Best Methods to cool down motor? (overheating issues) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portales, NM
Posts: 837
Total Cats: 2
Default Best Methods to cool down motor? (overheating issues)

Last track day (my first one) I had some overheating issues, I have another one coming up and the track is longer so I need to be running cool.




Since I am in Arizona would it help me to run 100% water with water wetter in it? Right now I'm running 50% antifreeze I think.



I have a Koyo Radiator, would modding so that both fans run help?


What else can I do that isn't too difficult?



Thanks!

Last edited by jbrown7815; 07-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
jbrown7815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Yes on dumping antifreeze out. I run distilled water and bottle of water wetter.

Also tape off/duct the entire area around the radiator. Ensure that any air that enters the front mount opening... ONLY can get through the radiator.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

I experienced the same my track day a few weeks ago...and mine is pretty much stock, no turbo.

Having the heater on w/ full blower will help some, too.
Deatschwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

on the track, you don't want your fans turning, they will act to block the airflow at track speeds instead of promote airflow. Antifreeze will reduce water's natural 'specific heat' (that is to say: it will reduce waters ability to hold and transfer heat energy) 100% water is better than water/antifreeze mix at transferring that heat from your engine to your radiator any day of the week! (Literally, the ONLY 2 purposes for antifreeze are to A: keep your coolant from freezing, and B: to act as a lubricant which prohibits corrosion) Water wetter will serve to reduce the surface tension of water much like soap does. (Bill nye, the science guy FTMFW!) It is also a corrosion inhibitor. Basically, it will increase the 'speed' at which energy can be transferred from the engine to the water, and then from the water to the radiator.

Your absolute largest gain (if you've got at least average intelligence, then you've done this already) is a coolant reroute.

After that, look for ways of promoting airflow across the heat exchanger. Ducting and Extraction hoods come to mind. Also, you will absolutely want to get rid of any "fan shroud" if you've added one. They're fantastic for the street/autoX, but they prohibit airflow at track speeds. If you've raised the back of your hood (cowl induction?) then put it back down. Mazda put the rubber in there where your hood seals to the rear of your engine bay for a reason. That's a high pressure area and will serve to significantly reduce airflow through your heat exchangers.

Finally; If you've removed the stock miata undertray PUT IT BACK.

That undertray serves to protect the engine and belts from crap coming up from the bottom. In my honest opinion, thats a SIDE EFFECT.

The undertray serves VERY EFFECTIVELY to increase the pressure differential across the heat exchangers. If you don't have the undertray, you've commited thermal suicide.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portales, NM
Posts: 837
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
on the track, you don't want your fans turning, they will act to block the airflow at track speeds instead of promote airflow. Antifreeze will reduce water's natural 'specific heat' (that is to say: it will reduce waters ability to hold and transfer heat energy) 100% water is better than water/antifreeze mix at transferring that heat from your engine to your radiator any day of the week! (Literally, the ONLY 2 purposes for antifreeze are to A: keep your coolant from freezing, and B: to act as a lubricant which prohibits corrosion) Water wetter will serve to reduce the surface tension of water much like soap does. (Bill nye, the science guy FTMFW!) It is also a corrosion inhibitor. Basically, it will increase the 'speed' at which energy can be transferred from the engine to the water, and then from the water to the radiator.

Your absolute largest gain (if you've got at least average intelligence, then you've done this already) is a coolant reroute.

After that, look for ways of promoting airflow across the heat exchanger. Ducting and Extraction hoods come to mind. Also, you will absolutely want to get rid of any "fan shroud" if you've added one. They're fantastic for the street/autoX, but they prohibit airflow at track speeds. If you've raised the back of your hood (cowl induction?) then put it back down. Mazda put the rubber in there where your hood seals to the rear of your engine bay for a reason. That's a high pressure area and will serve to significantly reduce airflow through your heat exchangers.

Finally; If you've removed the stock miata undertray PUT IT BACK.

