Re-build the Garrett or just use the Chinacharger? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

View Poll Results: Re-build the Garrett or use the Chinacharger?
Re-build Garrett 14 77.78%
Use Chinacharger 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default Re-build the Garrett or just use the Chinacharger?

Spring is right around the corner so I need to make a decision soon. I've had the chinacharger sitting around since the beginning of last summer and when I finally got around to install it I broke my hand. In another couple weeks I should be able to get the car on a flatbed and down to the shop so I can get going on it.

I trust my Garrett and I know using the eBay one is taking a chance. Knowing how I am, if I put the chinacharger in and it flops I'll probably walk away from the car again. So I'm hesitant on even wasting my time with it. Instead I'm leaning toward sending the Garrett out for a re-build and just cleaning everything up and put it back in. Not to mention I was already happy with how it spooled and the numbers it made. I have no idea how the other one will do.

Name:  tt01.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  76.2 KB

What do you guys suggest? If you choose re-build, please share some places you'd recommend to send it to. Preferably if you have experience with them or know someone that did, not just hearsay. I know of gpopshop but I don't know if there's others that are better. I will stay away from the place I sent one turbo out to. I forget their name and just tried to google "turbo rebuild services" to find them and I cant. They are big with Subaru guys, but they were ******* TERRIBLE when I was dealing with them.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Want fries with that?
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 2,023
Total Cats: -1
Default

Re-build for sure. Send it to me .

Seriously though, I would definitely rebuild the Garrett if you already have it. The price to rebuild it would be worth the advantage over the chinacharger. What size are they? Once you move past the 2560s they really start to go downhill in comparison with genuine units.

The chinachargers are nice, but why not sell it to pay for the rebuild? Sell it to pay for the rebuild and you have a basically new Garrett for the amount you would get for the chinacharger.
rider384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,867
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

pull the internals out of the chinacharger and put in garrett?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider384 View Post
Re-build for sure. Send it to me .

Seriously though, I would definitely rebuild the Garrett if you already have it. The price to rebuild it would be worth the advantage over the chinacharger. What size are they? Once you move past the 2560s they really start to go downhill in comparison with genuine units.

The chinachargers are nice, but why not sell it to pay for the rebuild? Sell it to pay for the rebuild and you have a basically new Garrett for the amount you would get for the chinacharger.
Its funny you posted first. In searching on google I actually found your rebuild post on here.

What you said is almost exactly what I was thinking. Sell the chinacharger to cover the rebuild and some other little extras (desperate need of a new oil drain).
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
pull the internals out of the chinacharger and put in garrett?
Either this^

or put a rivet in the chinacharger to restrict oil flow and run it. I was very pleased with mine until I sold the car. The new owner (who oddly lives about 2 minutes from where I moved recently) is absolutely thrilled with the car. No issues to date, and he drives the **** out of that thing, way harder than I ever did.

Swapping out a turbo is a negligible amount of labor, and I'm certain that the bigger chinacharger will put a grin on your face. The rebuild kit for the garrett is going to be between 90 and 110 bucks, and I'm willing to bet that you'd be able to put that amount of cash together before the chinacharger blew out (if it ever did). Just install the damn thing and keep the garrett around for an emergency.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Wait what are you talking about?

What happened to your garrett? Is it ball bearing? You know the cost for rebuild for your model (if it's ball bearing) is like $450 right? And they don't rebuild, they give you a "like-new" CHRA.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
Either this^

or put a rivet in the chinacharger to restrict oil flow and run it. I was very pleased with mine until I sold the car. The new owner (who oddly lives about 2 minutes from where I moved recently) is absolutely thrilled with the car. No issues to date, and he drives the **** out of that thing, way harder than I ever did.

Swapping out a turbo is a negligible amount of labor, and I'm certain that the bigger chinacharger will put a grin on your face. The rebuild kit for the garrett is going to be between 90 and 110 bucks, and I'm willing to bet that you'd be able to put that amount of cash together before the chinacharger blew out (if it ever did). Just install the damn thing and keep the garrett around for an emergency.
I should also mention that the eBay turbo wasn't exactly a "swap" job. I've taken the damn turbo off so many times now that its like a 15 min job, but the chinacharger is slightly bigger and it was just enough to give me hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Wait what are you talking about?

What happened to your garrett? Is it ball bearing? You know the cost for rebuild for your model (if it's ball bearing) is like $450 right? And they don't rebuild, they give you a "like-new" CHRA.
The Garrett isn't a ball bearing unit. It has some shaft play and I assume it also blew the seal. It was smoking really bad just before I pulled it off the car. Figures that right after I dyno the car and install the ARTech parts the turbo failed. I had enough and walked away from the car. Other things happened that kept me from working on it and its just been sitting since.

This year I will get loose ends buttoned up and have it back on the road again, or I sell it.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,990
Total Cats: 9
Default

Would this be a direct swap or will you have to get another DP?
kenzo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo42 View Post
Would this be a direct swap or will you have to get another DP?
Its going to be a tight fit but I should be able to use the same 3" dp.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

A weekend bump to help me make a decision.

All this rain we're getting will have this ******* snow gone in no time, so I better start making moves now if I want to be driving the car before next winter. lol
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Fab9Tuning's NC MX-5 Turbo Kit Discussion- EFR/Garrett V-Band FAB Prefabbed Turbo Kits 216 03-22-2017 05:00 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
MT detectives, help me ID my old POS turbo AlwaysBroken DIY Turbo Discussion 3 09-21-2015 02:44 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.