NA & NB Miata Hood Louvers - Gauging Interest - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #41
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,864
Total Cats: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Hi, id like to see the product and maybe intersted in South Africa. However ive been contemplating the Nissan GTR35 vents which is a NACA duct tried and tested. Thats about as nice a duct as you gonna get and probably as effective as well? food for thought? just my their expensive as hell though
If you're talking about the R35 GTR, the naca ducts on that hood intake air, they do not vent air. They are there for the purpose of blowing cooler air over the turbo area, not to increase effectiveness of the radiator or to reduce under-hood pressure (the two goals of a hood vent/louver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasFalk View Post
A not so serious suggestion:
Make the vents out of the hood itself (only the "prop" part needs fabricating, the template can be printed)?

Not serious since the hood Alu is thin; cutting it with control is not easy, it will break in the twisted parts (over time at least).

But if it would have been easy to do it would have been elegant, not even needing paint
I see what you're getting at but besides the downsides of being far more complex and very expensive to package/ship, the nice thing about these louvres is that the 'twisted' section hides underneath the hood material. The fins of the louver are all that are visible from the top, which makes for a nice clean appearance. That wouldn't be achievable if the louvers were in the same layer as the hood.

-Ryan
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #42
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
paNX2K&SE-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 676
Total Cats: 11
Default

Interested.
paNX2K&SE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #43
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 598
Total Cats: 31
Default

In for NA.
SchmoozerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #44
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 528
Total Cats: 24
Default

In for a NB set.

Looked at the other thread and was slightly disappointed you didn't post any updates to it. Then I saw this.
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #45
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 73
Total Cats: 0
Default

Interested for NA set
ryanmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #46
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,864
Total Cats: 485
Default

I have some preliminary louvers coming from the waterjetter probably later this week. Most likely not the final shape, but will be something to get my hands on and play with.

In the mean time, we are in the process of becoming authorized vendors and I have a set of pressure gauges on the way to do some specific testing - these louvers will ultimately be based around what works best according to the data for our cars, not just what should work in theory

-Ryan

Last edited by ThePass; 07-21-2014 at 04:20 AM.
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #47
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arvida, Québec, Canada
Posts: 42
Total Cats: 4
Default

That is product development like I like it. I'd be in for a NA set!
Dalardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 433
Total Cats: 28
Default

Interested for NA.
Roda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #49
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 40
Default

I'm at stock power level with no cooling mods or ducting, but I would be interested in a NB set if properly executed, with a proven decrease in underhood pressure. At least in theory, these should always increase cooling ability on street cars and track cars alike (unless car is going backwards at high speeds ), although track users with ducting would reap more rewards, correct?

On a side note, will the louvers be protruding the OML of the factory hood? I am asking because this would likely affect the pressure map of the hood, in some manner or another.

I need to start slowly buying things as they come to the market. Keep up the development!
Dustin1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montréal, Qc
Posts: 62
Total Cats: 8
Default

Paypal ready, for NA.

Better be available in chrome to fit with my style bar.
PaCHeKo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #51
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 514
Total Cats: 33
Default

Sarcasm? Since these will be shipped flat and require manhandling to install it seems like uncoated would be the best option. It would also keep the price and inventory down. I don't think chrome, powdercoat, or even good paint would hold up to the twisting to get the louvers into position.
TheScaryOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #52
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaryOne View Post
Sarcasm? Since these will be shipped flat and require manhandling to install it seems like uncoated would be the best option. It would also keep the price and inventory down. I don't think chrome, powdercoat, or even good paint would hold up to the twisting to get the louvers into position.
It was definitely sarcasm...
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokomis View Post
It'd also be helpful to get an idea of which chassis, NA or NB, people would be more interested. If you can, please post which one you'd be interested in buying!
Go ahead and bring the NB version to market first. That'll give the NA guys a little more time to save up.
Double O 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montréal, Qc
Posts: 62
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaryOne View Post
Sarcasm?
Yes, it was. I feel bad now. :(
PaCHeKo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #55
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arvida, Québec, Canada
Posts: 42
Total Cats: 4
Default

Commit to buy a set or 2 and it should be forgotten
Dalardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #56
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 659
Total Cats: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
I have some preliminary louvers coming from the waterjetter probably later this week. Most likely not the final shape, but will be something to get my hands on and play with.

In the mean time, we are in the process of becoming authorized vendors and I have a set of pressure gauges on the way to do some specific testing - these louvers will ultimately be based around what works best according to the data for our cars, not just what should work in theory

-Ryan


HNNNGGGGGGGGGGG
mlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #57
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
williams805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goleta, Southern California
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O 86 View Post
I'll take an NB set. Where shall I PayPal?
I'm in. Paypal address stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O 86 View Post
I am also interested in the response to the rain issue.
I'm in so cal, no care.
williams805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #58
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay Varina NC
Posts: 2
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ha! Just joined the forum because of this thread and the potential to jump in on a set of well thought-out hood vents for the NA... Please produce these and take our $$$.

Need help pulling some under hood heat away from this aluminum lump:



Attached Thumbnails
NA & NB Miata Hood Louvers - Gauging Interest-img_0773.jpg   NA & NB Miata Hood Louvers - Gauging Interest-img_1119.jpg  
ToySnakePMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #59
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

I've almost cut "H"s into my my hood a few times to make louvers and gourney flaps, but I'm not that experienced with metalworking so I don't know how well that'd work. To clarify, your proposed vents would have flat pieces of metal connected to the overall piece by small tabs. The larger part would be bent down to form a louver and the smaller part would be bent up to form a gourney flap (which by nature rises above the hood around it) to aid the louver behind it. Thats what it looks like from your CAD drawing. Is that about right? I was a little confused from what you said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
I see what you're getting at but besides the downsides of being far more complex and very expensive to package/ship, the nice thing about these louvres is that the 'twisted' section hides underneath the hood material. The fins of the louver are all that are visible from the top, which makes for a nice clean appearance. That wouldn't be achievable if the louvers were in the same layer as the hood.
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #60
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5autoxer View Post
I've almost cut "H"s into my my hood a few times to make louvers and gourney flaps, but I'm not that experienced with metalworking so I don't know how well that'd work. To clarify, your proposed vents would have flat pieces of metal connected to the overall piece by small tabs. The larger part would be bent down to form a louver and the smaller part would be bent up to form a gourney flap (which by nature rises above the hood around it) to aid the louver behind it. Thats what it looks like from your CAD drawing. Is that about right? I was a little confused from what you said here:
Like this but in a different spot and with more front and stuff?



It was ok. The paint all cracked and shitty at the crease but honestly I didnt give a **** and knew that it would and I did nothing to attempt to mitigate it like use the heat gun or go slow. Its mildly difficult, not too bad. And speaking of rain. That car got left outside in the torrential downpours today while I did the timing belt on my dad's miata and it started up fine and ****. I wouldnt worry about rain in through the vents unless you can see the top of the valve cover through the vents, then you could worry about water pooling in the spark plug wells. But nothing else in the bay really gives a **** about rain, I mean think about how much water passes through the radiator when you drive in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
NA & NB Miata Hood Louvers - Gauging Interest-img_20140316_165901.jpg  
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
Obligatory "N00B" post! D_Breezy Meet and Greet 5 09-08-2015 06:37 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.