eBay turbo kits - Page 8 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #141
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
I screwed up my motor the first time I did it with band aids and a crappy setup. You get over it.
Yikes ! Sorry to hear that.

I had the wisdom to buy a MS ECU first so I should be able to start slow in a manner of speaking
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #142
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

One thing that I find interesting is that you can go to Flea bay and find (for example ) Miata turbo down pipes and Miata turbo manifolds but the kits that seem to try to pass themselves as more or less complete lack these vital items.
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #143
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wow, very helpful post
socalspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #144
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
chicksdigmiatas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,284
Total Cats: 9
Default

cerealsly?
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #145
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdigmiatas View Post
cerealsly?
There's a ton of good stuff in here. Turbo no hit block!
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #146
Want fries with that?
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 2,023
Total Cats: -1
Default

Has anyone run the CXracing kit yet?
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...&Category_Code

It seems like CXracing actually puts some thought towards R&D. Only thing I would be worried about is the manifold. that kit + some decent fuel control (MS) would be nice, if the parts aren't horrific quality.
rider384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #147
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,047
Total Cats: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider384 View Post
Has anyone run the CXracing kit yet?
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...&Category_Code

It seems like CXracing actually puts some thought towards R&D. Only thing I would be worried about is the manifold. that kit + some decent fuel control (MS) would be nice, if the parts aren't horrific quality.
I think UrbanSoot was going to try it out a few years ago and possibly sell them. It was either the CXracing kit or one very similar to it. I do not think it turned out to well.

Last edited by shuiend; 02-08-2011 at 05:46 PM.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #148
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 2,667
Total Cats: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider384 View Post
It seems like CXracing actually puts some thought towards R&D.

Yeah, they have someone who actually speaks english write a product description for china parts.
shlammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #149
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Watch out, they say it "not fit 1.8L," but they don't say "it not hit block." That is concerning.

CXRacing sells through ebay and if it was available for $600ish I would probably try it.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #150
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,047
Total Cats: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I think UrbanSoot was going to try it out a few years ago and possibly sell them. It was either the CXracing kit or one very similar to it. I do not think it turned out to well.
I liked, Urban tried the Turbo Specialties kit and you can find more info in This thread.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #151
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

i read most of this but not all so im probably going to get raped for this, but what do you guys think of this kit for ebay? but with an mspnp added

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90...Q5fAccessories

edit; **** me its on page 7..
idylan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #152
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylan123 View Post
i read most of this but not all so im probably going to get raped for this, but what do you guys think of this kit for ebay? but with an mspnp added

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90...Q5fAccessories

edit; **** me its on page 7..
Not sure how the cast mani's do, I know some people tried them and had success. But for that much money, I would go with a reputable setup and not risk it.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #153
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

the cast mani would probably be the most reliable ebay mani imo. just because its not tubular. i mean the kit looks like itd do pretty well, on 7 lbs you dont really need an ms, if you have the right fuel management, but then again, how can you trust that the ebay fmu,regulator, and pump work correctly..

edit; but ****, ive been going through ebay picking single items that are all in the kit, without some things you dont need, and its a fraction of the price to buy it separely, without the pre fabbed intercooler kit, but hey.
idylan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #154
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
chicksdigmiatas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,284
Total Cats: 9
Default

Where did the bugzapper for noobs tag go?
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #155
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

thanks bud
idylan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #156
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default Ebay Crap only option

Alright, I JUST finished reading every page of this thread (some links didn't work anymore) and the information has been really helpful. Unfortunately, I'm still a little curious (and am fully prepared to be berated for it) as to whether or not an ebay 'kit' might be able to work for me.

While I wish I could afford an FM or BEGi kit, I really just can't. That being said I have pretty low goals for power as well which is something that hasn't really been addressed in this thread (and many others) very well. I'm only looking to push about 150hp and from the reading I've been doing, a nice conservative 7psi of boost from a turbo with and intercooler, exhaust and intake should get me around this number. (I mention that the subject of low hp hasn't been addressed because most complaints of poor quality and cheap parts failing seem to be reported happening at 10psi+ and 200hp+)

So, I've been looking at some kits on ebay which have a variety of completeness, but a couple seem like with some extra purchasing and patience could get me to my goal. One turbo 'kit' offers the following:
-T3/T4 Turbo (other kits offer T25/28 turbos, or GT35? turbos. no idea what's better)
-intercooler (I've heard these are junk, but once again I'm not looking to drag race this thing)
-piping kit w/T-clamps
-BOV
-External Wastegate
-Oil catch tank w/crap return line & stainless feed line
-Boost Controller
-Turbo Timer (is there another name for this?)
-Fuel Pressure Regulator

I'm fully aware that I'll need a manifold, flange, downpipe, ECU, and I'll assume that from what I've read I'll need to buy a BOV and Wastegate. What else am I missing? Also, everyone loves megasqrt, but is there a cheaper ECU management system that will work for someone that's not pushing hard? And, because I'm hoping to run such low boost levels is it safe to assume my stock injectors and fuel pump will work for me?

My Background: I'm a senior at Boise State University, I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, I used to be a motorcycle mechanic so I'm good with a wrench, I have access to all of my schools cnc machining and cad software so minor parts I can just build if I need to. I just bought my first miata (always wanted one) last week and I have access to a full garage with car lifts, engine lifts etc.