That undertray serves to protect the engine and belts from crap coming up from the bottom. In my honest opinion, thats a SIDE EFFECT.

The undertray serves VERY EFFECTIVELY to increase the pressure differential across the heat exchangers. If you don't have the undertray, you've commited thermal suicide.
Bought the car a month ago and it didn't come with an undertray. Also haven't done a coolant reroute. Is a kit required or can it be done for cheap? I'll swap out the system with water, since that's easy.
jbrown7815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mount Prospect, IL
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

The bigger Koyo is a good solution


Another thing you can do in summer is remove the thermostat completely (it is removed from my track Spec Miata along with the A/C and I never have overheating problems even when in an hour race on a 98 degree day with 100% humidity!)
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portales, NM
Posts: 837
Total Cats: 2
Default

Excuse my ignorance but what does removing the thermostat do?
jbrown7815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

even the manual says only 40% antifreeze at most.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mount Prospect, IL
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7815 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what does removing the thermostat do?
it opens up to much more free flowing (ever notice how small an amount of fluid is actually allowed through even with a thermostat open?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
even the manual says only 40% antifreeze at most.

in w2w racing, antifreeze isn't even allowed so distilled water and water wetter is how everyone on-track does it (along with no thermostat)
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mount Prospect, IL
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

BTW: I do NOT have that under tray on my SM any more (and it did a 10 hour enduro like that before I even bought the car!)
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

+1 on the Hood extractor. Do this
https://www.miataturbo.net/showthrea...ght=carbontrix
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
<-- has one for sale.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7815 View Post
Bought the car a month ago and it didn't come with an undertray.
I noticed a difference during freeway driving by adding/removing this alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7815 View Post
Also haven't done a coolant reroute. Is a kit required or can it be done for cheap? I'll swap out the system with water, since that's easy.
http://tinyurl.com/3xjuabj
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
BTW: I do NOT have that under tray on my SM any more (and it did a 10 hour enduro like that before I even bought the car!)
Your SM doesn't show these symptoms because it has a much bigger problem; it suffers from never-ending turbo lag
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mount Prospect, IL
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

When going to refill the system with water, remember it will take several fills and drains to get a good amount of the antifreeze out (I think we did a fill and drain 4x to get it all out of the system)
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 411
Total Cats: 1
Default

I'm going through the same issues on the street only when the AC is turned on.

1. Run a 90/10 mixture water/antifreeze (or water wetter)
2. Add the coolant reroute
3. Duct everything from the front bumper to the radiator (this is my next step to see if it helps)
RavynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

it was 102*F out at lunch. i was running the a/c and my coolant temps didnt get over 202*F in stop and go traffic. ha.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mount Prospect, IL
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

remove the thermostat and see how much cooler you run (I hope you have a REAL water temp gauge installed btw)
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

removing the thermostat does nothing. unless it's stuck closed.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I already told you what to do in email, and that was to make ducting to force air through the heat exchangers.
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...ategoryID=2749

Right now ISC racing has the best water reroute on the market if you can't make your own, like a man. You have to call them though because their website sucks my ***...and feel free to send me their rear swaybar as a service fee. Any reroute you buy from anyone else will have shitty adapters, external thermostat housings, and crappy rubber hose with a spring in it. The ISC one is all metal and all man, and I know you have a thing for men in general. You don't have to deal with 4' of rubber hose to weather and fail in a couple years.

I built my own out of necessity because I demand reliability first and foremost. I bet Abe could make a copy of mine if you're interested. He's about to convert mine to hardpipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynX View Post
I'm going through the same issues on the street only when the AC is turned on.

1. Run a 90/10 mixture water/antifreeze (or water wetter)
2. Add the coolant reroute
3. Duct everything from the front bumper to the radiator (this is my next step to see if it helps)
I thought a shop was going to "move the intercooler" in a failed attempt to make it cool?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Bizarre connection issue? nick470 MEGAsquirt 1 09-30-2015 11:32 PM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.