Absurdflow Low Mount (A/C P/S friendly) - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
I have a thermostat housing from some random car in the junkyard that made a pretty neat water pump inlet. Tapped it for a 1/8 pipe to 5/16 barb for the throttle body return.

I'm pretty sure you could take a standard Miata lower radiator hose, cut and splice it in the middle (like Begi does anyway) and get to the standard Miata lower radiator point from there. Total cost is about $10, not counting the hose. I have a Volvo radiator, so I had to go across the front of the engine to the pass. side.

I'm digging your manifold. Already pointed Dr. Turbo to this thread and told him to give you money.
Yeah...this is sounding more obvious as I think about it. Once I install the BEGI piece I'll know for sure how much it is worth in time & grief, but thanks for the heads up.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Mmmm, nice. How much do you think it would be if you built one for a fellow enthusiast?
This manifold? I am charging around $650 for it (mild steel sch. 40). It will require a lot of work however...not just this BEGI piece to handle the coolant line issue, but I have to redo the internal WG flapper arm, run the I/C pipe thru the fender, and get creative with the air filter/turbo inlet plumbing (car has to pass OBD2 emissions, getting a megasquirt in parallel by PAUL).

However the entire kit installed (18x12x3 core bar/plate intercooler) is costing this buyer less than a BEGI S3 kit's retail price. He's also getting the BEGI cast intake with 70mm mustang TB & one of my full 3" exhausts with metal core cat...gonna be pretty slick.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I have to redo the internal WG flapper arm, run the I/C pipe thru the fender, and get creative with the air filter/turbo inlet plumbing (car has to pass OBD2 emissions, getting a megasquirt in parallel by PAUL).
I've had to address all these issues, too, as I'm doing a low-mount WRX turbo with A/C and PS. The WG flapper arm was too close to the steering shaft until I rocked it upward, and that is going to require short-radius elbows.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

More pics. Awaiting customer's car from Paul, hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

http://www.absurdflow.com/acpst2.html







TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

damn dude, looks like you have lots and lots of work. I'm glad i got in when I did.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

This is going to be Ed's setup?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #27
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
damn dude, looks like you have lots and lots of work. I'm glad i got in when I did.
I'm not doing your stuff until this is done, lotza stuff still to do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
This is going to be Ed's setup?
This is Ed's stuff, yes.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Any chance at all for a 1.6 version?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #29
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'm not doing your stuff until this is done, lotza stuff still to do too.


This is Ed's stuff, yes.
I assume you'll have more after me. I got in just in time to drive my car at hallett.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
Any chance at all for a 1.6 version?
Sure, but you are on your own for making a downpipe. I do not have a 1.6 car to verify fitment.

There is A LOT of custom stuff that needs to be done to make this fit and clear the air conditioning and power steering.

I found out that ed's ABS car has the windshield washer tank in the inner fender (where I want to run the intercooler pipe) and the filler neck goes right where the intercooler sits on 98% of our cars.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I assume you'll have more after me.
More what? V-band stuff? We'll see. I doubt I'll ever do another one of these full-on top-shelf turbo kits/installed again though.
Quote:
I got in just in time to drive my car at hallett.
Huh?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I found out that ed's ABS car has the windshield washer tank in the inner fender (where I want to run the intercooler pipe) and the filler neck goes right where the intercooler sits on 98% of our cars.
NB washer tank is back on the passenger-side fender. Or is that where the ABS block lives?

Sounds like a trip to the pick-your-part is in order. Somewhere, there's probably another car with a tank that will work perfectly.

That's why we are all here in DIY. Ed probably doesn't want to pay Tim for lifting hoods at the junkyard.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #33
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
NB washer tank is back on the passenger-side fender. Or is that where the ABS block lives?

Sounds like a trip to the pick-your-part is in order. Somewhere, there's probably another car with a tank that will work perfectly.

That's why we are all here in DIY. Ed probably doesn't want to pay Tim for lifting hoods at the junkyard.
The ABS manifold is on the passenger side rear fender, near the firewall, right where the NA tank normally is. Booooo.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Sure, but you are on your own for making a downpipe. I do not have a 1.6 car to verify fitment.

There is A LOT of custom stuff that needs to be done to make this fit and clear the air conditioning and power steering.

I found out that ed's ABS car has the windshield washer tank in the inner fender (where I want to run the intercooler pipe) and the filler neck goes right where the intercooler sits on 98% of our cars.

I don't have p/s so that's done, whats with the a/c?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #35
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
I don't have p/s so that's done, whats with the a/c?
The A/C cools the ventilation air. I think.

With the standard orientation manifold (of which Sav's v-band is based), it'd be a real bitch (impossible?) to get the airfilter-to-turbo pipe there. In order to fit it with the A/C compressor on Ed's car (this thread), I had to put the turbo back a few inches and rotate it a few degrees.

A 1.6 version of the manifold in this thread (A/C friendly) is sorta a guess...not sure where the 1.6 engine exhaust ports are in relation to the 1.8. It's pretty tight, a few degrees or half an inch off any direction and you'd be into things that don't bend easily.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Renton Washington
Posts: 1,742
Total Cats: 3
Default

I could possibly make one. Not to rain on your parade or anything Tim.
SKMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #37
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Would anyone happen to have any dyno graphs or logs with actual spool reduction with this manifold?

I looked through the spool thread, but the only accurate comparison is back to back, same car, same pull/dyno.

Last edited by Nagase; 08-24-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Would anyone happen to have any dyno graphs or logs with actual spool reduction with this manifold?

I looked through the spool thread, but the only accurate comparison is back to back, same car, same pull/dyno.
first off, this manifold has only been built once and the car is at pauls getting tuned. Not dyno'ed yet.

So you are looking for someone to change out an entire turbo setup at a dyno day? Right. The best that was done was an intake manifold swap.

From the spool thread, which is the best data available:


You can also page thru here, for the same car with different setups (Paul's cars), all on same dyno.

Index of /dynoruns
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #39
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Oh, more photos. Odd I didn't take one of the engine bay...I coulda swore I did, probably in another camera.









TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #40
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
first off, this manifold has only been built once and the car is at pauls getting tuned. Not dyno'ed yet.

So you are looking for someone to change out an entire turbo setup at a dyno day? Right. The best that was done was an intake manifold swap.
Hey, I'm just looking for a quantifiable reason to buy your manifold instead of someone else's... I know it looks nice, but it's too expensive to buy because it's shiny.

I'm not saying it's no good, I just like actual hard data, and if you did post up some hard data by dynoing your own manifold to someone else's, you can prove its worth, and that would be a great selling point for you, might make more money. I like your manifold.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.