Just got a turbo kit & I have a few questions! - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #61
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

HI sorry for the dumb question, but I was re-reading maximum boost today and I was looking @ the last chapter "miata turbo install". I was looking @ the part where he filled the compressor reservoir with aircraft turbine oil...but he pulled off a small plug, grommet, or bolt from the compressor side and filled it with 120 cc of oil. Was I supposed to do this, sorry I am new, I thought the only oil was supposed to run through the middle "feed & return lines". Please lmk if I was supposed to fill it. I don't see any of the plugs like on the turbocharger in the book. Thanks for the help...here is a new picture, sorry I still need to reroute stuff. Today was just an easy day of replacing the VC gasket and painting it.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #62
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

looks good but i see no WI nozzle I hioe you get it all together soon.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #63
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,329
Default

6psi on 330cc injectors and a stock ECU, and now you have oil and smoke from the tailpipe... I really hope you need an oil feed restrictor and not a new motor.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #64
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
looks good but i see no WI nozzle I hioe you get it all together soon.
thanks, yah the WI nozzle is a little bit higher than the BOV, I will try to get some pictures after work.

Savington, my motor runs fine, I haven't got to do a leakdown or compression test after installation, but honestly it is pushing great still. Also I am runing the stock injectors now and hardly get any lag, mind you this is before WI. I am only pushing approximately 4 psi, this is due to the fact that I have a huge BOV leak. This should be resolved by a buddy of mine getting me a TT BOV. I do beleive it is a restrictor. After the first day or two the blue smoke stopped. Sometime but very rarely I will get some smoke above the turbo, "I believe it is the seal by DP". I plan on doing a rebuild soon. Thanks for all your help guys... but can anyone answer my question about filling the compressor reservoir with aircraft turbine...thank you
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
HI sorry for the dumb question, but I was re-reading maximum boost today and I was looking @ the last chapter "miata turbo install". I was looking @ the part where he filled the compressor reservoir with aircraft turbine oil...but he pulled off a small plug, grommet, or bolt from the compressor side and filled it with 120 cc of oil. Was I supposed to do this, sorry I am new, I thought the only oil was supposed to run through the middle "feed & return lines". Please lmk if I was supposed to fill it. I don't see any of the plugs like on the turbocharger in the book. Thanks for the help...here is a new picture, sorry I still need to reroute stuff. Today was just an easy day of replacing the VC gasket and painting it.
That was a very special turbo called the Aerodyne... It has gone the way of the dinosaur. Just make sure you've primed the oil fed center section with a bit of motor oil and life will be just cherry.
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #66
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

http://www.aerocharger.com/
Version 2.0 is out.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #67
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
That was a very special turbo called the Aerodyne... It has gone the way of the dinosaur. Just make sure you've primed the oil fed center section with a bit of motor oil and life will be just cherry.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. LOL it had a crazy compressor look.
Going to get MS...is anyone selling one used... I WTB

CAS
MS "going on 99, with 330's on a t25, but I could always remap"
Boomslang.

If you have any of the following or see any good deals please lmk. I think I will just buy the MS off of the 2 mods who are selling them unless I can get one used. Thanks guys...
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #68
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think my compressor blades are hitting the walls, I am getting a clicking noise out of my turbine area...I will check it later today after work, would it be better just to find a new t25 or rebuild it if the fins are bent?
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #69
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Compressor wheels aren't cheap but you might be able to source one. Rebuild kit and new compressor wheel will cost about as much as I usually find good used T25s for. ($100-150)
What are the specs on your turbo, i might have something for you.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #70
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Compressor wheels aren't cheap but you might be able to source one. Rebuild kit and new compressor wheel will cost about as much as I usually find good used T25s for. ($100-150)
What are the specs on your turbo, i might have something for you.
I have no idea, I was told it was a t25, and it looks like all the t25's I have seen, but as for what kind I am unsure. I don't know if its off a DSM or Volvo or anything...I will try to get some better pictures today "see top of this page for a picture you can kind of see it". I believe it bolts up to the manifold with two studs/nut & two bolts. The DP connects to the the turbo via a three bolt triangular flange that can rotate & pushed the DP to match the port. I wish I knew more, I have to drive it home from work today and I will try to get some pictures.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #71
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 858
Total Cats: 0
Default

a DSM t25 isnt going to have nearly the capabilities of a Nissan T25
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #72
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS13 View Post
a DSM t25 isnt going to have nearly the capabilities of a Nissan T25
I will look into that if I need a new turbo, but can you tell which one it is from the picture?
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #73
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

From the picture i can't tell. Garrett T25s standard flange is a square 4 bolt inlet with 5 bolt outlet. The mitsu ones have a round port inlet i believe that has a 4 bolt pattern as well. The outlet might also be different. A 3 bolt inlet tells me it might be a WRX turbo.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #74
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
From the picture i can't tell. Garrett T25s standard flange is a square 4 bolt inlet with 5 bolt outlet. The mitsu ones have a round port inlet i believe that has a 4 bolt pattern as well. The outlet might also be different. A 3 bolt inlet tells me it might be a WRX turbo.
Sorry for my terms if they are wrong, I am still getting used to it. But I believe I am trying to say that the inlet flange is a t25 and the Turbine housing to DP is a flange is a triangular that holds a perfectly cylindrical pipe to the housing. Damn I cannot find a similar picture online, I get off work in about an hour and I will try to post pictures tonight. Thanks
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #75
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

hey, if you are ever around west hollywood, stop by and ill help you with this install
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #76
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 858
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
I will look into that if I need a new turbo, but can you tell which one it is from the picture?
oh i didnt see the picture. pretty sure thats a Nissan. A DSM turbo won't be interchangeable.
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoot View Post
hey, if you are ever around west hollywood, stop by and ill help you with this install
Sounds awesome, I only live approximately 20 minutes away with no traffic.

In regards to the outlet I am officially retarded...I never really looked at it until today. It is a normal 5 bolt outlet but it has an adapter to connect to a three bolt pipe. here is a picture.

As you can see the three bolt crap mounts up to a five bolt flange. I don't know if this is normal but I haven't see it before. Anyways I am getting a weird noise when I drive the car...the turbo makes a slight screeching grinding noise. I don't know if it is the blades hitting the housing because shaft play seemed minimal. After a while "approximately 15 minutes of driving it went away"...I will try to get a video clip of it.thanks
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

If the turbo is screeching your blades are hitting the housing which is never good.
That is the smallest picture you could have possibly uploaded. It looks like a common adapter, nothing special. Also looks like a HKS manifold which means it's a standard T25. That turbo might still be usuable, it just won't be quite as efficient. You could rebuild it for around $50-80 with a kit from gpopshop.com. Or have them rebuild it. Or buy another used turbo.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #79
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
If the turbo is screeching your blades are hitting the housing which is never good.
That is the smallest picture you could have possibly uploaded. It looks like a common adapter, nothing special. Also looks like a HKS manifold which means it's a standard T25. That turbo might still be usuable, it just won't be quite as efficient. You could rebuild it for around $50-80 with a kit from gpopshop.com. Or have them rebuild it. Or buy another used turbo.
I checked the blades & they look fine...after about 10 minutes of driving this morning it went away. I purchased a rebuild kit last night and plan to do it for the weekend. Can anyone reccommend a site that has t25 rebuilding specs. I have found a few, but can anyone source a very valid rebuild page...thank you
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Look in the archives on this forum. There is a How to rebuild a T25 and how to rebuild a T3. Between those two writeups you should be able to figure it out.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.