Upper VICS Mod for turbo cars. - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #81
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Sounds good. No problem getting it back to you whatsoever, but be sure to pack them well Pinky!
Oh, I'm already working on the box.... ;^)
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #82
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Got bad news from TSE, bros.

Engine should be to me by the first or second week of April. That delays my build plans by 4 weeks.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #83
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
I'd like to get a VTCS and a Flat Top manifold confirmed for this if I can find people willing to contribute for comparison's sake.
My flat top will be there! Once it gets here (hasn't arrived yet, should be here early next week).
canyonarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #84
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
what if you replace the plenum with an MP62 and the short runners with a TRUBOCHORGER.
I know you were being sarcastic but...wonder if we could adapt a TB to Tom's FFS intake manifold? It would be completely different than any of the other ones, ultra short runners.



Then, just to be complete, someone should also buy one of BEGi's IM's:

Mazda Miata Intake Manifold 1999-2005
canyonarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #85
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,181
Total Cats: 2,581
Default

TB?
is the mammoth 70mm that's on there already not high flowing enough?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #86
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonarrow View Post
My flat top will be there! Once it gets here (hasn't arrived yet, should be here early next week).
Awesome.

We'll revisit this ASAP if TSE makes their quoted delivery date. I'm arranging for time off so I can speed up the build.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #87
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Awesome.

We'll revisit this ASAP if TSE makes their quoted delivery date. I'm arranging for time off so I can speed up the build.
Can you weigh them all too? I'm curious how much the extra runners, VICS gear, etc. weigh vs. the squaretop.

I know it doesn't really matter but I'm curious in the event that I decide to return to N/A with the squaretop. If I do go N/A, I'll be trying to trim weight wherever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
TB?
is the mammoth 70mm that's on there already not high flowing enough?
No; the 70mm is feeding a supercharger. I meant pull off the SC and make an adapter so you can put a TB directly on the FFS manifold, and see how well it works with teh trubo.
canyonarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #88
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,181
Total Cats: 2,581
Default

I can tell you right now and save you the money and time: it would be terrible. even worse than the stock intake manifold. Less plenum volume AND completely eliminated runners, AND no flow. Literally the worst of all scenarios.

also the flattop weighs almost the same as the stocker. very little weight difference.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #89
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonarrow View Post
Then, just to be complete, someone should also buy one of BEGi's IM's:

Mazda Miata Intake Manifold 1999-2005
I offered up my cast Begi IM to Blean for testing. He has decided against it for a few reasons. The two big ones are TPS would have to be changed, and IC piping would have to change. So it is more then he wants to do between dyno runs and such.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #90
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,857
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

at least with some of the testing, all that might be required is changing the upper.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #91
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

I don't mind changing the IM completely (I.e. squaretop or VTCS), but if there is electrical components involved that require substantial changing (I.e. a completely different TPS or throttle body), it substantially complicates things unfortunately.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #92
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
I don't mind changing the IM completely (I.e. squaretop or VTCS), but if there is electrical components involved that require substantial changing (I.e. a completely different TPS or throttle body), it substantially complicates things unfortunately.
What are you going to use for a throttle body?

Vlad RTV'd the **** out of the TB flange on his flat top, so I don't think it's coming off. Ever. But if a stock NB TB will throw off the test, I'll keep working on it.
canyonarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #93
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonarrow View Post
What are you going to use for a throttle body?

Vlad RTV'd the **** out of the TB flange on his flat top, so I don't think it's coming off. Ever. But if a stock NB TB will throw off the test, I'll keep working on it.
Stock NB TPS is what I'm looking for.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #94
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 370
Total Cats: 62
Default

Subd for empirical research. Liking the VICS switchable idea.
hankclaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #95
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

The Modified VICS manifold went out today- Holy **** Son, do you live in the boonies or what?!? It cost a goddamned fortune to ship it! All in the name of research I suppose.

Enjoy the packaging….
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #96
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

Sub'd for packaging pics.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #97
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
The Modified VICS manifold went out today- Holy **** Son, do you live in the boonies or what?!? It cost a goddamned fortune to ship it! All in the name of research I suppose.

Enjoy the packaging….
I maintain an address in the middle of nowhere (That is unfortunately a several hour drive from where I live now) where I work on cars for two reasons...

1) No one gives a **** if I'm up at 1am in the morning banging on cars, running exhaustless, or any other whacky **** I end up doing there

2) No emissions. No inspections. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Pay my cash, get new tabs no matter the condition or the state of the car there.

So, yeah, that address is completely and totally out in the boonies is what I'm getting at. As far and as cheap as is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball
Sub'd for packaging pics.
I'll be sure to get lots of packaging pics. I'm actually halfway afraid to find out about the special job that Pinky made up, considering the area.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #98
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
I maintain an address in the middle of nowhere (That is unfortunately a several hour drive from where I live now) where I work on cars for two reasons...

1) No one gives a **** if I'm up at 1am in the morning banging on cars, running exhaustless, or any other whacky **** I end up doing there

2) No emissions. No inspections. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Pay my cash, get new tabs no matter the condition or the state of the car there.

So, yeah, that address is completely and totally out in the boonies is what I'm getting at. As far and as cheap as is possible.



I'll be sure to get lots of packaging pics. I'm actually halfway afraid to find out about the special job that Pinky made up, considering the area.
Consider having packages shipped to a less remote address- it cost me $70+ to ship one manifold!! But, given that it will absolutely cement my place as The King Of Very Rude Packaging, worth every penny.

(Hint - You may want to roll video…)
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #99
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,181
Total Cats: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonarrow View Post
What are you going to use for a throttle body?

Vlad RTV'd the **** out of the TB flange on his flat top, so I don't think it's coming off. Ever. But if a stock NB TB will throw off the test, I'll keep working on it.
it was a thin layer of the strongest automotive silicone, don't hate

I don't mess around with potential leaks lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Stock NB TPS is what I'm looking for.
then his will work fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
given that it will absolutely cement my place as The King Of Very Rude Packaging, worth every penny.

(Hint - You may want to roll video…)
sounds promising
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #100
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
it was a thin layer of the strongest automotive silicone, don't hate

I don't mess around with potential leaks lol
Between the silicone and the 400ft-lbs you used to bolt the TB to the manifold, I think your manifold would rupture before that joint would fail!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
Consider having packages shipped to a less remote address- it cost me $70+ to ship one manifold!! But, given that it will absolutely cement my place as The King Of Very Rude Packaging, worth every penny.

(Hint - You may want to roll video…)


Did you stuff the entire manifold with packing peanuts? If not, Vlad has you beat there. I should have taken pictures.

Although my friends did enjoy watching me blow out my intake manifold like 'a retarded kid playing the French Horn.'

They were also amused that there were some loose bolts in the bottom of the box; I remedied this by pouring the packing peanuts out on my friend's living room floor. When he started complaining I drowned him out with mah 'tard horn.

Everything looks great, Vlad. Thanks again!

Ugh...just realized I could have just left the peanuts in there and let Blaen's engine eat them.


Anyway, Blaen, I need your address. I can ship it early next week.

-Mike
canyonarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Tags
legendary dick box

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.