even if this thing makes the power goals, there will be guys in greece making like 400+ on a 1.6 and you're still not impressing anyone.

why not go for a 1.8, giant turbo, and possibly achieve what Faeflora failed trying so many times? Go for "the ultimate record"


*EDIT: and I'm just stirring the pot/thinking out loud here, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.
18psi is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  #33  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 50
Default

No no, thats cool and a fair point.

For me this is just a challenge for myself, a chance to test my skills. To build something that other people havnt whether from lack of trying or not.
Being able to get a really efficient setup tuned really well is a good challenge and a way to learn IMO.

The reason I havnt just thrown a fully prep'd 1.8 at it and a huge turbo is because the point of the car is to go and run supersprint days (time attack style) and then go and do mountain runs on the weekends. The budget isn't unlimited thats for sure. however to go up in turbo size means spending at least 1400 dollars, might as well make it 2000 and get an EFR.

The car was purchased with suspension, 6 pots, built 1.6, cage etc etc
From here the best way to 350whp odd and the quickest street rego's circuit mx5 in the country doesnt involve a 1.8L and a S366.

Regarding making and remaking manifolds, the owner is a mate of mine so If he isnt happy he can resell what I build for what I charge him, because he gets it cheap. Im just happy to have a mule to play with. Im just trying to learn.

Dann
nitrodann is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
  #34  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

Fair enough. Thats probably the best answer I've heard yet. I'm glad you didn't say "I just want to be different"
lol
18psi is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
  #35  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 50
Default

Did this today also. It's an msm. Yay a win for the 1.8 harassment crew.













Yep, it fits in the factory location -almost- perfectly.

It will need some clever routing of fittings and some skilled fabrication but it looks great!

Very very excited.

Dann
Attached Thumbnails 1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135720.jpg   1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135725.jpg   1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135732.jpg   1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135748.jpg   1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135753.jpg  

1.6L 2560r record attempt-20130113_135950.jpg  
nitrodann is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 AM
  #36  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

wow that is really cool.....props
18psi is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM
  #37  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 50
Default

I'm not sure if America has this phrase but..

This ain't my first rodeo.

Dann
nitrodann is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 AM
  #38  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,598
Total Cats: 968
Default

At first I was like "turbo no hit steering shaft?" Then remembered ,,ɐılɐɹʇsn∀,,

Good luck with the build, looks like its gonna be a fun one
EO2K is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 AM
  #39  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

lolol my thoughts exactrly
18psi is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
  #40  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eureka, Ca
Posts: 149
Total Cats: -21
Default

Very interesting build. Well be a fun car to drive on track and get some payback on all the miata haters.
You do nice work dann.
old school is offline  

Quick Reply: 1.6L 2560r record attempt


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.