Just got a turbo kit & I have a few questions! - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #121
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

13:1-14:1 in boost is asking for trouble. Have fun with it while it lasts
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #122
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
I'm going to wait for someone else to back me up, but I really don't think 13.5:1 AFRs in boost are safe, regardless of power levels or detonation.
I agree that it is lean, but for the time being boosting only 6 psi (also I hardly boost my car, only for onramps and such) I believe it is safe. Prior to adding the WI my car registered higher A/F than that. I should mention that I maybe only hit boost commuting maybe like 10 times in 20 miles, and the duration is limited. I think that is the reason for me seeing the issue not as severely as you guys. Plus I grandma my car most the time , I don't see a need to stop driving the car, but next time I think of pushing it I will remember these posts. Thanks for the insight and I will update this thread with my A/F when I get MS up and running.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #123
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego to LA, CA
Posts: 297
Total Cats: 0
Default

just build your MS this weekend at my place and you will have no worries =P
91NApeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #124
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

this thread reminds me of every episode of the old Warner Bros Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner Cartoon.. 99NBMia is Wile E this is his scam to sneak up on Boost (The Road Runner)..

At this point Wile E. has the fuse lit on a huge keg of black powder.
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #125
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: worcester ma
Posts: 1,124
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
this thread reminds me of every episode of the old Warner Bros Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner Cartoon.. 99NBMia is Wile E this is his scam to sneak up on Boost (The Road Runner)..

At this point Wile E. has the fuse lit on a huge keg of black powder.
BOOM!
urgaynknowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #126
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
this thread reminds me of every episode of the old Warner Bros Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner Cartoon.. 99NBMia is Wile E this is his scam to sneak up on Boost (The Road Runner)..

At this point Wile E. has the fuse lit on a huge keg of black powder.
Yah and that short fuse has been in the same place for a couple of months now and oddly isn't burning any closer to its finale...
Its funny how people come in say things and have no facts to back up their statements. Sorry if someone gets offended by this, but you are giving false information that my set up is just a disaster waiting to happen, you are posting invalid information which other people are reading. I have yet to see any decrease in reliability or anything else. If you would like me to check anything else to help prove your point, I am more then open to suggestions on what to check (don't even say pull the head to check the pistons I am already short on time due to rewiring a old 240z from scratch, going to school, and working full time) .
I love the fact that my stock management has produced the same #'s in compression and leak down test prior to boosting and now.
I thank everyone who has given me any information to help me get on my way with my first FI set up (even if they think my set up will soon explode in diaster). I hope to get my MS running soon to make tuning applicable to my set up. I am in no way ungrateful for people's help, but ignorant opinions are a waste of time for those who are short on it.
P.S. I believe my A/F #'s may be a bit off due to an exhaust leak pre WB sensor...Thanks

Last edited by 99NBMia; 04-02-2008 at 04:46 AM.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #127
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
Yah and that short fuse has been in the same place for a couple of months now and oddly isn't burning any closer to its finale...
Its funny how people come in say things and have no facts to back up their statements. Sorry if someone gets offended by this, but you are giving false information that my set up is just a disaster waiting to happen, you are posting invalid information which other people are reading. I have yet to see any decrease in reliability or anything else. If you would like me to check anything else to help prove your point, I am more then open to suggestions on what to check (don't even say pull the head to check the pistons I am already short on time due to rewiring a old 240z from scratch, going to school, and working full time) .
I love the fact that my stock management has produced the same #'s in compression and leak down test prior to boosting and now.
I thank everyone who has given me any information to help me get on my way with my first FI set up (even if they think my set up will soon explode in diaster). I hope to get my MS running soon to make tuning applicable to my set up. I am in no way ungrateful for people's help, but ignorant opinions are a waste of time for those who are short on it.
P.S. I believe my A/F #'s may be a bit off due to an exhaust leak pre WB sensor...Thanks
The facts are that your numbers are off and you have stated that the reason it still running is because you are driving it easy.. so don't sit there and act like what you are doing is the right approach.. it's stupid and a time bomb..

Why worry about engine management if it's done right the way it is?
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #128
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 898
Total Cats: 0
Default

You obviously want to roll the dice. Go for it, its good experimental data for the rest of us. Just be honest if any issues show up. It just seems strange that all of those factory ecu engineers are off base.
rotaryjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #129
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
The facts are that your numbers are off and you have stated that the reason it still running is because you are driving it easy.. so don't sit there and act like what you are doing is the right approach.. it's stupid and a time bomb..