Thanks for any support, this forum is awesome. I'm prepared for all criticism.

Ken
Kenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #157
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 14,391
Total Cats: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko View Post
Alright, I JUST finished reading every page of this thread (some links didn't work anymore) and the information has been really helpful. Unfortunately, I'm still a little curious (and am fully prepared to be berated for it) as to whether or not an ebay 'kit' might be able to work for me.

While I wish I could afford an FM or BEGi kit, I really just can't. That being said I have pretty low goals for power as well which is something that hasn't really been addressed in this thread (and many others) very well. I'm only looking to push about 150hp and from the reading I've been doing, a nice conservative 7psi of boost from a turbo with and intercooler, exhaust and intake should get me around this number. (I mention that the subject of low hp hasn't been addressed because most complaints of poor quality and cheap parts failing seem to be reported happening at 10psi+ and 200hp+)

So, I've been looking at some kits on ebay which have a variety of completeness, but a couple seem like with some extra purchasing and patience could get me to my goal. One turbo 'kit' offers the following:
-T3/T4 Turbo (other kits offer T25/28 turbos, or GT35? turbos. no idea what's better)
-intercooler (I've heard these are junk, but once again I'm not looking to drag race this thing)
-piping kit w/T-clamps
-BOV
-External Wastegate
-Oil catch tank w/crap return line & stainless feed line
-Boost Controller
-Turbo Timer (is there another name for this?)
-Fuel Pressure Regulator

I'm fully aware that I'll need a manifold, flange, downpipe, ECU, and I'll assume that from what I've read I'll need to buy a BOV and Wastegate. What else am I missing? Also, everyone loves megasqrt, but is there a cheaper ECU management system that will work for someone that's not pushing hard? And, because I'm hoping to run such low boost levels is it safe to assume my stock injectors and fuel pump will work for me?

My Background: I'm a senior at Boise State University, I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, I used to be a motorcycle mechanic so I'm good with a wrench, I have access to all of my schools cnc machining and cad software so minor parts I can just build if I need to. I just bought my first miata (always wanted one) last week and I have access to a full garage with car lifts, engine lifts etc.

Thanks for any support, this forum is awesome. I'm prepared for all criticism.

Ken
Buy your parts individually, and preferably quality parts but used ones. The intercooler is actually one of the only good parts from ebay. And the turbos are ok. You don't need a BOV at less than 10psi and the ebay ones are known to leak. Get a BEGi RRFPR if you can't swing a megasquirt, but if you can't afford a $400 MS, you have no business trying to put a turbo on your car.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #158
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wow thanks sixshooter, that's a lot cheaper than what I thought. I must have been looking in the wrong place cause I was looking at MS parts for $700. Would you recommend the MS-I or the MS-II seeing as I'm just looking for 150hp?
Kenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #159
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34,370
Total Cats: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko View Post
Alright, I JUST finished reading every page of this thread (some links didn't work anymore) and the information has been really helpful. Unfortunately, I'm still a little curious (and am fully prepared to be berated for it) as to whether or not an ebay 'kit' might be able to work for me.

While I wish I could afford an FM or BEGi kit, I really just can't. Ken
You sound like you're quite a bit smarter than the typical n00b that wants "mad tYte ebaY truboZ n ****" so I'll be honest with you:

If you can't afford new quality parts get used quality parts. If you can't afford used quality parts YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS MODDING A CAR. Plain and simple.

You can pinch pennies on some parts, no problem there at all, but on some you just can't.

I think the ebay turbo kits are getting better and some might even work for a length of time, but honestly at least a third or half of the **** in them is garbage, and by the time you're done replacing the "little things" with quality itmes that won't leak/break/melt you've spent the same money as someone else did on a used quality kit.

Its really not worth it.

In my opinion,
MANDATORY good quality items:
manifold
downpipe
engine management
feed/return lines

Things you can get knockoffs of:
fmic
exhaust
bov
turbocharger


I may have missed something but that's the jist of it for the most part.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #160
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 14,391
Total Cats: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko View Post
Wow thanks sixshooter, that's a lot cheaper than what I thought. I must have been looking in the wrong place cause I was looking at MS parts for $700. Would you recommend the MS-I or the MS-II seeing as I'm just looking for 150hp?
Get a Braineak built MS-1 or a DIYPNP from him. People have made 300+whp on MS-1s so it will do fine for your needs. There is a sticky thread in the for sale section where Braineak has the info.

+1 for what 18psi said as well. Some parts you can trust knockoffs of, and some you shouldn't. There are pages and pages of threads including build threads on this forum that document what works and what fails. Frankly, at 6-7psi you can not only forgo buying a BOV, but an intercooler initially if you run conservative fuel and timing. Between the intercooler and the plumbing you will save a couple hundred. You will need that money to upgrade your clutch (which you will need to do before adding the turbo anyway). The stock clutch won't last when driven hard on stock power with sticky tires. You can smoke it in a moment with a little extra oomph.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 08:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 06:13 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-29-2015 11:04 PM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 07:03 PM


Tags
pre-assembled failure, turbo not hit block

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.