What to fix on my Fuel System? - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #121
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Replaced the intercooler pipe, gained some power....

Makes 36% more power at 5,800 RPMs than it did before. Based on the fact that the torque line was still going up at 5,800 RPMs, I SUSPECT it's making more power at higher RPMs. But no proof of that. Percent improvements over old setup:

2,800 RPMs = 119whp/221 ft*lbs (+4%)
4,200 RPMs = 220whp/272 ft*lbs (+3%)
5,800 RPMs = 326whp/301 ft*lbs (+36%)
6,900 RPMs = ?????????

Attached Thumbnails
What to fix on my Fuel System?-11.27.2015_zps70hlaw9u.jpg  
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #122
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 1,038
Total Cats: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
I honestly have no idea on the pressure. I was actually still using the stock NA Fuel pressure regulator. So what ever that worked out to.

I'll need to search through my email but I should have the data log from the dyno pull I posted earlier.

Yea, I am on C16 but David made similar power to my setup on E85 with basically the same fuel system I have.

It is important to note that the dyno graph I posted was from DIYAutoTune's dyno which has shown to read @ 11% - 13% more conservative than a "EgoJet" with the same car on the same day.
Looks like at 8,135 RPM I hit the highest duty cycle which is 72.8% and a pulse-width of 10.734ms. I wish I knew what the fuel pressure was but unfortunately I don't(It's whatever the "overpowered" stock FPR makes with a Walbro 255lph HP pump). The specific gravity of the fuel I run is .735 at 60 degrees F. if that help
TNTUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #123
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,878
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
Looks like at 8,135 RPM I hit the highest duty cycle which is 72.8% and a pulse-width of 10.734ms. I wish I knew what the fuel pressure was but unfortunately I don't(It's whatever the "overpowered" stock FPR makes with a Walbro 255lph HP pump). The specific gravity of the fuel I run is .735 at 60 degrees F. if that help
The "overpowered" stock FPR is unpredictable, the output depends on voltage and pump health.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:05 AM   #124
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

As an update, I made some changes to my cold air intake that significantly increased the airflow going into the motor. Enough that I maxed out my injectors at 60 PSI base pressure and hit 100% duty cycle @ 13.5 AFRs.... This was with the twin 255 Walbros.

My guess is fuel pressure dropping out. So I hooked up a sensor and confirmed. Then did math based on AFR and fuel burned, calculated required cc's/min to hit target AFR with 90% duty cycle, and then spec'd pumps that would flow the required amount at the pressure I needed to keep my ID 1000's.

Numbers are: 75 PSI base pressure gives me 1,330 cc/min on my ID 1000's. Based on my calcs, that should put me around 90% duty cycle if the fuel pumps could deliver 75 PSI + 30 PSI for boost = 105 PSI.

A Walbro 450 and a Walbro 255HP together meet the requirements with about 20% headroom. Ordered/installed. Retuned fuel.

Now at 90% duty cycle at target AFR with rock solid fuel pressure all the way to redline. Math was spot-on. I have calculations, logs, and data if anyone wants to see it. Car is bananas. Que 3 people to tell me to dyno it.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #125
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

so..um..where's the dyno?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #126
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,999
Total Cats: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
As an update, I made some changes to my cold air intake that significantly increased the airflow going into the motor. Enough that I maxed out my injectors at 60 PSI base pressure and hit 100% duty cycle @ 13.5 AFRs.... This was with the twin 255 Walbros.

My guess is fuel pressure dropping out. So I hooked up a sensor and confirmed. Then did math based on AFR and fuel burned, calculated required cc's/min to hit target AFR with 90% duty cycle, and then spec'd pumps that would flow the required amount at the pressure I needed to keep my ID 1000's.

Numbers are: 75 PSI base pressure gives me 1,330 cc/min on my ID 1000's. Based on my calcs, that should put me around 90% duty cycle if the fuel pumps could deliver 75 PSI + 30 PSI for boost = 105 PSI.

A Walbro 450 and a Walbro 255HP together meet the requirements with about 20% headroom. Ordered/installed. Retuned fuel.

Now at 90% duty cycle at target AFR with rock solid fuel pressure all the way to redline. Math was spot-on. I have calculations, logs, and data if anyone wants to see it. Car is bananas. Que 3 people to tell me to dyno it.
Go dyno your junk.

Surprised the 255 was necessary next to the 450. Soviet made 450hp on one with id1000s.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 AM   #127
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

No. 3 says dyno.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:20 AM   #128
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

I originally thought twin 255's would be enough. They were border line ok if you go buy the charts posted AND you give both pumps 13.5V under full load. But throw in a few PSI pressure drop in the lines/filter at really high flow rate, and a bit of voltage sag, and after 6,500 the pressure was falling out from under me limiting my fuel.

This setup has about 20% headroom in the pumps on paper.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #129
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,999
Total Cats: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
I originally thought twin 255's would be enough. They were border line ok if you go buy the charts posted AND you give both pumps 13.5V under full load. But throw in a few PSI pressure drop in the lines/filter at really high flow rate, and a bit of voltage sag, and after 6,500 the pressure was falling out from under me limiting my fuel.

This setup has about 20% headroom in the pumps on paper.
Interesting. What's your wiring to the pump? Stock connector?
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #130
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Interesting. What's your wiring to the pump? Stock connector?
40A fuse, 10 guage wires, 50A relay, 10 guage wires through the sending unit straight to the pumps.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #131
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Nobody gives half a **** what it does on paper, go dyno your goddamn car.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #132
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Nobody gives half a **** what it does on paper, go dyno your goddamn car.
It's probably like 200whp.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.