Big Brake Discussions - Page 14 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #261
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 1,057
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Wilwood caliper part # 120-5005

Wilwood pad part # 150-8850K(BP-10 pads)

are these calipers the only ones that would work? im sure there are other models that might fit as well?

EDIT: ah nevermind. i just noticed they are the correct sizes for the corrado rotors. if we used different rotors, im sure we can fit a different caliper, but that defeats the purpose of having bigger brakes if we go with something smaller.
Marc D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #262
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,614
Total Cats: 2
Default

Are we talking using the Wilwoods for all 4 corners?

If so, what about using the Wilwood/Coronado combo up front, and using the 1.8's in rear? Throw off the braking balance? Or good way to skim some money?
TonyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #263
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Brain,

Me thinks though dost misunderstood. I am not advocating track pads for the street. I am saying use track pads for the track. Use street pads on the street. For the vast majority of people I THINK big brakes aren't going to be an advantage. Big brakes are big for a larger swept area for more bite and more surface area to dissipate heat.

I thought this was a general discussion about big brakes in addition to a how to. I used the spec miata example to demonstrate that our stock rotors and calipers provide plenty of clamping power and great fade resistence even in extreme use. I'm not a believer in big brakes, particularly only doing the fronts. Brake balance is too important in a panic situation and often ignored by street tuners. Stopping in a straight line is one thing. Stopping and turning with a poorly balanced system is another.

I'm likely completely wrong on the issue! I know that. I'm not an expert and certainly don't pretend to be. I simply haven't seen real world testing proving the benefits of big brakes on our cars. Also I'm a cheap bastard that doesn't want to spend hard earned money unless it's a proven benefit.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #264
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, TX yall
Posts: 849
Total Cats: 0
Default

Almost 6000 views, wow. Some people are really interested in a good DIY BBK.

The fixed calipers are also supposed to give you better brake feel as compared to our floating design.

Chris
Miatamaniac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #265
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvalenziano View Post
Are we talking using the Wilwoods for all 4 corners?

If so, what about using the Wilwood/Coronado combo up front, and using the 1.8's in rear? Throw off the braking balance? Or good way to skim some money?
I think 11" fronts and Sport/01+ rears would provide good balance. You could always get an adjustable bias valve to fine tune to yuor liking. Wiliwood sells them as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy88000 View Post
are these calipers the only ones that would work? im sure there are other models that might fit as well?

EDIT: ah nevermind. i just noticed they are the correct sizes for the corrado rotors. if we used different rotors, im sure we can fit a different caliper, but that defeats the purpose of having bigger brakes if we go with something smaller.
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...ategoryID=4478

These calipers are used in many of the BBK kits and the pads offer greater surface area than the other wilwood caliper posted in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
Almost 6000 views, wow. Some people are really interested in a good DIY BBK.

The fixed calipers are also supposed to give you better brake feel as compared to our floating design.

Chris
I've often heard fixed calipers are harder on wheel bearings.
silentbob343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #266
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 1,057
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob343 View Post

http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...ategoryID=4478

These calipers are used in many of the BBK kits and the pads offer greater surface area than the other wilwood caliper posted in this thread.
ah HA! thats it! not to mention 25 dollars cheaper! thanks
Marc D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #267
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy88000 View Post
ah HA! thats it! not to mention 25 dollars cheaper! thanks
No problem.

A lot of this stuff was discussed in the Miata.net thread I linked to earlier. They even calculated some of the braking forces with diffferent master cylinder and piston combos as Wilwood offers several piston diameters and many people move up to a larger MC.

Actually made an excel spread sheet so you can plug in numbers;
http://home.comcast.net/~silentbob343/Brake%20Calcs.zip

These results will vary slightly from the numbers found in the miata.net thread as I found some small errors in the calcs and fixed them.
silentbob343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #268
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,877
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
I'm likely completely wrong on the issue! I know that. I'm not an expert and certainly don't pretend to be. I simply haven't seen real world testing proving the benefits of big brakes on our cars. Also I'm a cheap bastard that doesn't want to spend hard earned money unless it's a proven benefit.


Every single person that's driven my miata with my 1.8L brake upgrade comments on my brakes being far superior. Every time I drive a 1.6L miata, even with the same pad, I comment on how shitty the brakes are.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #269
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

1.8 brakes are far superior. More clamping and more leverage.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #270
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 126
Total Cats: 1
Default

not to change the subject, but can someone discribe the brakes in the OP? Moti's brakes didn't look much different that the old FM kit. If they are a big, unique, wilwoods, they are likely the brakes off my car that was stolen about 2 years ago. Anyone have info on who the person who put the ad up was?
Matt [exz3owner] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #271
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
Almost 6000 views, wow. Some people are really interested in a good DIY BBK.

The fixed calipers are also supposed to give you better brake feel as compared to our floating design.

Chris
OK! I'm an ***. Wasn't thinking about you 1.6 folks.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #272
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt [exz3owner] View Post
not to change the subject, but can someone discribe the brakes in the OP? Moti's brakes didn't look much different that the old FM kit. If they are a big, unique, wilwoods, they are likely the brakes off my car that was stolen about 2 years ago. Anyone have info on who the person who put the ad up was?
Did you try asking the person(Moti)who purchased the brakes? He would have a better idea who the person is.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #273
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 126
Total Cats: 1
Default

oh. didn't realise Moti was selling them. Moti got his brakes from the same guy I did, but Moti isn't dealing in stolen parts...
Matt [exz3owner] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #274
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Every single person that's driven my miata with my 1.8L brake upgrade comments on my brakes being far superior. Every time I drive a 1.6L miata, even with the same pad, I comment on how shitty the brakes are.
+1 i think there's a lot of old school miata.net wine and cheese wisdom playing in on the generally accepted "1.6 brakes are all you need". my swap to 1.8 was night and day in terms of overall clamping for and in modulation. the only thing i'm worried about is that the stiffer the suspension the more you can use your rear brakes i wouldn't want to go to overboard on the front without using more of the capacity of the rears
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #275
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

so, who wants to make me some caliper brackets for those wilwood calipers and 01+ sport rotors? id go with calipers off 01+ sport but im kind of skeptical about dumping $300+ on USED calipers. id rather pay for new ones.
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #276
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoot View Post
so, who wants to make me some caliper brackets for those wilwood calipers and 01+ sport rotors?
That kit already exists,it's made by Chikara motorsports,they also sell just the caliper brackets.

www.chikaramotorsports.com
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #277
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

never mind guys, i just bought all 4 calipers and brackets off 01+ sport for $180 shipped! :-P
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #278
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
That kit already exists,it's made by Chikara motorsports,they also sell just the caliper brackets.

www.chikaramotorsports.com

they list them at around $3 per bracket?
that's dirt cheap
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #279
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

^ I'm pretty sure it's typo.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #280
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Here is a thread to our Big Brake Kit using the Corrado rotors..

https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t28696/#post335453
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.