Why worry about engine management if it's done right the way it is?
I never said I was doing it right, hence my purchase of MS-II, but you indeed said it was not safe when I have had no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryjunky View Post
You obviously want to roll the dice. Go for it, its good experimental data for the rest of us. Just be honest if any issues show up. It just seems strange that all of those factory ecu engineers are off base.
I actually don't want to "roll the dice" seeing that this car is daily driven...I want it done right. I will definitely state and issues I have on here, no need to hide anything seeing that I would like to post up nothing but valid information. The factory ECU is indeed made for a NA set up, but it has some wiggle room, I watch my timing retard (via scan guage) as I am driving it...people have to remember that this is an NB not an NA without bipes. I will post up any issues.
I will post any updates as they are made or revealed, but as of now I have no problems. Sorry if I pushed people's buttons, but I just want to make sure all the valid facts are stated...thanks guys
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #130
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
I never said I was doing it right, hence my purchase of MS-II, but you indeed said it was not safe when I have had no issues.
Help me understand if it's safe why you would need aftermarket engine management?

Hammer on it if it's safe. Do it... Do it !!!

MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #131
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
Help me understand if it's safe why you would need aftermarket engine management?

Hammer on it if it's safe. Do it... Do it !!!

I actually have hammered on it, but I am saying that it is safe the way I am driving it (commuting it with little boost), not the way a pissed off retard would drive it. Would you like a video or something of me hammering on it to show you that it is running fine? The aftermarket management is so I can up the boost if wanted, try to tune it for the most power, and gain better economy. So please stop with your damn misguided opinions until you have some facts about my car .
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #132
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
So please stop with your damn misguided opinions until you have some facts about my car .
in some places they would call your car an IED.

Your setup is living on borrowed time. It may make it long enough for you to get the right things in place or it might not. If you can live with that sort of thing then good for you. Most can't or don't want to take that kind of risk.
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #133
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
in some places they would call your car an IED.
*thud
No need to bicker anymore, I will post up results as they come in...thanks for all the help and if you have any questions/suggestions (other than stop driving your car because it is going to die) feel free to post/pm them. Don't worry, if the car does explode/die anytime till MS I will definitely post it, I care more about facts than my Ego. Thanks
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #134
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego to LA, CA
Posts: 297
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
in some places they would call your car an IED.


Isn't your car and everyone else's an IED? I mean what do you think internal combustion does?


99NB, i would just keep driving it. I know tons of ppl that are running turbo on stock management even without R.R.-FPRs and it is working fine. You will have megasquirt soon enough, no worries
91NApeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #135
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91NApeewee View Post
Isn't your car and everyone else's an IED? I mean what do you think internal combustion does?
no.
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #136
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego to LA, CA
Posts: 297
Total Cats: 0
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
no.
I think you were just trying to be a tough guy and dug a hole you couldn't climb out of.
91NApeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #137
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Update:
Started to build the MS but I also sealed up the exhaust leak and cleaned my IM. After I was able to get a steady Idle I have been driving the car. I believe my wastegate is a bit tight and when I really floor it I can saw about 9-10 psi and I backed off (plan to fix this when I get home tonight). Also I have a update on my AFR, I am now showing mid to high 12's/sometimes low 13's in boost. I think the leak was messing with my AFR, I will try to post up a video later, but the camera I use (the one I bought for my lady) is going with her to Dayton Ohio for the week. Thanks for the help guys and I will definitely try to get some evidence to show this.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #138
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Just thought that I should update this thread. I added 3 inch cat back exhaust, with a magnaflow muffler and highflow cat and am in the process and I am in the process of getting the downpipe I received to fit (HKS Manifolds suck for DPs).

The big update is that I finished building MSII (hopefully, still need to figure out the boomslang) and I am all ready to go. Hopefully AbeFM & 91NaPeeWee can help me out this weekend as I go down to San Diego. I have a CAS but hopefully Abe can help me use his method with stock sensors.

Have 2 quick questions...I am just wondering if I should run my 330's after I get my car running with MSII or will I have enough room for 8 psi easily with my stock 99 injectors? I plan to upgrade to probably around 400cc or so later on down the road, but if I can refrain from having to swap those in now, I will be a lot better off.

Lastly (sorry to ask this question, but I am very anxious) does anyone know where I should fall approximately in the power range? I am new to this and am hoping for about 200...
8 psi
t25
FMIC
DO WI
3 Inch exhaust
Hopefully 2.5 - 2.75 DP
and a good tune running the MSII

Thanks & I will update this as soon as I have anymore process.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #139
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
To run MS in your '99 like mine you'll need a 94-97 CAS, no big deal, just another ~$75.
I thought a 90-93 would work also? I've used a 90-93 CAS on a 95 with a stock ECU and a 97 CAS on a 91 with Stock ECU.

Is it not just that a 94-97 is supposed to be better?
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #140
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulak View Post
I thought a 90-93 would work also? I've used a 90-93 CAS on a 95 with a stock ECU and a 97 CAS on a 91 with Stock ECU.

Is it not just that a 94-97 is supposed to be better?
You are correct, I know that Chad knows this as well. The only reason he said 94-up is because that one is better...optical vs. magnetic or something like that. I am too lazy too look it up right now
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.